PDA

View Full Version : Paypal?

sikyon
2008-04-13, 12:11 PM
Does anyone have any experience using paypal? I was planning on getting an account to buy things online as I don't have a credit card but I was wondering if anyone had any experiences on it. Specifically, I'm finding it hard to believe that there arn't any fees for sending money.

NikkTheTrick
2008-04-13, 12:25 PM
Looks like they make money with ads. I used it and it was fine.

Hazkali
2008-04-13, 12:59 PM
I've used it once in conjunction with eBay, and I found it wonderful. Just a couple of clicks for secure, recorded money transfer- you get an email and the option to print out a log of the transfer. It's large, well-known and legitimate, so I don't think there's any problem with setting up an account with them. Wikipedia mentions a couple of lawsuits by disgruntled parties, but both were five years ago, and considering the thousands of people who use it, inevitable.

As for how they make money, I'm not sure entirely, but I thought they charged for some services like business accounts, and possibly for receiving money, but as I have no experience of either I couldn't say.

Mauve Shirt
2008-04-13, 02:17 PM
Paypal is great. I use it whenever I make an online purchase, if I can. I've also used it to collect money from bets made with people on my buddy list.

Miklus
2008-04-13, 03:02 PM
I works OK for me. I use it to pay for my Imperium Nova subscription.

Narmoth
2008-04-13, 03:15 PM
Does anyone have any experience using paypal? I was planning on getting an account to buy things online as I don't have a credit card
- you need a credit card og some kind to use paypal

but I was wondering if anyone had any experiences on it. Specifically, I'm finding it hard to believe that there arn't any fees for sending money.
there are fees, but they aren't high

Hazkali
2008-04-13, 03:30 PM

Not strictly true, debit cards can be used also. Sikyon, if you have a cashpoint card, check to see if it has the "Visa" logo on it- if so, it doubles up as a debit card and can be used with PayPal. If not, your bank might be able to issue you one, or you could get a pre-pay card that you can put credit on (much like a mobile phone).

sikyon
2008-04-13, 04:50 PM
Not strictly true, debit cards can be used also. Sikyon, if you have a cashpoint card, check to see if it has the "Visa" logo on it- if so, it doubles up as a debit card and can be used with PayPal. If not, your bank might be able to issue you one, or you could get a pre-pay card that you can put credit on (much like a mobile phone).

there are fees, but they aren't high

Actually, you can add money to your online paypal account directly through your bank accounts, or so I believe. I'm waiting on my bank to send my my transit/branch numbers before I can try it.

YPU
2008-04-13, 05:12 PM
Actually, you can add money to your online paypal account directly through your bank accounts, or so I believe. I'm waiting on my bank to send my my transit/branch numbers before I can try it.

yes you can, it works fine, but there is the problem of having another money pool so manage.

sikyon
2008-04-13, 05:13 PM
Actually, I was also interested in a prepaid credit card, possibly. Anyone know how long it takes/costs?

Mando Knight
2008-04-13, 06:02 PM
Paypal works. Especially if any of you want to give me money :smalltongue: ...

It is a fairly large and dependable online payment service, considering that nearly everyone on Ebay accepts it...

The Valiant Turtle
2008-04-13, 06:30 PM
E-bay actually owns Paypal and is considering switching to make payment by Paypal required. (so they can get an even larger cut.) Right now it's just highly encouraged.

Paypal makes the lions share of its money on the other end of the transaction. They charge to get money out.

The main thing to remember is that they do not consider themselves a bank and none of the usual banking regulations apply to them. It's possible that this will change soon. Actually, I believe in some countries they are regulated as a bank, but not yet in the U.S.

Renegade Paladin
2008-04-13, 07:31 PM
Their ToS allows them to steal your money any time they want for any or no reason. They did this to Something Awful's donation drive for Hurricane Katrina relief after the account hit $20,000.

sikyon
2008-04-13, 07:36 PM
Their ToS allows them to steal your money any time they want for any or no reason. They did this to Something Awful's donation drive for Hurricane Katrina relief after the account hit $20,000.

Yes, this is the primary reason I'm squeemish about using paypal, due to the very poor review from SA.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-14, 12:50 AM
Not using Paypal.
To much shipping costs.
Only when I'l go to America I'l go there and maybe buy something from the GitP shop or something...