PDA

View Full Version : Question on Advancing Monsters...

SamTheCleric
2008-04-13, 01:45 PM
When advancing a monster by Hit Dice... does the SR increase with the HD increase?

For Instance, I am advancing some Formian Winged Warriors from 6 HD to 18 HD. Base SR they have is 18. I would guess that means it's 12 + HD... which would give them SR 30. That seems a bit high. Help?

kamikasei
2008-04-13, 01:59 PM
I can't see any information about it; it seems like a creature's SR is just a special ability, not keyed off of anything, so if you increase it, you just have to eyeball the resulting increase in CR.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-13, 02:01 PM
Hmm... maybe a Improved SR feat somewhere?

I_Got_This_Name
2008-04-13, 02:42 PM
Either don't advance it, or advance it in parallel with CR.

bosssmiley
2008-04-13, 02:57 PM
The advancement for SR is never spelled out in a way that actually makes sense. As it's the only CR-based stat in the game (AFAIK) I'd recommend advancing it by the creature's CR.

The thing is, PCs get more than +1/level to their die roll as they level up. Part of the problem is all the bizarro bonus types doing the rounds. You might want to look at it in terms of percentage chance of affecting the creature at a given CR, rather than as a raw +1-1.5/CR addition.

I think The Dungeonomicon had a section on the "whuh?" nature of SR that explains the situation better than I ever could.