PDA

View Full Version : Kragor's gate guards: Speculation

Illiander
2008-04-13, 04:10 PM
Blink Dog Rogues!

I'm not that up on how all this would work, but here's the idea:

Give them a (custom) feat along the lines of:

Master Blinker:
PreReqs: Able to cast Blink and Dimension Door.
Effect: You have mastered control of your ability to blink, and can compleatly control how, when, and where you reappear, and can make a single attack as soon as you reappear, and can Dimension Door again after this attack.

Maybe split it into a 2-3 feat tree, adding in invunerability to weapons that can't hurt you when you're etherial if you see it coming (sneak attack rules?) for the last one.

Imagine, a pack of these guys are spotted on a hill, suddenly they disappear, and you hear a chorus of "SNEAK ATTACK" (in Blink Dog-ese) from behind you, and when you turn round, your entire army has just been massacred, and the Blink Dogs have dissapeared. Then they start surrounding Xykon, phasing in just long enough to bite off a bone, then phasing out and teleporting away, clearing space (in the same round) for one of their friends to do the same. Repeat for Readcloak :D Always attacking from directly behind him. Int 10, Wis 13 should be able to come up with this sort of plan (or at least understand it once an above-average guy explained it to them). And normally Lawful Good shouldn't have much of a problem defending the Gate, or even just defending the tomb of a worthy hero if they don't know about the gate. I'm thinking Tucker's Kobolds on the plains here, I can't think about a way to defeat them, but mabey I don't understand the rules for etherial creatures well enough.

factotum
2008-04-14, 12:19 AM
Kraagor's Gate is specifically mentioned as being guarded by the toughest, strongest creatures around, because of his belief in the power of physical might above everything else. A blink dog rogue seems a good deal too subtle for an idea like that.

Pronounceable
2008-04-14, 12:47 AM
Traditional mythological critters associated with might I expect. Hydras, giants, dragons...

Chronos
2008-04-14, 12:51 AM
We know there are purple wurms, and there's presumably a roc, too (depending on just how bad the "roc incident" really was).

Personally, I strongly suspect that there will also be the Tarrasque, since Big T is kind of the embodiment of physical might in D&D.

Trazoi
2008-04-14, 02:14 AM
As well as all the traditional powerful monsters, I wouldn't put it past Serini to put in a few special tricks of her own. After all, she is a rogue...

Yendor
2008-04-14, 02:56 AM
The Monster in the Darkness was one of the guardians, and he was enchanted to forget all evidence that the gates existed. Even when they're right in front of him.

Illiander
2008-04-14, 09:15 AM
I wasn't thinking one Blink Dog Rogue, I was thinking packs of them. And this lot sound pretty nasty to me, untouchable (except for things like death armour), and pretty much infinite sneak attacks per round to any range.

And if it wasn't for the fact that an order of paladins guarding one of the gates has already been done, I'd of suggested an order of Paladin Rogues (can you sneak attack on a smite evil?) guarding the *entrance* to the gate's dungeon, leaving the dungeon itself to be filled with whatever big nasties would honour Kraagor.

"She decided that she would build a tomb for Kraagor, and fill it with the nastiest monsters in the world, to reflect his belief in the power of physical might."

Nothing there about not putting some extra guards on the tomb entrance. Mabey it was even an afterthought: ie they came along and she asked them to keep an eye on things for her.

I'd expect every "big nasty" to be in it's perfect location, probably with some extra tricks to give it the advantage. Corridors exacty the diameter of Purple Worms, etc.

Would it be "physical might" to get through the lazer grid in Resident Evil, or sneakyness? because I can certainly see Serini putting a few "certain death" traps in, just for good measure, especially if they're the sort of thing Kraagor would of appreciated.

Laurentio
2008-04-14, 09:49 AM
Blink dog are untouchable only as long as they always wins their initiative, or Redcloak doesn't engulf Xylon in a Chlorine Elemental while he escapes.

Anyway, it's already the time to start the most wild and clueless race to the Premium Epileptic Tree? You know that no one is going to find out, and this thread will just became the house of "This monster I just created is more powerful that yours, so sux to be you!" munchkins?

Sigh. It will make "Congo" a good film, in comparison.

Laurentio

†Seer†
2008-04-14, 10:54 AM
What's REALLY guarding the gate...

Rabid squirrels. I've cracked the code in the diary. Guarding the gate is a dire sloth.

lord_khaine
2008-04-14, 11:38 AM
first people could just ready an action for when they appear, unless they put down a dimensional lock to prevent all teleportation in the area.

besides, blink dog rogues wont be able to touch Xykon, since he is immune to sneak attack, and have to much damage reduction for the dogs to chew though.

Fitzclowningham
2008-04-14, 12:14 PM
Yendor, that makes a lot of sense, and totally goes along with the MitD-is-really-powerful theme. I like it.

Eric
2008-04-15, 09:32 AM
first people could just ready an action for when they appear, unless they put down a dimensional lock to prevent all teleportation in the area.

besides, blink dog rogues wont be able to touch Xykon, since he is immune to sneak attack, and have to much damage reduction for the dogs to chew though.

Duh. They're DOGS.

Xykon: "Oi! Come back with My femur!"
Xykon:"And my other femur!"
Xykon: <Bonk>

Think of OOTS meets Holy Grail's Black Knight.

Illiander
2008-04-15, 10:41 AM
Duh. They're DOGS.

Xykon: "Oi! Come back with My femur!"
Xykon:"And my other femur!"
Xykon: <Bonk>

Think of OOTS meets Holy Grail's Black Knight.

You said that so much better than I could :D

Thalraxal
2008-04-15, 11:04 AM
Actually, Serini forgot to leave food out for the monsters, so they all ate each other.