PDA

View Full Version : The loneley d12

lothofkalroth
2008-04-13, 06:36 PM
I was wondering, other than a barbarians hit die, what DO we use the d12 for in DnD? I know this was an OOTS joke, but i'm actually curious as to how many things in the game use d12s.

Any examples?

FlyMolo
2008-04-13, 06:38 PM
Greataxes?

Mind thrust power? (nevermind, that's d10.)

Signmaker
2008-04-13, 06:38 PM
Dragon HD?

Ascension
2008-04-13, 06:39 PM
Well, there's the greataxe (IIRC one of the behind-the-scenes sidebars in the Rules Compendium says they made it 1d12 instead of 2d6 for the express written purpose of giving the d12 another use.)... and a few other classes have d12 hit dice... and that's about it.

My current DM has a homebrew system that uses the d12 exclusively, which he designed specifically to give it a workout.

Nebo_
I actually use mine to throw at players. One of them made an awful pun about salamander flamebrothers packing heat, so I pelted him with d12s.

kamikasei
Warblade HD...

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-13, 06:40 PM
Warblade and dragon hit die and Great Ax damage. I think there's a spell out there that uses them.
Oh, and there are a couple Monk PrC's that improve your damage dice directly(D6 becomes D8, D8 becomes D10, D10 becomes D12), so I guess that would work.

lothofkalroth
2008-04-13, 06:43 PM
I actually use mine to throw at players. One of them made an awful pun about salamander flamebrothers packing heat, so I pelted him with d12s.

d12s? you have more than one? lol :smallsmile:

Mando Knight
2008-04-13, 06:45 PM
Well, it isn't D&D, but if you want to give your d12s a workout, you could play Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_Bunnies)... the only dice you use are d12s...

Nebo_
2008-04-13, 06:47 PM

I have a couple of dice sets, and the other players were happy to provide ammunition.

RTGoodman
2008-04-13, 07:03 PM

Hey, I've got like 15 of 'em. Not that I meant to, though - a hobby story was going out of business and was selling off dice for like 5 or 10 cents each, so I just gave them a dollar and took what was left. Upon examining the dice at home, though, it turned out that there were a couple d20s, 2d4, and then about 10 translucent d12s in bright yellow, red, and blue.

As others have said, Barbarian and Warblade hit dice, greataxe damage (and I think another weapon or two), and Dragon and Undead hit dice. Also, you can use them for miniatures if you need to, with up to 12 different enemies marked by each color!

Collin152
2008-04-13, 07:04 PM
Lonely?
My d12 is in a steady longterm relationship with my d20.
I'm not sure whether the d20 is a guy or girl, but I don't judge.

BardicDuelist
2008-04-13, 07:06 PM

That sounds like a good idea, although the fact that I use copper dice may be an issue...

sonofzeal
2008-04-13, 07:08 PM
Everyone always forgets Knights, the OTHER other d12 hd base class.

But yeah, I do have a fondness for the die and will likely make a dragon (halfdragon?) Barbarian with a Greataxe at some point, just to give my d12 its due. After all it's a true Platonic Solid, unlike the bastard d10 (which, if I remember correctly, actually has 20 sides in its non-smoothed form).

AmberVael
2008-04-13, 07:09 PM
Okay, here is the list so far (with a few of my own additions):

Hit Dice:
Barbarian
Dragon Disciple
Dragons
Dwarven Defender
Half-Dragon Paragon
Knights
Undead
Warblade

Other:
Body Adjustment (Psionic Power)
Greataxe (Damage die)

Anything else?

lothofkalroth
2008-04-13, 07:11 PM
That sounds like a good idea, although the fact that I use copper dice may be an issue...

wow, that's cool, where does one purchase copper dice? my local game store doesn't have them.

Bogardan_Mage
2008-04-13, 07:12 PM
Okay, here is the list so far (with a few of my own additions):

Hit Dice:
Knights
Barbarian
Warblade
Dragons
Undead
Dwarven Defender
Dragon Disciple

Other:
Greataxe (Damage die)
Body Adjustment (Psionic Power)

Anything else?
Does the Half-Dragon paragon class count for hit dice?

AmberVael
2008-04-13, 07:13 PM
I s'pose it would. *goes to edit it in*

Collin152
2008-04-13, 07:14 PM
I once had a DM who bled d12s.

Oh yes, I know how people bleed. Hard to miss.

lothofkalroth
2008-04-13, 07:23 PM
Aha! something so obscure i didn't even know it existed until i looked it up! ABOLETH SLIME!

Slime (Ex)

A blow from an aboleth’s tentacle can cause a terrible affliction. A creature hit by a tentacle must succeed on a DC 19 Fortitude save or begin to transform over the next 1d4+1 minutes, the skin gradually becoming a clear, slimy membrane. An afflicted creature must remain moistened with cool, fresh water or take 1d12 points of damage every 10 minutes. The slime reduces the creature’s natural armor bonus by 1 (but never to less than 0). The save DC is Constitution-based.

A remove disease spell cast before the transformation is complete will restore an afflicted creature to normal. Afterward, however, only a heal or mass heal spell can reverse the affliction.

AmberVael
2008-04-13, 07:24 PM
Updated!

Hit Dice:
Barbarian (PHB)
Corrupt Avenger (HoH)
Dragon Disciple (DMG)
Dragons (MM)
Dwarven Defender (DMG)
Half-Dragon Paragon (UA)
Knights (PHB II)
Undead (MM)
Warblade (ToB)

Spells and Powers:
Belker Claws (SC)
Body Adjustment (XPH)
Bolt of Glory (SC)
Clutch of Orcus (SC)
Corona of Cold (SC)
Crawling Darkness (SC)
Dinosaur Stampede (SC)
Harm, Greater (HoH)
Healing Sting (SC)
Ice Axe (SC)
Life Bolt (SC)
Rainbow Beam (SC)
Rainbow Blast (SC)
Reciprocal Gyre (SC)

Other:
Aboleth Slime (Damage, MM)
Great Falchion (Damage die, SS)
Greataxe (Damage die, PHB)

lothofkalroth
2008-04-13, 07:26 PM
also Allip, Bodak, and Devourer hit die

lothofkalroth
2008-04-13, 07:27 PM
Updated!

Hit Dice:
Barbarian (PHB)
Corrupt Avenger (HoH)
Dragon Disciple (DMG)
Dragons (MM)
Dwarven Defender (DMG)
Half-Dragon Paragon (UA)
Knights (PHB II)
Undead (MM)
Warblade (ToB)

Spells and Powers:
Belker Claws (SC)
Body Adjustment (XPH)
Bolt of Glory (SC)
Clutch of Orcus (SC)
Corona of Cold (SC)
Crawling Darkness (SC)
Dinosaur Stampede (SC)
Harm, Greater (HoH)
Healing Sting (SC)
Ice Axe (SC)
Life Bolt (SC)
Rainbow Beam (SC)
Rainbow Blast (SC)
Reciprocal Gyre (SC)

Other:

Dah-yum! how'd you get all that so fast?

lothofkalroth
2008-04-13, 07:29 PM
i think belker claws do 3d4 not a d12... not sure though

martyboy74
2008-04-13, 07:31 PM
Great Falchion, from Sandstorm, IIRC.

AmberVael
2008-04-13, 07:32 PM
I did a search through my PDF. ^-~
The Belker Claws spell deals damage in d12s, I looked it up.

lothofkalroth
2008-04-13, 07:41 PM
I did a search through my PDF. ^-~
The Belker Claws spell deals damage in d12s, I looked it up.

oooo, the spell! i thought you meant the actual creatures ability, smoke claws. my bad

Chronos
2008-04-13, 07:44 PM
After all it's a true Platonic Solid, unlike the bastard d10 (which, if I remember correctly, actually has 20 sides in its non-smoothed form).Non-smoothed form? Explain, please. Would that just be a straight dodecagonal dipyramid?

also Allip, Bodak, and Devourer hit dieAlready covered. Those beasties have d12 HD because they're undead, and all undead have a d12 for HD.

It's also useful (along with the even less used, but oh-so-nerdy, d30) for generating random dates.

lothofkalroth
2008-04-13, 07:45 PM
So far we have...

Hit Dice:
Barbarian (PHB)
Corrupt Avenger (HoH)
Dragon Disciple (DMG)
Dragons (MM)
Dwarven Defender (DMG)
Half-Dragon Paragon (UA)
Knights (PHB II)
Undead (MM)
Warblade (ToB)

Spells and Powers:
Belker Claws (SC)
Body Adjustment (XPH)
Bolt of Glory (SC)
Clutch of Orcus (SC)
Corona of Cold (SC)
Crawling Darkness (SC)
Dinosaur Stampede (SC)
Harm, Greater (HoH)
Healing Sting (SC)
Ice Axe (SC)
Life Bolt (SC)
Rainbow Beam (SC)
Rainbow Blast (SC)
Reciprocal Gyre (SC)

Other:
Great Falchion (Damage die, sandstorm IIRC)

lothofkalroth
2008-04-13, 07:47 PM
Already covered. Those beasties have d12 HD because they're undead, and all undead have a d12 for HD.

oh snap, you're right! oopsie!

Wreckingrocc
2008-04-13, 07:55 PM
You should add projectiles and minis to the 'Other' section.

Zocelot
2008-04-13, 08:06 PM
The Warhammer is a one handed weapon from CW that does 1d12 damage

CockroachTeaParty
2008-04-13, 08:23 PM
I think Zocelot meant the Warmace, and it does indeed deal 1d12 damage.

Do you want to count racial substitution levels? The warforged and dwarf fighter have d12's for HD. There may be others.

RTGoodman
2008-04-13, 08:42 PM
Do you want to count racial substitution levels? The warforged and dwarf fighter have d12's for HD. There may be others.

I believe the Half-Orc Paladin racial substitution levels also give a d12 hit die.

lothofkalroth
2008-04-13, 08:43 PM
what exactly is racial substitution?

AmberVael
2008-04-13, 08:54 PM
Give me sources and I'll add in the racial substitution levels under HD with an added side note, or perhaps as a sub category.

Added in classes and feats from complete warrior.

Hit Dice:
Barbarian (PHB)
Bear Warrior (CW)
Corrupt Avenger (HoH)
Dragon Disciple (DMG)
Dragons (MM)
Dwarven Defender (DMG)
Eye of Gruumsh (CW)
Frenzied Berserker (CW)
Half-Dragon Paragon (UA)
Knights (PHB II)
Undead (MM)
Warblade (ToB)

Spells and Powers:
Belker Claws (SC)
Body Adjustment (XPH)
Bolt of Glory (SC)
Clutch of Orcus (SC)
Corona of Cold (SC)
Crawling Darkness (SC)
Dinosaur Stampede (SC)
Harm, Greater (HoH)
Healing Sting (SC)
Ice Axe (SC)
Life Bolt (SC)
Rainbow Beam (SC)
Rainbow Blast (SC)
Reciprocal Gyre (SC)

Other:
Earth's Embrace (Extra Damage Feat, CW)
Flying Kick (Extra Damage Feat, CW)
Great Falchion (Damage die, SS)
Warmace (Damage die, CW)

skywalker
2008-04-13, 08:55 PM
Racial substitution levels are levels you can take instead of the normal class levels, if you're of that race. They give alternative(sometimes better, sometimes just more interesting) class features.

Funny story, a search for "Uses for d12 dice" on google turns up this thread as the second result. Not much luck using google to find other uses.

RTGoodman
2008-04-13, 09:01 PM
what exactly is racial substitution?

As skywalker says, it's basically a variant for certain levels if you're a specific race and a specific level in a certain class. For instance, the Half-Orc Druid racial substitution level changes your Wild Empathy ability from being Diplomacy-like to being Intimidate-like. The Changeling Rogue RSL for 1st level gives you the ability to take 10 on some social skills and gives you (10+Int)x4 skill points at first level, but you give up your trapfinding ability. They're really neat and they add some variety to the game.

@Vael: The Warforged Fighter racial substitution levels are from Races of Eberron. The Dwarf Fighter is from Races of Stone. The Half-Orc Paladin is from Races of Destiny.

EDIT: Also, the War Hulk PrC from Miniatures Handbook (or here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20030914a)) has a d12 hit die.

lothofkalroth
2008-04-13, 09:05 PM
hm, that's really cool, what book are they in?

Drider
2008-04-13, 09:10 PM

they're in differant books for differant combinations

AmberVael
2008-04-13, 09:11 PM
-Added in War Hulk and everything I could find from Frostburn.
-Gave weapons their own section.
-Added Racial Substitution.
-Put it in a spoiler.
-Began speaking and acting as if this were some sort of official guide with versions. :smalltongue:

Hit Dice:
Barbarian (PHB)
Bear Warrior (CW)
Corrupt Avenger (HH)
Dragon Disciple (DMG)
Dragons (MM)
Dwarven Defender (DMG)
Eye of Gruumsh (CW)
Frenzied Berserker (CW)
Frostrager (Fr)
Half-Dragon Paragon (UA)
Knights (PHB II)
Undead (MM)
War Hulk (MH)
Warblade (ToB)

Racial Substitution Levels HD:
Dwarf Fighter (RS)
Half-Orc Paladin (RD)
Warforged Fighter (RE)

Spells and Powers:
Belker Claws (SpC)
Body Adjustment (XPH)
Bolt of Glory (SpC)
Clutch of Orcus (SpC)
Corona of Cold (SpC)
Crawling Darkness (SpC)
Dinosaur Stampede (SpC)
Fimbulwinter (Fr)
Frostburn (Fr)
Frostburn, Lesser (Fr)
Harm, Greater (HH)
Healing Sting (SpC)
Ice Axe (SpC)
Life Bolt (SpC)
Rainbow Beam (SpC)
Rainbow Blast (SpC)
Reciprocal Gyre (SpC)

Manufactured Weapons Damage:
Great Falchion (Sa)
Greataxe (PHB)
Icechucker (Fr)
Warmace (CW)

Other:
Glacial Ray (Psi-like ability Cryokineticist PrC, Fr)

Nebo_
2008-04-13, 09:13 PM
Ok, now make one for the d6.

sonofzeal
2008-04-13, 09:13 PM
Non-smoothed form? Explain, please. Would that just be a straight dodecagonal dipyramid?
No, because all 1d10's I've seen have the corresponding sides offset from eachother. Compare this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/63/Hexagonal_bipyramid.png/50px-Hexagonal_bipyramid.png) to these (http://www.rpgshop.com/images/Dice/CHX_d10mix.jpg). Somewhat different.

And... I wish I could find a picture, but I have a set of dice that are geometrically "perfect", rather than rounded at the corners and edges. All corners and edges meet at precise angles, and if it was metal you could probably give some of them a decent cutting edge with a whetstone (the d4 has the corners clipped for safety reasons). Anyway, that d10 uses a second very tiny face as the "base" of each numbered side. The end result is that, rather than the four-sided faces we see on most d10's, it's actually five-sided diamond shaped faces connected between the two halves by ten tiny triangles in a ring.

On the other hand.... a search through Wikipedia reveals that my crystaline dice are just whack, and it can be done in 10 sides without rounding. That figure's called a Pentagonal Trapezohedron. Joy. Still not a Platonic Solid though, because it isn't composed of convex regular polygons, and it's still the only die in the entire traditional set to lack that distinction.

RTGoodman
2008-04-13, 09:16 PM

I believe most of them, if not all of them, are in the "Races" series (Races of Stone, Races of Destiny, etc.).

If anyone has it, I'd be willing to be that Races of the Dragon has racial substitution levels with a d12 HD for the Dragonborn race. Seems like they would, anyway.

Also, I'm pretty certain Draconomicon has some Dragon-only PrCs that probably use a d12 HD.

Finally, Arms & Equipment Guide probably has more weapons with d12 damage, and though it's 3.0 they should probably still count.

EDIT:

And... I wish I could find a picture, but I have a set of dice that are geometrically "perfect", rather than rounded at the corners and edges.

Try the Chessex company's website - believe somewhere on there in the past I've seen "precision edge" dice or something like that.

RandomLunatic
2008-04-13, 09:23 PM
Goliath Greathammer (damage die)

Sstoopidtallkid
I love the D12. Hate d10's though, and rolling them as percentiles is even worse. D100 is the way to go for that. (when one of my GMs told me our group was trying WoD, I almost cried) D10's are barely symmetrical, and the 0/10 thing is just annoying. Having the sides offset is the really sad part, though. I could just find a system that doesn't need 10-siders.:smallannoyed:

JupiterJazz
And... I wish I could find a picture, but I have a set of dice that are geometrically "perfect", rather than rounded at the corners and edges. All corners and edges meet at precise angles, and if it was metal you could probably give some of them a decent cutting edge with a whetstone

Fantastic idea. The ultimate nerd weapon.

sonofzeal
2008-04-13, 09:26 PM
Try the Chessex company's website - believe somewhere on there in the past I've seen "precision edge" dice or something like that.
Ahah, thanks! This (http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=CHX23085) is the dice I have, and here (http://g2ch.com/Graphics/Dice/gms/pr_d10_hotorange_g2.jpg) is a very clear picture of a d10 that has 20 sides.

skywalker
2008-04-13, 09:33 PM
I love the D12. Hate d10's though, and rolling them as percentiles is even worse. D100 is the way to go for that. (when one of my GMs told me our group was trying WoD, I almost cried) D10's are barely symmetrical, and the 0/10 thing is just annoying. Having the sides offset is the really sad part, though. I could just find a system that doesn't need 10-siders.:smallannoyed:

I had a 10 minute argument about 0 vs. 100 with a DM once. He actually agreed to let me roll it the way it made sense to me, as long as I always rolled it that way. I was pleased.

EDIT: Planar handbook also has some substituion levels.

AmberVael
2008-04-13, 09:35 PM
You can take that guide, Nebo. No, please, I insist. :smalltongue:

Looked through Races of the Dragon...
Surprisingly, there weren't any d12 racial substitution levels. Odd.
There was, however, a single spell that could possibly grant a d12 damage.
Went through Races of Stone and Destiny and added all of it in.
Edit: Went through Races of the Wild: Nothing there at all.

Hit Dice:
Barbarian (PHB)
Bear Warrior (CW)
Corrupt Avenger (HH)
Deepwarden (RS)
Dragon Disciple (DMG)
Dragons (MM)
Dwarven Defender (DMG)
Eye of Gruumsh (CW)
Frenzied Berserker (CW)
Frostrager (Fr)
Half-Dragon Paragon (UA)
Knights (PHB II)
Undead (MM)
War Hulk (MH)
Warblade (ToB)

Dwarf Fighter (RS)
Gnome Barbarian (RS)
Half-Orc Barbarian (RD)
Half-Orc Paladin (RD)
Warforged Fighter (RE)

Spells and Powers:
Belker Claws (SpC)
Body Adjustment (XPH)
Bolt of Glory (SpC)
Clutch of Orcus (SpC)
Corona of Cold (SpC)
Crawling Darkness (SpC)
Dinosaur Stampede (SpC)
Fimbulwinter (Fr)
Frostburn (Fr)
Frostburn, Lesser (Fr)
Greater Wallop (RDr)
Harm, Greater (HH)
Healing Sting (SpC)
Ice Axe (SpC)
Life Bolt (SpC)
Rainbow Beam (SpC)
Rainbow Blast (SpC)
Reciprocal Gyre (SpC)

Great Falchion (Sa)
Greataxe (PHB)
Greathammer, Goliath (RS)
Icechucker (Fr)
Warmace (CW)

Other:

FlyMolo
2008-04-13, 09:37 PM
Icechucker? I don't even know what that is, but I desperately want to buy one for my Arena character now.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-13, 09:37 PM
0-ot is understood in all my groups to equal 100. This is difficult because that means a 0 rolled with a nine is far, far worse than a 0 rolled with a 0. :smalleek:

Combo that with the odd shape, and I just want to get rid of that die.

AmberVael
2008-04-13, 09:41 PM
Icechucker? I don't even know what that is, but I desperately want to buy one for my Arena character now.
It's basically a giant crossbow. If you don't have icicles to load in it, you can use javelins instead. :smalltongue:

Nebo_
2008-04-13, 09:43 PM
You can take that guide, Nebo. No, please, I insist. :smalltongue:

Oh, but you did such a good job with the d12. I couldn't possibly steal your thunder. :smalltongue:

AmberVael
2008-04-13, 09:58 PM
Oh, but you did such a good job with the d12. I couldn't possibly steal your thunder. :smalltongue:

Oh no, it's quite alright- it's too much of an honor for one person alone to have it. :smallwink:

Added in Planar Handbook. Thassit for me for today.

(For my references, books completed:
Complete Warrior, Frostburn, Heroes of Horror, Planar Handbook, Races of Destiny, Races of the Dragon, Races of Stone, Races of the Wild, Spell Compendium)

Hit Dice:
Barbarian (PHB)
Bear Warrior (CW)
Corrupt Avenger (HH)
Deepwarden (RS)
Doomlord (PlH)
Dragon Disciple (DMG)
Dragons (MM)
Dwarven Defender (DMG)
Eye of Gruumsh (CW)
Frenzied Berserker (CW)
Frostrager (Fr)
Half-Dragon Paragon (UA)
Knights (PHB II)
Undead (MM)
War Hulk (MH)
Warblade (ToB)

Dwarf Fighter (RS)
Gnome Barbarian (RS)
Half-Orc Barbarian (RD)
Half-Orc Paladin (RD)
Planar Barbarian (PlH)
Warforged Fighter (RE)

Spells and Powers:
Belker Claws (SpC)
Body Adjustment (XPH)
Bolt of Glory (SpC)
Clutch of Orcus (SpC)
Corona of Cold (SpC)
Crawling Darkness (SpC)
Dinosaur Stampede (SpC)
Fimbulwinter (Fr)
Frostburn (Fr)
Frostburn, Lesser (Fr)
Greater Wallop (RDr)
Harm, Greater (HH)
Healing Sting (SpC)
Ice Axe (SpC)
Life Bolt (SpC)
Rainbow Beam (SpC)
Rainbow Blast (SpC)
Reciprocal Gyre (SpC)

Great Falchion (Sa)
Greataxe (PHB)
Greathammer, Goliath (RS)
Icechucker (Fr)
Warmace (CW)

Other:

Irreverent Fool
2008-04-13, 10:12 PM
0-ot is understood in all my groups to equal 100. This is difficult because that means a 0 rolled with a nine is far, far worse than a 0 rolled with a 0. :smalleek:

Combo that with the odd shape, and I just want to get rid of that die.

The only time I can possibly see this as a problem is when you aren't using dice that allow a clear and immediate distinction between which is the 10's place and which is the 1's place. The standard dice set includes the 10's d10 specifically for this reason.

As far as using them for a d100, it's really the only sensible thing to do unless you have some ridiculous apparatus for getting a truly random roll out of one of those golfball-like monstrosities that dwarfs even the d20.

As for the shape, it's terrible. I love percentiles and the d10 in general, but the odd shape is just... well, odd. Back in the olden days we didn't have them, you know. We had our d20 numbered 0-9 twice. There was a red side and a blue side (which we colored with a crayon).

When used for a d20 roll, the red side represented 1-10 (with 0 representing 10) and the blue side represented 11-20 (with 0 representing 20).

When used for a d10, you simply took it as it the same way you take d10s now.

When used for a d100, you used it in the same way you use 2d10 now. You rolled it once for the 10's place and ones for the 1's place. A roll of 0 for the 10's place was always a cause for much begging the mercy of the die because it could either mean you were going to be stuck with a 1-9, or 100. Just like now. The advantage of course is that that the d20 is more trustworthy.

RTGoodman
2008-04-13, 10:21 PM
A couple more that I just found:

Legendary Dreadnought (ELH, SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClasses/legendaryDreadnought.htm))
Tainted Warrior (UA, SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/taint.htm#taintedWarrior))
Dragon Defender PrC (Mind's Eye article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040327a))
Orc Warlord (RoF, excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030301a))

skywalker
2008-04-13, 10:36 PM
When used for a d100, you used it in the same way you use 2d10 now. You rolled it once for the 10's place and ones for the 1's place. A roll of 0 for the 10's place was always a cause for much begging the mercy of the die because it could either mean you were going to be stuck with a 1-9, or 100. Just like now. The advantage of course is that that the d20 is more trustworthy.

See, now there you go. The way I find most intuitive is, 00 for the tens and 0 for the ones =10. 90 for the tens and 0 for the ones = 100. That means that 0 on the ones die always equals 10. This makes sense to me. My DM(and seemingly everyone else, like you guys) thinks that 00+0=100. This just never made sense to me.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-13, 10:42 PM
Force dragon breathe weapon!

drengnikrafe
2008-04-13, 10:43 PM
This one's a bit of a stretch (okay, a huge stretch), but there was a system that combined together a couple parts of AD&D and OD&D... hack-something-or-other? I don't remember...
Anyway, they had fireball spells for every level, and there were two 9th level ones.
Fireball: Nuclear Winter (Which was removed from the game) and
Fireball: Lava Yeild. It delt CLd12 damage... and made lava. It was wicked awesome.

tyckspoon
2008-04-13, 10:47 PM
Hackmaster, home of the Sidewinder and Skipping Betty fireballs. Originated as the parody of O/AD&D played in the Knights of the Dinner Table comic, later printed as a real game with a ruleset that is somewhere between affectionate parody of older D&D and just completely retro. Notable for, among other things, having an absurdly long Monster Manual series (The Hacklopedia.)

drengnikrafe
2008-04-13, 10:50 PM
Hackmaster, home of the Sidewinder and Skipping Betty fireballs. Originated as the parody of O/AD&D played in the Knights of the Dinner Table comic, later printed as a real game with a ruleset that is somewhere between affectionate parody of older D&D and just completely retro. Notable for, among other things, having an absurdly long Monster Manual series (The Hacklopedia.)

Yeah, that's the one.
Good remembering skills. (Remembers Skipping Betty Fireballs) Those were the days, eh?

Chronos
2008-04-13, 11:05 PM
And... I wish I could find a picture, but I have a set of dice that are geometrically "perfect", rather than rounded at the corners and edges. All corners and edges meet at precise angles, and if it was metal you could probably give some of them a decent cutting edge with a whetstone (the d4 has the corners clipped for safety reasons). Anyway, that d10 uses a second very tiny face as the "base" of each numbered side. The end result is that, rather than the four-sided faces we see on most d10's, it's actually five-sided diamond shaped faces connected between the two halves by ten tiny triangles in a ring.Ah, gotcha. Those little triangles aren't geometrically necessary, but I'll bet they make it a lot easier to get the die out of the molds.

But I'll certainly agree that the low symmetry of the d10 makes it rather unappealing. If they had to add another shape to the five Platonics, why couldn't it have been a nice symmetrical d30 or d60? Or at least a d24 or d48?

Ascension
2008-04-14, 12:10 AM
Ehh, at least the d10 isn't as hard to roll as the terribly awkward d4. I admit a d24 would be a bit more fun, though, especially for randomly determining what hour of the day various events occur.

I have a set of nine d10s numbered from 0.001 all the way up to 1,000,000. They were an impulse buy, and I really have no practical use for them, but man they're fun to roll.

I have fantasies of finding a practical use for them someday. Maybe population statistics...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-14, 12:38 AM
There's a random spell effect table in one of my current games that involves 4 d10s. If 10,000 ever comes up the world ends. Unless a Nomad is present. One of their class features is that they can create a luck amulet that reduces any roll by one, at a cost of ~all the exp you earn in one session. It's used for situations like this.

Also, I prefer the even the d4 to the d10, though not by much. It's not used often enough for me to hate it.

kamikasei
2008-04-14, 07:37 AM
See, now there you go. The way I find most intuitive is, 00 for the tens and 0 for the ones =10. 90 for the tens and 0 for the ones = 100. That means that 0 on the ones die always equals 10. This makes sense to me. My DM(and seemingly everyone else, like you guys) thinks that 00+0=100. This just never made sense to me.

That sounds very strange to me. Look at it like this. You have the tens, and the ones. If you want a zero in the 'ones' to always count as a ten then you have to have (10)(0) = 20, (20)(0) = 30, etc. That's weird. Rather, you roll and get a range of values from (00)(0) up to (90)(9). But since you can't actually get a result of zero, you just consider the 100 to have dropped off the end and become a 00. Thus only the zero->100 is a special case, and all other values can be read directly off the dice.

Chronos
2008-04-14, 02:18 PM
If you wanted to do it skywalker's way, you'd renumber the ones-place d10 to 1-10, instead of 0-9. Then you just add the dice together: A 10 (on the 00,10,20,30...90 die) plus a 10 (on the 1,2,3...10 die) is a 20.

Of course, the really simple way to do it would be to switch everything to zero-offset, instead of unit offset, so a d6 would be {0,1,2,3,4,5}, a d10 would be {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}, and a d100 would be {0,1,2,...,98,99}. But for some reason nobody likes doing it that way, despite its greater simplicity.

Pirate_King
2008-04-14, 11:00 PM
Kamikasei makes the most sense, mostly because all the percentile tables are 1-100, rather than 0-99. The real issue, though, is the fact that I've got 24 d10's and 12 d%, and one so rarely rolls on any percentile table when one is not DM'ing. At least d12's make interesting improvised miniature scenery, but I've only got 9 of those. I guess you could spin a bunch of d10's and guess which one will spin the longest.

CabbageTheif
2008-04-15, 08:40 AM
heres one for you that i just found, making a monk/ warshaper

feat: Earths Embrace
requirements: str 15, improved grapple, improved unarmed strike
wen pinning, you deal an EXTRA 1d12 every round you maintain the pin.

Tokiko Mima
2008-04-15, 10:50 AM
When you think about it, a d20 is just a d12 with it's faces turned into points (and vice versa.) So every d20 has an inner d12 just waiting to burst forth. :smallwink:

Brauron
2008-04-15, 12:15 PM
Ehh, at least the d10 isn't as hard to roll as the terribly awkward d4.

That's why I have a D12 numbered 1-4 three times. Rolls like a dream.

Chronos
2008-04-15, 12:20 PM
And the d30 is just a d12 or d20 with its edges turned into faces. There's all sorts of symmetries like that between the dice.

If you do the same thing (swapping vertices and faces), the d6 turns into a d8, and vice-versa. And the d4 turns into another d4.

If you take the faces of a d12 and pair them up into adjacent pairs, and then flatten each pair out into one face, you get a d6. If you turn the faces of a d6 into edges, you get a d4. If you turn the edges of a d6 or a d8 into faces, you get a different kind of d12 (the rhombic dodecahedron, my favorite 3-dimensional shape).