PDA

View Full Version : D&D computer simulator?

Gamerlord
2008-04-13, 08:03 PM
i've heard rumors about a D&D combat simulator for computers ...is it true?
sorry if this belongs in a diffrent place

bugsysservant
2008-04-13, 08:22 PM
Are you talking about fourth edition? Because, yes, that is supposed to be supported by software and a subscription service. To my knowledge, tis still pretty nebulous though.

Or do you mean a program that utilizes D&D mechanics? Because there are, and have been, a lot of those. Baldur's gate II springs readily to mind, though that was more 2ed with a healthy dose of 3rd. Or you could go as old as roguelikes. Nethack is fun, and free.

Maerok
2008-04-13, 08:31 PM
Neverwinter Nights 2. If it runs anything like NWN1, you can actually build MMORPGs to more or less of an extent with the level editor and then hosting it on a server.

Fostire
2008-04-13, 08:31 PM
There are the Neverwinter Nights games. The first one uses 3.0 mechanics and the second one uses 3.5

EDIT: ninja'd

Bosaxon
2008-04-13, 09:00 PM
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil is an accurate account of 3.5 rules to the point where it's almost frustrating you can't quite make it to attack range in a single move action.

Gamerlord
2008-04-13, 09:23 PM
Neverwinter Nights 2. If it runs anything like NWN1, you can actually build MMORPGs to more or less of an extent with the level editor and then hosting it on a server.
i don't have a good enough graphics card for that :(

Gamerlord
2008-04-13, 09:24 PM
and i meant a free simulator,or at least a combat simulator,not a altogether simulator

sonofzeal
2008-04-13, 09:33 PM
I made something along those lines myself. I was just graduating highschool at the time so it's pretty simple (the two creatures just stand next to eachother and attack until the other falls), but ran quickly enough that you could set it to do the fight, say, ten thousand times, and give a very accurate idea of which was better.

For the record, a commoner with a reasonable simple weapon beats a housecat fairly reliably.... and Polar Bears slaughter everything in melee at their CR level.

Mad Wizard
2008-04-13, 10:01 PM
I'm not quite clear on what you're looking for, but Maptool is a useful tool for running games over the web. It gives you a map on that you can change and a die-rolling tool.

Keld Denar
2008-04-13, 10:49 PM
There are a few programs such as openRPG that support online gridbased combat. A lot of people who play Living Greyhawk online use these programs for core modules and such. This might work toward what you want, as long as you get some friends to play online with you.

elliott20
2008-04-14, 09:09 AM
how much work does it take to get openRPG to run smoothly though? I've downloaded the program but due to the many responsibilities I have (mostly to do with my pregnant wife, work, and various other errands that keep popping up), I haven't had time to configure it or play with it yet.

DrizztFan24
2008-04-14, 04:54 PM
I'm not quite clear on what you're looking for, but Maptool is a useful tool for running games over the web. It gives you a map on that you can change and a die-rolling tool.

and waht goes with MapTool? TheOnlySheet!

I realize you said free but they do have Dungeons and Dragons Online, it was done by Turbine I believe. It's not too bad, most reviews put it better than WoW and Guildwars....but its not free.

If you do decide to check out DDO, ropeplaying for rogue is pretty much out the window...everyone knows where to search and where traps are so you dont need any stealth.

Flickerdart
2008-04-14, 04:58 PM
D&DO was an awful game, and even WoW *shudders* is leagues ahead, to say nothing of the masterpiece that is Guild Wars.

Cainen
2008-04-14, 05:23 PM
how much work does it take to get openRPG to run smoothly though? I've downloaded the program but due to the many responsibilities I have (mostly to do with my pregnant wife, work, and various other errands that keep popping up), I haven't had time to configure it or play with it yet.

Depends on how fast the interface makes sense to you. I really can't teach you how to use it, and neither can anyone else - I learned how it worked perfectly via reverse-engineering an OpenRPG character sheet, which didn't take a whole lot of time. Regardless, it's system-agnostic, and character sheets are dealt with in the program.