PDA

View Full Version : Swift actions

Jimbob
2008-04-14, 04:37 AM
Morning all,

Just a quick question, what is a swift action. I know I should know this but for the life of me I can not remember it.

Is it you get 1 swift action per round and you can then act normally??

Cheers all

Admiral Squish
2008-04-14, 04:40 AM
It's like a free action, but you only get one per round. And only on your turn.

Kizara
2008-04-14, 04:41 AM
Morning all,

Just a quick question, what is a swift action. I know I should know this but for the life of me I can not remember it.

Is it you get 1 swift action per round and you can then act normally??

Cheers all

A swift action is essentially a free action except that you only get one of them per round.

You also can't take a free action in a turn you take a swift action.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-14, 04:41 AM
You get one Swift Action per round, essentially whenever you want. You also get an Immediate Action (anything a Swift Action can do, so can it) when it is not your turn, but taking that makes you give up your Swift Action next turn (essentially a loan of a Swift Action).

Edit: Ninja'd. Also, @ Kizara: Say wha?

Talic
2008-04-14, 04:42 AM
In fact, it has the exact timing of a free action, except that you only get 1.

Immediate actions are kinda like that, except you can do 1 when not your turn. (Doing this costs you your swift action for your next turn).

However, a previous poster was wrong. There is no rule prohibiting you from taking free actions in the turn you take a swift action.

Nebo_
2008-04-14, 04:44 AM
You also can't take a free action in a turn you take a swift action.

This is completely wrong - ignore it.

Kizara
2008-04-14, 04:48 AM
This is completely wrong - ignore it.

Really? I swear I read that when I first read about swift actions when they came out.

I guess I'll have to look it up.

Sorry for the confusion.

Nebo_
2008-04-14, 04:49 AM
Really? I swear I read that when I first read about swift actions when they came out.

I guess I'll have to look it up.

Sorry for the confusion.

You must be thinking of an immediate action.

RTGoodman
2008-04-14, 07:08 AM
Most everyone else has been pretty much right, but here's the official description of a Swift Action, from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm).

Swift Actions

A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions. In that regard, a swift action is like a free action. However, you can perform only a single swift action per turn, regardless of what other actions you take. You can take a swift action any time you would normally be allowed to take a free action. Swift actions usually involve spellcasting or the activation of magic items; many characters (especially those who don't cast spells) never have an opportunity to take a swift action.

Casting a quickened spell is a swift action. In addition, casting any spell with a casting time of 1 swift action is a swift action.

Casting a spell with a casting time of 1 swift action does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Jimbob
2008-04-15, 02:46 AM
Ahhh thanks very much all, I tried to look through the SRD but could not find it, that clears alot up thanks all again.

Person_Man
2008-04-15, 09:41 AM
Each round you get:

1 Move AND
1 Standard Action AND
1 Swift OR Immediate Action AND
Unlimited Free Actions (within discretion of the DM)

OR

1 Full Round Action AND
1 Swift OR Immediate Action AND
Unlimited Free Actions (within discretion of the DM)

An Immediate Action can be taken at any time that you are not Flat Footed. It can even interrupt someone else's action. Once you use an Immediate Action, you cannot use another Immediate Action or Swift Action until after your next turn.

A Swift Action can only be used during your turn in the Initiative order, but otherwise it works just like an Immediate Action.