PDA

View Full Version : How Do I create a character like Rock Lee but non-psionics?

Starbuck_II
2008-04-14, 08:12 AM
Hey all, I'm thinking of making for this 1-shot adventure Tournament adventure (Guantlet like I heard): 34 Point buy, level 20:
Rock Lee from Naruto.

I've seen the Psionic version but she wouldn't allow Psionics
So any ideas for Rock Lee: He acts goofy and hits like a Mack Truck.
While he does spells; they can't be flashy (ninjutsu)
Only Gen-jutsu and Tai-Jutsu allowed.

My initial thought was HUman Monk 9/Wizard 5/Swift Blade 3/Drunken Master 3

Anyone have a better representation?

Tengu
2008-04-14, 08:15 AM
Swordsage (Unarmed Variant)/Drunken Master.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-14, 08:22 AM
I was about to recommend the Unarmed Swordsage as well... Setting Sun (he always counters)... and maybe Stone Dragon for the strong hits?

Starbuck_II
2008-04-14, 08:36 AM
Probably should have mentioned she hasn't allowed BoNS yet. Though, I forgot about it either way. Assuming not them; any ideas (don't have time to coinvince her before the game).

I should mention books:
Its Wet out There, Its Hot, It Cold are allowed (my nicknames for them) The environment books.
Complete 1.0: Warriort, Adventurer, Arcane, Divine
PHB 2 (though I lack it)
Spell Compendruim
Item compendruim
Core
Races of Dragon/Destiny/Draconomicon/Heroes of Horror

I think that is it.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-14, 08:41 AM
Hmm, since he's all Taijutsu (save... you know... the 8 chakra gates)...

Fighter/Monk/Drunken Master... but that's not exactly as good as he -should- be.

I've tried making Neji. I always fail.

elliott20
2008-04-14, 09:22 AM
If you're trying to make an anime martial arts character using only core, I'm sorry but you're just not going to be very effective.

ToB would be your best shot, even more so than the psionics, if you ask me.

If you can't use that, try using the quintessential books then.

Person_Man
2008-04-14, 10:26 AM
Non-ToB and non-psionic martial artist is hard to pull off effectively, especially with your book limitations. Also, Rock's style of combat (fast, hand to hand, lots of movement) doesn't fit well into 3.5 D&D. And the Swiftblade isn't in the books you listed, its an online supplement to Complete Mage.

Anywho, off the top of my head I'd suggest Freezing the Lifeblood from Complete Warrior. Burn a Stunning Fist use. Enemy must Save or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. A paralyzed enemy is helpless, setting them up for an easy Coup de Grace. So in a tournament fight, if they lose the Save, they lose.

Throw in as many other things as you can to improve your Freezing or debuff the enemy (Ability Focus, Hexblade, Blackguard, Frightful Presence, Avenging Executioner, Netherese Battle Curse, etc) and win initiative (high Dex, Improved Initiative, level of Marshal, etc).

Starbuck_II
2008-04-14, 10:34 AM
Non-ToB and non-psionic martial artist is hard to pull off effectively, especially with your book limitations. Also, Rock's style of combat (fast, hand to hand, lots of movement) doesn't fit well into 3.5 D&D. And the Swiftblade isn't in the books you listed, its an online supplement to Complete Mage.

Anywho, off the top of my head I'd suggest Freezing the Lifeblood from Complete Warrior. Burn a Stunning Fist use. Enemy must Save or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. A paralyzed enemy is helpless, setting them up for an easy Coup de Grace. So in a tournament fight, if they lose the Save, they lose.

Throw in as many other things as you can to improve your Freezing or debuff the enemy (Ability Focus, Hexblade, Blackguard, Frightful Presence, Avenging Executioner, Netherese Battle Curse, etc) and win initiative (high Dex, Improved Initiative, level of Marshal, etc).

Any online excerpt is allowed I think which is why Swift Blade is okay as long as I print it out ans show her it. Plus, Swift Blade isn't even in Complete Mage: It used PHB 2 stuff (Bounding Assault) so it is strange that it counts as Complete Mage.

What is Netherese Battle Curse/Avenging Executioner?

Pain Touch was my original idea, but Freezing the Lifeblood looks good too.
I'll look into it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-14, 10:35 AM
And to really match the flavor, despite all of this work, you'll still be less effective than a ToBer built by-the-book. :smallannoyed:

Caduceus
2008-04-14, 04:50 PM
Just throwing this out there: Rock Lee had no ninjutsu OR genjutsu. Only taijutsu. No illusions or special ability magic. Just straight martial skill.

holywhippet
2008-04-14, 05:49 PM
Just throwing this out there: Rock Lee had no ninjutsu OR genjutsu. Only taijutsu. No illusions or special ability magic. Just straight martial skill.

More or less correct. Basically he can't mould chakra so as to produce ninjutsu or genjutsu. However, he was the only one of his group who managed to learn the art of opening his chakra gates. Even Neji, the natural genius couldn't do it. Opening the chakra gates is much the same as feeding nitrous oxide into your car engine - you get one heck of a boost but the engine will begin to overheat.

In D&D terms I can't think of any feat that mimics this kind of thing. Basically you'd be giving yourself a huge number of extra attacks per round along with extra damage, doing a contant HP drain to yourself while giving yourself a large AC bonus because you are moving too fast to be targeted. Following the technique you'd have a lot of HP damage and extreme fatigue.

It's heavily unbalanced as it's basically a do or die attack. You have to hope the enemy goes down before you run out of juice.

Neji would be even hard to convert to D&D. His main strength is his ability to cancel chakra flow within his opponent. How would you handle that in D&D? The only class that uses something remotely similar is the monk with their ki ability and a class that counters only monks isn't going to be much use. His defensive spin would be hard to convert since it seemingly blocks anything and smacks the heck out of anyone nearby. His special attack appears to be an unblockable series of strikes that practically eliminates the target from the fight.

Person_Man
2008-04-14, 09:34 PM
What is Netherese Battle Curse/Avenging Executioner?

Avenging Executioner is a short PrC from Complete Scoundrel. When you Sudden Strike your enemies, they must Save vs. Fear. Fear effects impose stacking penalties.

Netherese Battle Curse is an obscure feat from Lost Empires of Faerun that basically mimics the Hexblade's Curse ability.

Basically, if you hit an enemy with Freezing the Life Blood and they fail their Save, they lose. So anything you can do to lower their Save, you want.

More or less correct. Basically he can't mould chakra so as to produce ninjutsu or genjutsu. However, he was the only one of his group who managed to learn the art of opening his chakra gates. Even Neji, the natural genius couldn't do it. Opening the chakra gates is much the same as feeding nitrous oxide into your car engine - you get one heck of a boost but the engine will begin to overheat.

In D&D terms I can't think of any feat that mimics this kind of thing.

Rage effects (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36238)?

tyckspoon
2008-04-14, 09:49 PM
hmm. A Whirling Frenzy Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker (for Deathless Frenzy, mostly) with Superior Unarmed Strike could get close. Nowhere near Rock's demonstrated talent because D&D hates martial artists, but fairly similar. If there's feat space available (might have to mix in some Fighter), take the Spring Attack/Bounding Assault tree. Or get him into Dervish, if possible (and ignore or waive the stuff about scimitars); a raging Dervish Dance with his fists would be fun.

Starbuck_II
2008-04-14, 10:42 PM
Avenging Executioner is a short PrC from Complete Scoundrel. When you Sudden Strike your enemies, they must Save vs. Fear. Fear effects impose stacking penalties.

When I checked, only if you knock a opponent to 0, than all around you 30 feet get fear save.

Basically, if you hit an enemy with Freezing the Life Blood and they fail their Save, they lose. So anything you can do to lower their Save, you want.

Drawback, unlike Stunning Fist deals no damage so if it fails I wasted a turn compared to Stunning.
Plus, Level 20... With Cloak of Resist, I'll definately need to low saves to win.

Ki Straps add +2 so they help. My Current DC is 32. I should affect non-warriors, but I have a feeling a fighter will be okay. Hmm, I'l see what debufss I can give. Ooh, Touch of Idiocy isn't flashy and can be felt like a Tai-Jutsu. Using pressure points to block magic power conduits (lowering mental stats).

And way, my basic magic that emulates Nin or Gen jutsu I'm thinking:
1) Haste: Lee is fast. So much he attacks quicker and moves likewise.
2) G. Invisibility: He moves so fast he is invisible (I'm considering it). Can fit, but unsure. Plus, unless Lee failed at school he had to do some illusion magic (Naruto is shown as only true failing person). May be a stretch.
3) Divine power (a scroll with UMD as a trump card) he uses the Gates to make Combat prowress increase.
4) Touch of Idiocy: Just Tai-Jutsu, pressure points
5) Lion's Charge scroll (rules Comprendrium says scrolls of swift spells are swift casting): Lion's Barrage!
6) See invisibility: Personal buff, all ninja have decent sense
7) False Life: personal buff, unseeable
8) Heroism: buff
9) Rage: Minor boost but can fit
10) True Strike
11) Feather Fall: Natural extention of Slow Fall
12) Bladeweave: This also fits his drunken fighting.
13) Wraithstrike:
These 13 are only examples I can feel fit him.

sonofzeal
2008-04-14, 10:43 PM
Alright, what do we know about him.....

1) Insanely fast
2) Insanely strong
3) Friggin ridiculous levels of endurance

The problem is that there is no good way to do 1 and 2 well without sacrificing on 3, by burning PP, Inspiration, or Maneuvers.

Ask your DM about Dungeonscape, specifically the Factotum class. It's not nearly as worldchanging as Psi or ToB and it fits thematically with some books you already have. Take a Factotum 8 / Monk X, and load up on Font of Inspiration out the wazoo. Then, wander around using your Monk stuff and more passive Factotum abilities.... but when you "open the gates" you can go nova using Cunning Surge and burn IP as fast as you can to pound everything to an absolute pulp, until you run out and are left at a serious disadvantage.

Person_Man
2008-04-15, 08:52 AM
When I checked, only if you knock a opponent to 0, than all around you 30 feet get fear save.

You're referring to the 5th level ability, Bloody Murder. The 1st level ability, Bloody Blade: "Whenever you deal sudden strike damage (see below) with a melee weapon, the target of the sudden strike and all opponents within 30 feet of you who can see the target are shaken for a number of rounds equal to your avenging executioner level." The Save DC is pretty low though, so its not always a great idea. But I just thought I'd put it out there.

Another similar option is Disciple of the Eye (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060106a&page=2). With Frightful Presence (feat from Draconomicon, or graft from races of the dragon) + Frightful Attack + Glare of the Enraged Dragon, you can easily force 1-3 Will Saves per turn, in addition to your normal attacks.

What you've got is pretty good though. Just keep in mind that in most tournament fights, you need to be able to win in 1-2 rounds. Your enemy is going to burn through every possible resource to kill you as quickly as possible. This puts melee builds at a big disadvange. So don't just compile a list of 20 cool things Rock should be able to do - know exactly how you want to kill your enemy.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-15, 08:57 AM
5) Lion's Charge scroll (rules Comprendrium says scrolls of swift spells are swift casting): Lion's Barrage!

It hurts my heart that you said Lion's Barrage.... that's Sasuke's move... which is modeled after the Hidden Lotus, Rock Lee's move.

I would like to figure out how to do two manuevers from Naruto in D&D: Dancing Leaf Shadow and Demon Wind Shuriken: Windmill of Shadow.

But... they both may need some home brew :)