PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of water

bbugg
2008-04-14, 09:51 AM
Ok, so I'm playing Torrad, a level 4 Dwarven Cleric of Hanseath (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a) who is terrified of water. Not in any outrageous way, but he swims like a rock and knows it, so he'd really rather not get too near the water. Boats are totally uncool. However, as the tough guy he is, he's not about to tell the rest of the party about this little phobia.

So here's the kicker. We're headed to 'the great swamp' or some such to track down the bad guys. Great swamps mean lots of water and Torrad's not so pleased with that. He can't tell the other folks his fears, but would like to protect himself from a watery death.

How would you go about protecting yourself from drowning? I'm allowed most books, but no Dungeon mags. I have 2000gp all told and I'd rather not spend it all on this, but if I have to, I have to.

Things we've thought of - spells:
Float and Air Bubble are perfect, but dragon mag only.
Levitate seems like overkill - level 2 - and arcane only. Would need to be a potion (see below).
Water Walk and Water Breathing are huge overkill - far too expensive to just keep me alive.
Is there anything else I'm missing??

Things we've thought of - delivery:
Scrolls - No good. I'm not going to pull it out and cast while paniking at the bottom of a lake. (RAW, I could no problem - I can hold my breath 18 rounds [or is that minutes?] but I don't want to.)
Spells are ok. I'd rather not have to cast (see scrolls), but I can if I have to.
Potions not too bad, but can be pricey and not ideal.
Items? I don't have creation costs here at work - would a ring of something be out of reach pricewise?

Am I missing anything obvious? Any thoughts or ideas to pass along, oh wise forum dwellers?

Citizen Joe
2008-04-14, 10:08 AM
Take about 200 gold and spread it around town in a disguise. Drop rumors of a vast treasure hoard and some goblins or something threatening the countryside in a direction AWAY from the swamps. When the rest of the group hears these rumors, tell them that as a dwarf, you can't just LET goblins run rampant over the countryside while there is gold to be had. Then convince them to put off the swamp quest until after you root out the goblin threat.

bbugg
2008-04-14, 10:15 AM
Not a bad plan...
However, I was thinking more along the lines of 'How can I survive water' not 'How can I avoid water'.
Torrad's not happy about his fear - he'd like to get over it and if an amulet or ring could keep him alive, he'd shell out the cash.

Funkyodor
2008-04-14, 10:23 AM
Heh, heh. Time to buy the Masterwork Water Wings to get a +2 to swim checks. A bottle of air at reduced price but with a single use, like 10 minutes might work.

Dust of Dryness removes water.

Elixer of Swimming adds a good competence bonus for an hour for cheap.

Craig1f
2008-04-14, 10:24 AM
Check the armor enchantments from Magic Item Compendium. I think there's one that helps with swimming. I think it's called Buoyancy. I believe it has a flat price, and is not a +1 enchantment.

I can't view it right now, but I think it gives you a plus something (at least 5) to your swim check, and allows you to behave in water as if you had freedom of movement.

Triaxx
2008-04-14, 10:26 AM
Maybe instead of admitting a fear of water, he could point out that he doesn't feel like leaving his heavy mail armor at home so he can walk through the swamp without slogging merrily with only his head visible on solid ground.

Item's are the best bet, namely a pair of boots of water walking. If anyone questions it, let him explain he can fight more effectively with the greater range of motion afforded by being able to walk on the water and flank the foes.

evisiron
2008-04-14, 10:26 AM
I have to go with the more mundane solution here (which is also the cheapest). Why not have a local craftsman make you a life jacktet out of pig bladders? This would help your character from being freaked out and keep you aloat. The only potential problem is that this may need to temporarily replace his traditional heavy cleric armour.

Also, would he be opposed to being tethered to strog party members, 'in case they need healing'? :smallwink:

Craig1f
2008-04-14, 10:40 AM
I just looked up Buoyancy. It's a bit out of your price range. For 4000gp, you ignore your armor penalty for swimming, and get a +2 bonus to swimming. If you're wearing heavy armor, that's a tremendous boost.

So that may not be what you are looking for. I was wrong about the freedom of movement part.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-14, 10:43 AM
"Ah'm a dwarf. Ah'm tha' best tank ya' bunch o' pansy elves gat. This 'ere's dwarven iron. Tha's 'alf tha reason Ah'm tha' best tank ya' got. Tha' otha' 'alf is tha' Ah'm fa' feet tall an' fa' 'unnerd pounds a' muscle. Ah don' do swimmin'. You, mage! Make me float, will ye."

Problem solved.

If he won't give you a levitate, then just buy a horse. They aren't too expensive, and should be able to swim.