PDA

View Full Version : Dual Wieldng Yoyos

The Cats
2008-04-14, 03:33 PM
Seriously, how awesome would that be? I unfortunately am not nearly familiar enough with the rules and such to make something like this, but someone should totally work on it! Yoyos with spikes that pop out when you throw them? MAN that would be cool! Jeez!

AugustNights
2008-04-14, 05:15 PM
I think I've seen the battle yo-yo somewhere before, but One would imagine it to be about as strong as a bullet or a rock.

I'd say 1d4 bludgeoning damage, Light weapon, reach of 10ft. Exotic weapon.

Dual wielding would work as normal.

The Cats
2008-04-14, 05:45 PM
Oh... so not as awesome as I imagined. Damn.

Rutee
2008-04-14, 05:49 PM
Stat them as flails. Go hogwild.

VForVaarsuvius
2008-04-14, 06:10 PM
Stats:

Name: Yoyo
Description: Forged by the Gods of Rejkalar 1000 years before creation itself, the Yoyo is a symbol of unity, time, and presence. It is also a friggin' awesome weapon.
Roll 12 to stun enemy
Roll 11 to auto-kill enemy
Roll 10 to send enemy flying 5 feet back
3 d20 attack, added to by speed and strength
Reach of 10 feet and 1 inch (HA!)

Duel Wielding rules: Roll 1-3 to tangle them, nullifying the attack; Roll 11-13 to choke enemy with them, autokilling.

\V/

Aleron
2008-04-14, 06:18 PM
Give Yo-Yo's the ability to do attempt a trip on a sucessfull attack roll though and your 1d4 weapon turns into an interesting impliment. Say if you duel weild and hit on both attacks you also attempt a trip, but with a higher save DC.

Make them a monk weapon that allows them to still hold them, even in both hands, and and choose to make an unarmed attack instead of the yo-yo attack. For this I'd make it a Simple Weapon or Exotic with the caviat that it is also a Monk Weapon.

Make them use a ranged-touch/touch attack instead of a normal attack roll for their attacks(seeing as they're such a close range weapon).

Just a couple ideas if their not already out there...if they are, well, mine's better LOL

Arakune
2008-04-14, 06:18 PM
Battle Yo-Yo
Exotic Weapon
Damage: 1d4 bludgeoning
Reach: 10 ft.
Special: A Battle Yo-Yo has reach, so you can strike opponents 10 feet away with it. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe. You can make trip attacks with the Yo-Yo at -4 penalty, but the opponent can't try to trip you during your trip attempt.
You can use the Two Weapon Fighting feat chain with the Battle Yo-Yo and treat it as a light weapon, others characters treat the Battle Yo-Yo as a one-handed martial weapon. Any character can apply the weapon finesse feat to this weapon.

RTGoodman
2008-04-14, 06:32 PM
If I remember correctly, the main character in Salvatore's Cleric Quintet, the cleric Cadderly, used (basically) a Yo-Yo as one of his weapons. I don't know if they're statted anywhere, but seeing as how he's an awesome character, it definitely shows that they're awesome to use.

Of course, he also shot crossbow bolts made with oil of impact that exploded upon hitting things, so he's pretty good in the awesome weapon department.

The Cats
2008-04-14, 08:08 PM
Though ryuan's seem much more realistic, I gotta say V takes awesome to a whole new level XD

Now all I gotta do is convince my DM to put these bebes in the campaign!

VForVaarsuvius
2008-04-14, 10:45 PM
Though ryuan's seem much more realistic, I gotta say V takes awesome to a whole new level XD

Now all I gotta do is convince my DM to put these bebes in the campaign!

*Proud Vaarsuvius-like expression* Thank you, thank you. I'll be anxious to see how this turns out...:smallbiggrin:

\V/

Bhu
2008-04-15, 03:19 AM
Girls weilding battle yo-yo's are a staple of japanese film and anime. I'll have to see if the local store has some. Been a while since I've seen one.

Khanderas
2008-04-15, 04:01 AM
I got a vague memor of battle yoyo's / razor yoyo's where razorblades would fold out from inside the yoyo when its extended.
Was it a videogame, DnD description, a more lucid then usual dream or just something I came up while delierious ? Donno... I think they were pink.:smalleek: or atleast red.

Duaneyo1
2008-04-15, 07:05 AM
Good old Cadderly, One of the most overpowered characters ever created. As long as he lugged that book of denier around He could spontanesouly cast any spell on the cleric list. His only limit was spells cast per day / level. To make things worse, he was also a level 20+ cleric who had lots of spell slots of his own.

Wizards used to have a page for Cadderly, but I can find it now. I remember seeing his "spindle disks" stated as a 1d4 x2 weapon. Of course is particular ones where Adamantine so they were a little more useful.

Roderick_BR
2008-04-15, 12:58 PM
In the game Star Gladiator (Capcom, for PlayStation), a green alien called Saturn Dyer, fights with 2 yo-yos. Too bad I couldn't find a good image or animation with him.
I'd make it a light weapon, damage 1d6, critical x2, bludgeoning, reach, exotic.
Or damage 1d4, critical x3.
Compare it with a light mace (damage 1d6, critical x2, bludgeoning, simple), or a short sword (damage 1d6, critical 19-20/x2, puncturing, martial).

Prometheus
2008-04-16, 02:30 PM
I agree with ChumpLump

I'd say 1d4 bludgeoning damage, Light weapon, reach of 10ft. Exotic weapon. Dual wielding would work as normal.
Of course, what you really want is not just to smack things with yoyo's, but do spectacular things with yo-yo tricks. If I had a character really interested in it, I'd either make a series of homebrew feats or a homebrew class to fit the idea. You could use any standard action list here as a part of multiple attacks including TWF, although some are two-handed. Here's some possible examples:
-Sleeper(one-handed): You receive the benefit of the Improved Feint feat, but only for when wielding a yo-yo. (If this is a feat, it wold also be an important prerequisite)
-Walk the Dog(one-handed): You may perform a feint as a standard action, and if you are successful, you may make a disarm attempt at a +4 circumstance bonus.
-Around the World (one-handed): You may perform a feint as a standard action, and if you are successful, you may make a disarm attempt at a +4 circumstance bonus.
-UFO (one-handed): You may make any attack against any enemy that is flanking you as if you were flanking that enemy.
-Eating Spagetti (two-handed): You may replace make a perform check using a feint check, as one would with a tumble check.
-Double or Nothing (two-handed): You may make a disarm check when you are attacked with a melee weapon that misses by an opponent that had failed a feint check on your previous turn.
-Sky Rocket (one-handed): You may use your yo-yo as a thrown ranged weapon with a ranged increment of 10 at no penalty. If you throw directly upwards, you may catch your yo-yo and reclaim it.
-Time Warp (one handed): You may perform a feint as a full-round action. If you are successful, you may make a disarm attempt at a +6 circumstance bonus.
-Brain Twister (two handed): You may perform a feint as a full-round action at a -10 penalty. If you are successful, the opponent must make a Will save equal to 15 + half your level or become confused for 1d4 rounds
-Split the Atom (two handed): You may use a feint check opposed to an opponents Sense Motive to fascinate creatures as the Bardic Music Ability: Fascinate
-Ferris Wheel: You may perform Sleight of Hand checks while wielding a yo-yo in one hand and nothing in your off hand, so long as you also succeed on a feint check.

Mind you, I know very little about yo-yo tricks, so there are probably some definite tweaks to this list.

RTGoodman
2008-04-16, 06:14 PM
[Whole big list of yo-yo tricks]

You know, it strikes me that, instead of trying to do this via feats or something, this would work out really well as a ToB-style class or PrC, with each trick being a different maneuver. In fact, you could create a whole martial discipline ("Spinning Yo-Yo"?) for probably Swordsage/Warblade that leads into the PrC (which should be accessible to others with some feat investment in Martial Study).

(If you don't like ToB, you could always go with a variant on the Giant's Halfling Rock-Skipping Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/CsORDNEyp2GRLIhacLj.html) prestige class. It's similar in theme.)

Ninjalitude
2008-04-16, 07:07 PM
a whole martial discipline "Spinning Yo-Yo"

*twitch* suddenly i have an urge to do just that... Although i don't know much about ToB, anyone want to help?