PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade Spells

kjones
2008-04-14, 05:14 PM
One of my players wants to play a duskblade, and they seem like a pretty decent class, but I looked over their spell list, and it's pretty worthless. I want to houserule to allow them more and better spells, but within bounds of reason. What spells can I give the duskblade that won't make them overpowered?

mostlyharmful
2008-04-14, 05:18 PM
Most self buffs, like Haste. If you don't want them to be over powered (say if you've got monks or fighters in the party) you can easily move a spell up a level or two, just stay away from stuff like polymorph or the other uber spells mentioned in Wiz vs. X threads and you should be golden.

Roland St. Jude
2008-04-14, 05:18 PM
Yes. The trick is to give them spells from other sources that are basically in line with the types of spells they're given in the PHBII. Fax and I split up the available sources and put together a list a while back of spells that we thought the PHBII writers would have given duskblades if they hadn't been constrained to the PHB and PHBII spells. I'll see if I can dig it up. (Thanks @\/)

There are a few duskblade spells outside the PHB from texts that came out after the PHB, but not more than a handful.

Glyphic
2008-04-14, 05:25 PM
Your list, Sir.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2416523&postcount=4

Neftren
2008-04-14, 06:05 PM
I believe the only spells outside of the PHB II would be from Races of Dragons... I think there are two from there? Oh and I believe Dragon magazine had one, but all of them were pretty worthless.

kjones
2008-04-14, 06:25 PM
I guess I'm a little confused. Why are there so few spells listed on page 98 of the PHB II? Why are none of them core spells? (Shocking Grasp, for example, seems a prime candidate for the Duskblade.) Why does it say that he gets 0th level spells, and then not list any of them? Am I missing something?

The_Snark
2008-04-14, 06:27 PM
Yes—the Duskblade's full spell list is located on page 24, at the very end of the section on duskblades. The list on page 98 lists only the spells that are from the new book. That might be part of the problem—they've got a pretty good, if limited, spell list.

Bauglir
2008-04-14, 09:36 PM
That is one of the more confusing things I've seen in D&D books that isn't incorrect or impossible to use *coughIllithidBlastcough*. I'm willing to bet it's a mistake that they direct readers to page 98, since only part of their spell list is located there and the sentence implies that it's the full one. Either that or some screwy logic I can't comprehend.

Hal
2008-04-14, 10:29 PM
However, a Duskblade is only going to get a minor boost from an expanded spell list; learning only one new spell each level, the small list of spells to choose from isn't their biggest problem.

Devils_Advocate
2008-04-15, 12:28 PM
That is one of the more confusing things I've seen in D&D books that isn't incorrect or impossible to use *coughIllithidBlastcough*. I'm willing to bet it's a mistake that they direct readers to page 98, since only part of their spell list is located there and the sentence implies that it's the full one. Either that or some screwy logic I can't comprehend.
Yeah, when p. 19 of the PHB II says "You cast arcane spells, which are drawn from the duskblade spell list on page 98", that part apparently is in fact incorrect. Page 98 does not give the Duskblade spell list, it gives the new Duskblade spells included in the PHB II. The Duskblade spell list is on page 24... after a bunch of non-game-mechanical info which they placed in between the Duskblade's class features and its spell list, as if to trick you into thinking that they're done detailing the class's mechanics in this part of the book. Which leads one to think that the sentence indicating that their spell list is located elsewhere must be correct.

Add in the fact that the description of the Beguiler class and the table of contents direct you to the Beguiler's actual spell list, and it seems almost as though they were deliberately trying to confuse people. OK, now I know why I see people clarifying this all the time. They seriously goofed up on that. Did that ever get errataed?

Burley
2008-04-15, 01:27 PM
I'm wanting to give that list to one of my players, allowing to retrain if he'd like to. Are there any suggestions for spells from Complete Mage? I know a lot of those aren't really the correct style, but...any of them?

Roland St. Jude
2008-04-15, 02:50 PM
I'm wanting to give that list to one of my players, allowing to retrain if he'd like to. Are there any suggestions for spells from Complete Mage? I know a lot of those aren't really the correct style, but...any of them?

Hmm, buffs, rays, movement enhancements, and touch or weapon delivered spells are most consistent with the duskblade list. Off the cuff...

Complete Mage
Assassin Spells
Bloodletting (1)
Catsfeet (1)
Summon Weapon (2)
Rusted Blade (3) (or (4) as per Wiz/Sorc list)
Unseen Strike (4)

Wiz/Sorc Spells
Steam Jet (1)
Escalating Enfeeblement (2)
Heart of Air (2)
Tenacious Dispelling (3)
Heart of Water (3)
Prickling Torment (3)
Heart of Earth (4)
Crypt Warden's Grasp (5)
Touch of Vecna (5)
Heart of Fire (5)
Tactical Teleportation (6) as (5)

Very cautiously, I might suggest the following in an otherwise highly optimized campaign...
Adamantine Wings (7) but as (5)
Unicorn Heart (7) but as (5)

I didn't even consider the WuJen or Hexblade spells nor the divine ones. And this is quite off the cuff based on the short descriptions and my memory.