PDA

View Full Version : Never use Axis Hosting

Renegade Paladin
2008-04-14, 06:40 PM
http://www.axishosting.com/

Never use this hosting company. Ever.

Just saying the important part first. Now for the explanation:

Some friends of mine operate a website. They'd been through a couple different hosting providers, and Axis Hosting was the latest one until today.

The site was often down, sometimes for extended periods, which was bad enough. The last such time, whatever it is they do to the server to make it go down had accidentally destroyed a large chunk of the site's data; they restored from weekly backups that were more than a week old, and were missing entire tables, such as the message board's private message function. They had to restore from backups they had on their own machines, which were months out of date because they were paying Axis to do the backup work for them and expected them to do it.

But this isn't the worst part. No, that's this: Today, they suspended the account without warning.

Why? Because one of the owners of the site wrote a negative review of their performance. You may find it here (http://www.webhostingstuff.com/comments/AxisHOSTcom-11322.html). They apparently considered this enough of an affront to completely cut off the service of paying customers without warning, and so far without returning their data.

Groundhog
2008-04-15, 01:04 PM
I think your second link's broken. But I found the review anyway. Seems to me that this company was neglecting your friends' account just because they picked up the server from someone else. Then I saw their response to the review. Yeah, they have tons of good reviews, but that has nothing to do with whether they wronged your friends. Someone with a perfect record is still capable of committing a crime.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-04-15, 01:14 PM
I think your second link's broken. But I looked in their terms of service thingus, and there's something in there that says that if the user breaks one of the things stated in the terms of service, then Axis can terminate the account without warning. They probably decided that your friends' so-called negative performance includes breaking some rule of theirs, just so they'd have an excuse to kill the account. (Maybe they didn't appreciate your friends' annoyance at having their data get lost.) Anyway, I feel really bad for your friends, and I hope they find a better provider soon!

You can't read it?

This is what it contains:
Allen's Review of AxisHOST.com

Allen of www.libriumarcana.com rated:
Overall Rating:
Uptime and Reliability:
Technical Support:
Customer Service:
Write a review

Subject: Axishosting = Bad
- by Allen Thibodaux of www.libriumarcana.com on 23 Mar 2008:

" I used to have my site hosted on Admhosting prior to Axis' buyout. And for the life of me, I wish every day Admhosting had never sold out to axis.

with Admhosting, I suffered one downtime in a year and a half, great tech support, and a pleasure working with them. In the lil less than a year Axishosting has been hosting my site, I've had nothing but problems. My site constantly goes down with server problems, sometimes for days at a time (seems like they reinstall on that server often). It's Normally comes back up alright, with no lost information, until recently.

On Wednesday March 19, my site went down with another of whatever it is they do to my server. When it Finally came back on twelve hours later, my site looked fine, until I went to check the forums or the blogs. Their backup Destroyed all the Mysql databases on my website. Every single one, from the forum, to the blogs, to a couple of experimental databases I was running. When contacted to Try To fix the problem, they "didn't have access to the daily backups, so they had to goto the weekly" which was Over A Week Old! And They Weren't Complete! Both the blog and forum databases were Missing entire tables! The forum was missing the user and Private message tables in their entirety! I lost over a week's worth of data in both databases, plus months more becausethe earliest restore I had was months old since I was counting on them for the backups. Months of information that'll never come back!

This is insane from a hosting company, They have lost a customer, as I'm looking for a new one now. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allen's Rating of AxisHOST.com:

Overall Rating:
(Poor)

Uptime and Reliability:
(Poor)

Technical Support:
(Poor)

Customer Service:
(Poor)

AxisHOST.com Plan bought:
AxisHOST Multi-A

Time with AxisHOST.com:
Between 1 year to 2 years

Billing Status:
Existing Customer

Groundhog
2008-04-15, 01:22 PM
Aha. I saw a different review, which I'm pretty sure was from the owner whose name was on the account. Annoying, how some companies get so full of themselves after a while, they don't think they can do anything wrong.