PDA

View Full Version : Tables

Sensate
2008-04-15, 03:25 AM
How do I make those neat thingies often used to track score in Hurt and Heal games or to display avatars in the Avatar Adoption thread?

Zeb The Troll
2008-04-15, 05:01 AM
By using the table tags.

{table]items[/table]

You can get more complicated with it.

Use table=head in the opening tag to get the top row to be a header row which allows you to sort columns.

{table=head]1
3[/table]

makes this

{table=head]1
3[/table]

Use pipes (|) to make additional columns

{table=head]1|A
2|B
3|C[/table]

makes this

{table=head]1|A
2|B
3|C[/table]

and all regular formatting works within the cells as well

{table=head]1|wide column|A
2|
text|B
3||C[/table]

makes this

{table=head]1|wide column|A
2|
text|B
3||C[/table]

Sensate
2008-04-15, 09:25 AM
Thank you, the answer is most satisfactory. :smallsmile:

kamikasei
2008-04-18, 12:59 PM
*waves hand*

I have a question! Is there a way to fit multiple lines of text into a single cell? I'd like to use a table in my signature to put a banner image alongside the rest of my sig, off to the right. It seems though that having multiple lines of text splits off into multiple rows... which defeats the purpose.

B-Man
2008-04-18, 01:10 PM
*waves hand*

I have a question! Is there a way to fit multiple lines of text into a single cell? I'd like to use a table in my signature to put a banner image alongside the rest of my sig, off to the right. It seems though that having multiple lines of text splits off into multiple rows... which defeats the purpose.

You can have a column span by like so:

{table]this is|not|spanned
{colsp=3}this is
{colsp=2}this is|somewhat[/table]

Which produces this:

{table]this is|not|spanned
{colsp=3}this is
{colsp=2}this is|somewhat[/table]

crimson77
2008-04-18, 01:10 PM
*waves hand*

YES....

You have to use the function. Here is a quick version of your current signature

{table]http://www.gorbashkazdar.com/sosbannergb.gif|[LIST] "But the delight and pride of Aulė is in the deed of making, and in the thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he gives andhoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work." My PbP status... Jarel Hoan, enduring the Age of Worms. Varech Tael, caught in the Red Hand of Doom.[/table]

Zherog
2008-04-18, 01:56 PM
You can also use the BR tag, like this:

{table]http://www.gorbashkazdar.com/sosbannergb.gif|"But the delight and pride of Aulė is in the deed of making, and in the thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he gives andhoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."[br][br]My PbP status...[br]Jarel Hoan, enduring the Age of Worms.[br]Varech Tael, caught in the Red Hand of Doom.[/table]

Which gives:

{table]http://www.gorbashkazdar.com/sosbannergb.gif|"But the delight and pride of Aulė is in the deed of making, and in the thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he gives andhoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."[br][br]My PbP status...[br]Jarel Hoan, enduring the Age of Worms.[br]Varech Tael, caught in the Red Hand of Doom.[/table]

Of course, that produces a sig which is longer than 12 lines... :smallwink:

kamikasei
2008-04-18, 02:10 PM
I love you both (and can't believe I forgot the <br> tag... or didn't think to attempt it if it's not on the tag list...). Now to read the sig rules very carefully.

edit: Read them. So, benevolent mod-lords, would having an image alongside text still have both the text and image line-numbers stack, or overlap?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-18, 02:14 PM
It should be noted that the "[br]" tag is subject to a bug that causes the square brackets to be changed into angle brackets (i.e. "<" and ">") when reloaded into an editable text box. This means any time you quote someone that used them or edit a signature that uses them, they will all have to be manually fixed. Otherwise, a table that should look like this:

{table]I[br]am[br]Legend!|No[br]You're[br]Not![/table]

Will look like this:

{table]I<br>am<br>Legend!|No<br>You're<br>Not![/table]

I know I reported this bug way back when the "[br]" tag was introduced. I hope it's still on the to-fix list.

(Note: the "[hr]" tag is subject to the same bug.)

Zherog
2008-04-18, 02:22 PM
edit: Read them. So, benevolent mod-lords, would having an image alongside text still have both the text and image line-numbers stack, or overlap?

I'm not a mod-lord, but my understanding is that a sig can be no longer than 12 lines, total, regardless of what makes up that size.

kamikasei
2008-04-18, 02:31 PM
I'm not a mod-lord, but my understanding is that a sig can be no longer than 12 lines, total, regardless of what makes up that size.

Yes - but (I can only assume) the point of that is to limit the total height of a signature. If the text and the image are side-by-side, neither is making the sig any longer than the other. For example, Rawhide has four images side-by-side in his sig, each counting as 8 lines. Since they're side-by-side, they still count as 8 lines (again, I'm assuming), rather than 32. Similarly, wouldn't it make sense for side-by-side text and images to count only as as many lines as the height of the tallest element?

Zherog
2008-04-18, 02:40 PM
Right, that's exactly what I meant. Your sig can be no longer than 12 lines. If you have a 120 pixel high image, that counts as 8 lines of text. If you also have 4 lines of text right next to the image, your sig is still only 8 lines high.

kamikasei
2008-04-18, 02:48 PM
Right, that's exactly what I meant. Your sig can be no longer than 12 lines. If you have a 120 pixel high image, that counts as 8 lines of text. If you also have 4 lines of text right next to the image, your sig is still only 8 lines high.

Oh, okay. I misunderstood, then. But why then did you say that the example sig you posted earlier was more than 12 lines?

Jasdoif
2008-04-18, 02:55 PM
But why then did you say that the example sig you posted earlier was more than 12 lines?I think it's a matter of screen resolution. On my 1024x768, line wrapping makes the text take up 16 lines worth of space.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-04-18, 03:27 PM
I think it's a matter of screen resolution. On my 1024x768, line wrapping makes the text take up 16 lines worth of space.
That's exactly the case. On my normal resolution, the text amounts to 7 lines, most of which is due to hard returns. When I shrink the window to ~1024 wide, it takes up several more lines. Smaller text size would help that, though.

Zherog
2008-04-18, 03:33 PM
I think it's a matter of screen resolution. On my 1024x768, line wrapping makes the text take up 16 lines worth of space.

Yep, exactly.

edit: note to self, read the whole thread before replying...

kamikasei
2008-04-18, 03:33 PM
That's exactly the case. On my normal resolution, the text amounts to 7 lines, most of which is due to hard returns. When I shrink the window to ~1024 wide, it takes up several more lines. Smaller text size would help that, though.

Hmmm. Where's the line drawn? I mean, presumably most signatures would look crazily long to someone running on 800x600. In the guidelines it's left unspecified.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-19, 07:01 AM
Well, I know that a screen still using 800 x 600 resolution will have Horizontal Scroll Bar of Doom ™ on the Forums. So the place isn't particularly friendly to that resolution to begin with.

This article would (http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat_trends.htm#res) seem to suggest that the world is currently in transition between 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 as the standard resolutions to plan a website around.

When I make a judgement call whether to complain about a particular signature, it's gonna be based on how it appears on my 1024 pixel monitor.

BTW, that width makes determining whether an image is oversize by pixel width a cinch, since anything over the 550 pixel limit set forth in the rules causes Horizontal Scroll Bar of Doom™.

Of course, I'm not a mod, so most of the above is just rambling without any actual policy. I'm just very opinionated on the subject and couldn't resist throwing my 2 cp in.