PDA

View Full Version : I need a monster!

senrath
2008-04-15, 08:42 AM
I'm in need of a monster or monsters. It needs to be no "bigger" than CR 2, dwell in caves and/or tunnels, and be fiercely territorial and/or blood thirsty. Any book is fine, and so is homebrew. Thanks in advance.

Adumbration
2008-04-15, 08:45 AM
Here's a few:

A Choker
A Huge Monstrous Centipede
A Skum
A Wererat
A Ratswarm

And these are just straight off the d20 Monster Filter.

senrath
2008-04-15, 09:01 AM
Hmm, an Skum might work, since I already have a lake in my map. Choker's no good, since they don't actively seek out prey within their territory, they just wait for it. Maybe the centipede, but probably not.

I also would like a list of monsters that are below CR2 as well. And other suggestions for CR2 monsters would be cool.

hamishspence
2008-04-15, 09:05 AM
do animals count, like badgers or wolverines?

senrath
2008-04-15, 09:06 AM
I'd prefer to avoid just plain animals, if at all possible.

hamishspence
2008-04-15, 09:14 AM
Phaerlock from Underdark book look like flayed lizardfolk with four eyes, and have a short duration paralyzing gaze, which also leaves target shaken for a little longer, after paralysis wears off (Fort 13 against both effects) Its called Share Pain.

Hal
2008-04-15, 09:17 AM
Ogres, Kobolds, Goblins, Gnolls . . . all fine CR2 or less monster races.

Otherwise, I think Assassin Vines are fairly low CR as well. Can't recall exactly.

Devils_Advocate
2008-04-15, 02:43 PM
Here's a few:

A Choker
A Huge Monstrous Centipede
A Skum
A Wererat
A Ratswarm

And these are just straight off the d20 Monster Filter.
Also, grimlocks and troglodytes.

You could throw in a grimock tribe and a troglodyte tribe that are warring with each other over territory, if you wanted.

Glawackus
2008-04-15, 02:48 PM
From the same people who brought you the Hypertext d20 SRD: the d20 Monster Filter! (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20monsterfilter/) :smallwink:

Or at least, it's linked on their website. :smallsigh:

Maerok
2008-04-15, 02:51 PM
Fiendish kobolds/goblins! :D

dspeyer
2008-04-15, 10:24 PM
Kobold sorceror.

Remember to use the elite array. A 15 cha lvl 2 sorceror may be limited to a few level 1 spells per day, but some well-placed illusions (eg ground where there isn't any) and magic-missile to anyone really weak should make him something of a menace.

Pandaren
2008-04-15, 10:27 PM
FTW both posts above, kobolds, best creatures to use for low-levels, but then you think, I'm using kobolds in a game where you kil the enemy....yeah, I use them as combat support for larger creatures or as allies for the PC's. Yes its an evil campaign. Don't blame me.

AslanCross
2008-04-15, 11:25 PM
Kobolds, definitely.

Collin152
2008-04-15, 11:42 PM
I'm in need of a monster or monsters. It needs to be no "bigger" than CR 2, dwell in caves and/or tunnels, and be fiercely territorial and/or blood thirsty. Any book is fine, and so is homebrew. Thanks in advance.

You describe a badger down to every detail.
Just make it psuedonatural and call it a day.

Dode
2008-04-15, 11:50 PM
Dire Badger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direBadger.htm)

The_Werebear
2008-04-16, 01:43 AM
Ghouls. You could say a graveyard is home to a ghoul warren, and they expanded downward into natural caves. They are aggressive and clever hunters, and a few of them can give a party a run for their money, especially if your cleric makes a poor turning roll or they can pull off an ambush and paralyze a few people.

senrath
2008-04-16, 05:51 AM
Wow, nice suggestions. But now I can't decide whether to use the Skum or the Dire Badger. I'm saving kobold's for later, since one of my players has so far attempted to identify every lizardlike thing I throw at them as a kobold, so I want to really throw them for a loop when I actually do use one.