PDA

View Full Version : Does magic armor lose it abilities when it is resized?

AngryRussian16
2008-04-15, 02:52 PM
There was a discussion about this at my last session, and without any sourcebooks we were unable to find an answer

Thank you in advance

Dorizzit
2008-04-15, 02:54 PM
It wouldn't seem like that would be the case to me. Doesn't magic armor change to fit the wearer?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-15, 02:55 PM
It wouldn't seem like that would be the case to me. Doesn't magic armor change to fit the wearer?Correct. words

Reel On, Love
2008-04-15, 02:56 PM
There was a discussion about this at my last session, and without any sourcebooks we were unable to find an answer

Thank you in advance

You mean when it is mundanely resized, rather than magically adjusting?

Sourcebooks won't tell you. It's up to you. IMO, saying it does just makes it pointlessly harder for the PCs to trade gear, so it should.

AKA_Bait
2008-04-15, 02:56 PM
As I understand it, Magic Armor automatically resizes to fit it's wearer just by virtue of being enchanted armor. I've never seen anything that indicates after resizing it would lose its abilities and it would be quite absurd in my view if it did, since there would then be no reason for it to magically resize.

Jasdoif
2008-04-15, 02:59 PM
I don't think magic armor (nor weapons) automatically resize, actually. The section about magic item sizes says most clothing automatically resizes, yes; but there's also the line in there for randomly determining the size of a piece of armor or weapon. That makes no sense unless there's some significance to their size.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-04-15, 03:05 PM
Magical armor does not resize automatically. (At least not outside of the designated categories, small, medium, large etc.)

EDIT:

Ninja'ed I see... Welcome back Jasdoif, it has been a while. Hope you were kept away for good reasons only. :smallsmile:

AKA_Bait
2008-04-15, 03:10 PM
Magical armor does not resize automatically. (At least not outside of the designated categories, small, medium, large etc.)

Wait, for my own edification, does that mean it does resize automatically within the designated categories? Or that it only does if there is a specific property of the armor that allows it to, and then within those categories?

I had pretty much assumed (possibly foolishly) that the OP meant it was resizing within the standard sizes.

tyckspoon
2008-04-15, 03:23 PM
All armors of a size class are assumed to fit all creatures of that size class (and general shape- most armor is meant for bipedal humanoid creatures.) unless said otherwise, as with full plate that requires individual fitting. Magic armor can safely be assumed to share that property; it likely just means it'll fit comfortably instead of being a little off but still functional. Magic armors and weapons will not resize between size categories, however, unlike other worn wondrous items- you can give a giant your Amulet of Natural armor to wear, but you cannot give him your +1 Breastplate.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-04-15, 03:33 PM
Wait, for my own edification, does that mean it does resize automatically within the designated categories? Or that it only does if there is a specific property of the armor that allows it to, and then within those categories?

I had pretty much assumed (possibly foolishly) that the OP meant it was resizing within the standard sizes.

Within each category, not with those categories. :smalltongue:

It is a feature of all armor, not just magic armor, that one size fits all within the category (at least when creatures are the same type:smallwink: ). All small armor fits all small creatures etc.

Sorry about confusing things with what was suppoed to be an unimportant aside.

Telonius
2008-04-15, 03:49 PM
Right. We've got a couple different methods of changing size. Here's how I would adjudicate several cases.

Medium character wearing medium armor is subjected to an Enlarge Person spell: Armor does resize and maintains all of its properties.

Medium character tries to put on small armor: Armor does not resize. Character cannot wear the armor.

Small character is subjected to an Enlarge Person spell, and puts on Medium armor: Armor does not resize, but character can wear the armor functionally.

Same small character has the Enlarge Person effect end: Armor does not resize; armor no longer fits and the character cannot use it. (The spell was cast on the person and the gear present at the time. The armor was not present when the spell was cast, so does not change shape to fit).

Mando Knight
2008-04-15, 07:05 PM
Find the answer to your question old-school style: have the DM write up a d% table as to whether the armor loses its enchantments (or, perhaps, oddly gains some on a result of 100...) when it's resized for a differently sized creature.