PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With An Extraterrestrial General Turned Lovcraftian Horror

Leliel
2008-04-15, 03:52 PM
Well, in my "Alien Invasion in Eberron" Thread, I mentioned the Nic'en (the aforementioned alien invaders) leader, Areis Maen. Well, although I can pretty much stat his initial being out myself, by the time the projected campaign path ends, his abuse of his absorbed quori essence (long story) has caused him to grow so much in psionic power that he has literally become to much for his organic body to hold, and he requires a machine to hold his soul in a coherent form (sort of like Gigyas from Earthbound). I can also stat that out myself, but when the PCs destroy it...Well:

The machine bursts in an azure explosion of dark matter. As the dust clears, you see a metallic sphere at the center of the ruins. As you approach what is obviously Aries' container, however, it begins to flicker and bulge with psychic energy. Cracks appear in it's hull, revealing glowing white light. Finally, it explodes, releasing what is best termed as living darkness escapes, enveloping the room. Chaotic swirls of energy wheel within the shadow, becoming ordered at one point to give the impression of a bird-like figure standing where the capsule was, regarding you with "eyes" made of pure hate. Normally, you would guess this to be Maen, and indeed, your subconscious tells you that this is the focus of the alien commander's thoughts. But something tells you that that isn't the only place he is.

For he is everywhere.

Well, creepy thematic effects aside, Aries, in his unbound state, has a lesser range of powers, but the ones he gains are far stronger than before, to the point where the PCs lose the ability to properly perceive his attacks. He also gains a far more, if you pardon the expression, alien way of thought, to the point where it becomes hard for him to communicate with normal mortals (example: A perfectly normal question-"Why do you fight?"- becomes a nearly incoherent jumble which manages to get the point across-"Self. Do not. Comprehend. Battle. Query. Describe. Fight. Reasons. Humanoids?") The trouble is, I don't know how to stat him in this form (other than his being some kind of outsider, probably quori, with psionic powers through the roof, and some ability to mask his attacks).

So how does one go about creating what is essentially a mortal Lovecraftian horror?"

Jasdoif
2008-04-15, 04:06 PM
Well...Why do you need to stat him in that form? I'll admit I'm not overly versed in Lovecraftian horror, but an abstract mass of abilities is by definition more mysterious/unknowable then a statted out creature entry. Isn't that more useful to you?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-15, 04:14 PM
So how does one go about creating what is essentially a mortal Lovecraftian horror?

Well, there's the Moonbeast in MM2 or FF (I always forget which is which). That's the Son of Yog-Sothoth straight from Dunwich Horror for you.

I don't see how the Lovecraftiness plays into it. "Lovecraftian horrors" range from apes (ape) to fish-men (kuo-toa) to degenerate man-rats (goblin) to genuine deities.

Just pick what abilities you need, see if there's a monster that corresponds, and if not, cobble together the stats.

Leliel
2008-04-15, 04:15 PM
Well...Why do you need to stat him in that form? I'll admit I'm not overly versed in Lovecraftian horror, but an abstract mass of abilities is by definition more mysterious/unknowable then a statted out creature entry. Isn't that more useful to you?

Well...The PCs won't beat him in the conventional sense (They'll have to use the power of friendship with telepaths to convince him to leave Eberron alone), but part of his attack revenue is creating a semisolid mass to attack them. Obviously, the PCs can't truly defeat it, but it's nice to have stats for it. Less thinking of somthing on the spot.

Jasdoif
2008-04-15, 04:31 PM
Well...The PCs won't beat him in the conventional sense (They'll have to use the power of friendship with telepaths to convince him to leave Eberron alone), but part of his attack revenue is creating a semisolid mass to attack them. Obviously, the PCs can't truly defeat it, but it's nice to have stats for it. Less thinking of somthing on the spot.Ahh...I see.

In that case, I would suggest you stat up this semisolid mass as a creature, that should be a lot more manageable then trying to encompass the guy himself. My very first thought, which may or may not be a good idea, is to stat it up as a swarm, with the added feature that it has a tentacle attack it can use, either on its turn or as attacks of opportunity when the PCs try to escape a square it occupies. (Yes, I know that swarms don't normally make normal attacks. All the better to frighten/confuse the players as well as the characters, yes?) I was thinking it'd make trip attacks unless the target is already is prone, in which case it's a normal melee attack. (And of course, you can't trip a semisolid mass that temporarily coalesces part of itself to make that solid tentacle).