PDA

View Full Version : Timeless Body

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-15, 08:28 PM
Timeless Body is a 9th level Psion power that makes you completely immune to all harmful and helpful effects for 1 round. Even epic magic and deities with Alter Reality can't harm you for that round.

My question is how to get it persisted so it lasts all day. :smallbiggrin:

If you can convince your DM that magic/psionic transparency allows you to apply metamagic you possess to a power using the Incantatrixes metamagic effect then your golden.

But I am looking for a less rules bendy way to do it. Either a way to turn Timeless Body into a spell or a way to persist a power.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-15, 08:34 PM
Hmm...would an item of infinite autocasting be cheaper than a continual effect? Far as I know, if there's no Persist power metapsionic, you're screwed. Everybody knows that the transparency is only partial.

Crow
2008-04-15, 08:34 PM
Does helpful effects mean things like blur or mage armor (ignore the psionic-magic transparency thing for a moment)? Or is it just things like bull's strength?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-15, 08:36 PM
EVERYTHING. Except inherents and the enchantment on arms and armor, I believe. Fortunately, that means immunity to dispel magic too, so that enemies can't ruin the fun.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-04-15, 08:36 PM
Hmm, this gives me an excellent idea for a character *arches fingers* "excellent"

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-15, 08:38 PM
Hmm, this gives me an excellent idea for a character *arches fingers* "excellent"

Me to. If I can find any way to persist TB.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-15, 08:42 PM
Wasn't there an autocasting special attachment for wands and the like? Use that, and a Glowstone, and it's pretty much the same effect.

Douglas
2008-04-15, 08:47 PM
Fortunately, that means immunity to dispel magic too, so that enemies can't ruin the fun.
YOU may be immune to dispel magic, but your buffs are not. A dispel targeted on Timeless Body works just fine.

Jasdoif
2008-04-15, 08:47 PM
I normally discourage use of things from Complete Psionic....

...but it has the Temporal Reiteration power. It's a 5th level, Nomad discipline "only", power that makes the last round not count against the duration of any ongoing effects on you. Basically increases durations by one round. Takes a swift action. The description specifically includes non-psionic effects like poison and rage.

Now, a friend of mine pointed this out....Combine it with the Metamind's Font of Power. Because Font of Power is active the manifestation of Temporal Reiteration doesn't drain any power points; and Temporal Reiteration, will, naturally, extend the duration of the Font of Power effect at the same time. And because it applies to any effect, not just ones you manifest personally, you can manifest Timeless Body from a power stone or such with no worry; pretty much necessary because you lose 5 manifester levels from Metamind.

Now you have no limit on power points, thus can continue Timeless Body indefinitely as long as you can take a swift action every round.

FlyMolo
2008-04-15, 09:24 PM
Wasn't there an autocasting special attachment for wands and the like? Use that, and a Glowstone, and it's pretty much the same effect.

Glowstones take 10 minutes to recharge, am I right? And this wand thing is going off every 6 seconds.

You're going to need more than one.

avr
2008-04-15, 09:49 PM
In Magic of Eberron, you can get a psionic artificer. They can get normal metamagic feats I think, and they can use infusions to apply them to items. There's a shield which can manifest Timeless Body, or you could use dorjes or power stones.

That said, any DM who let you get away with this should be shot for dereliction of duty.

Edit - this doesn't work, they get metapsionic feats + feats from a restricted list

Nebo_
2008-04-15, 10:15 PM
Malhavoc Press' Hyperconscious has Persistent Power. That's the most official thing I can find that meets your needs.

the_tick_rules
2008-04-15, 11:35 PM
i hope you can't, that wouldn't be any fun if you could.

Kyalid
2008-04-16, 06:02 AM
The only Problem i'd see is that this ability also would render you immune to heal-spells na dthus if you come to 0HP you'd propably die if noone gets to use a mundane heal-check on you.
And auto-casting would be stronger than persist, since timeless body could be dispelled.

Allis
2008-04-16, 06:26 AM
I don't have the book, so I can't look it up. Does using the power still make it possible to attack/deal damage/do stuff?

kamikasei
2008-04-16, 06:40 AM
The only Problem i'd see is that this ability also would render you immune to heal-spells na dthus if you come to 0HP you'd propably die if noone gets to use a mundane heal-check on you.

Presumably if you get knocked to 0HP while under the effects of Timeless Body you have bigger problems than heal checks.

@OP: could you do something (this is a complete ass pull) with an Erudite and a spell-to-power'd permanency?

I don't have the book, so I can't look it up. Does using the power still make it possible to attack/deal damage/do stuff?

You can find most of the contents of the XPH at the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org). Here's Timeless Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timelessBody.htm). It says "your body ignores all harmful (and helpful) effects", and "you are invulnerable to all attacks and powers". Nothing limits your own actions.

Allis
2008-04-16, 06:52 AM
i don't see why you would want your character to be able to do that for infinite time. Yes, it makes your char really unbreakable. Wow. I'd say it takes away from roleplaying, a lot. What fun is there in encounters if it's not in the least dangerous?

Thanks for the link!

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-16, 08:44 AM
i don't see why you would want your character to be able to do that for infinite time. Yes, it makes your char really unbreakable. Wow. I'd say it takes away from roleplaying, a lot. What fun is there in encounters if it's not in the least dangerous?

I think it would greatly increase Roleplaying, being invulnerable. Since you would still have goals to accomplish and friends to protect. The point being that you now have a much richer personality as a character for being invulnerable and finding ways to deal with that.

hamishspence
2008-04-16, 08:56 AM
The Indestructible Man doesn't just appear in Gerry Anderson: other writers have done it. Works best when guy is relatively ordinary, but just won't die. Which doesn't stop bad guys doing horrible things to him, or him having to cope with outliving his buddies, etc.

Invincibility in the sence of no one can beat him in a fight, do anying to him that will hurt, etc, can get old fast. Highlander style is a little more fun. And Flint in Star Trek original series was that sort of guy: he has been many big big names throughout history.

What sort of twist can be put on the concept?

konfeta
2008-04-16, 08:59 AM
But can this save you from Pun-Pun's Most Holy Wrath?

namo
2008-04-17, 03:40 AM
The Monastic Servant of Auppenser (google it - it's part of a not-completely-official WE for Lost Empires of Faerun, since it was made by the author but perhaps not published by WotC) allows a divine caster to cast powers from any one discipline as spells.

Cuddly
2008-04-17, 04:54 AM
I think it would greatly increase Roleplaying, being invulnerable. Since you would still have goals to accomplish and friends to protect. The point being that you now have a much richer personality as a character for being invulnerable and finding ways to deal with that.

It'd be like playing through a Superman comic.

lord_khaine
2008-04-17, 06:21 AM
It'd be like playing through a Superman comic

except that superman is not really invulnerable, he just got enough damage reduction to make it look so.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-17, 06:35 AM
See, I've always hated Superman. Completely, utterly, loathed him. He's not a hero, he's a tank, and about as good for the city as using a tank as a squad car.

Ryuuk
2008-04-17, 07:37 AM
Would you be able to manifest it again on the second round though? The effect ends at the end of your second turn, and since you are immune to all effect because of Timeless Body, would you be immune to a second Timelss Body during its duration?

FMArthur
2008-04-17, 02:57 PM
Good catch.

Your body ignores all harmful (and helpful) effects

I think Timeless Body itself qualifies as an effect. That is a relatively clear descriptor without any obvious workarounds (unless of course there is a separate, in-game definition of 'effect', like so many other things; I can admit I haven't read every D&D book cover-to-cover).

senrath
2008-04-17, 03:25 PM
Would you be able to manifest it again on the second round though?

No, but couldn't you ready an action to manifest it again as soon as the first manifestation ended?

Jasdoif
2008-04-17, 03:29 PM
I think Timeless Body itself qualifies as an effect. That is a relatively clear descriptor without any obvious workarounds (unless of course there is a separate, in-game definition of 'effect', like so many other things; I can admit I haven't read every D&D book cover-to-cover).There's a logical problem with this though. If you ignore Timeless Body's effect while under the effect of Timeless Body...then Timeless Body is useless, because it negates its own effect.

And if it doesn't remove the effect itself, you could easily manifest Timeless Body again, though its effect wouldn't take place unless the first one expired.