PDA

View Full Version : What's Kobuto's alignment?

paladinofshojo
2008-04-15, 10:46 PM
My money is on Neutral Evil, he acts for only his own self benefit. Unlike Lawful Evil, he is not bound to any code or loyalty to his master (which would also bring up the headache of figuring out how he can serve a Lawful Good paladin), also the fact that he is willing to stoop to murder to accumulate more power (which is clearly evil) but it isn't Chaotic since he prefers subtle assasinations rather then full out massacre like the little bastard :belkar:

Callista
2008-04-15, 11:12 PM
My money is on Neutral Evil, he acts for only his own self benefit. Unlike Lawful Evil, he is not bound to any code or loyalty to his master (which would also bring up the headache of figuring out how he can serve a Lawful Good paladin), also the fact that he is willing to stoop to murder to accumulate more power (which is clearly evil) but it isn't Chaotic since he prefers subtle assasinations rather then full out massacre like the little bastard :belkar:From what we know? Yeah, most likely. He's lawful enough to plan, chaotic enough to be underhanded and sneaky. I'd like to know more about the guy before I put him in an alignment box, though.

paladinofshojo
2008-04-15, 11:26 PM
From what we know? Yeah, most likely. He's lawful enough to plan, chaotic enough to be underhanded and sneaky. I'd like to know more about the guy before I put him in an alignment box, though.

If he was lawful he wouldn't betray his lord and liege now would he? Being lawful evil means total obedience to your master

kpenguin
2008-04-15, 11:30 PM
If he was lawful he wouldn't betray his lord and liege now would he? Being lawful evil means total obedience to your master

I think Nale would disagree.

the_tick_rules
2008-04-15, 11:40 PM
OOTS seems to get it's jollies off shattering alignment sterotypes, or overemphasizing them, it's hard to say

Laurentio
2008-04-15, 11:55 PM
No, Lawful Evil means total obedience to your own rules. If your gave for loyalty for real, you are bound to that. But if you faked it from the start, there is no concerning.

Anyway sorry, but you don't take the prize for the more worthless thread ever. It's just a third place, top.

Laurentio

Callista
2008-04-15, 11:58 PM
No, Lawful Evil means total obedience to your own rules. If your gave for loyalty for real, you are bound to that. But if you faked it from the start, there is no concerning.

Anyway sorry, but you don't take the prize for the more worthless thread ever. It's just a third place, top.

LaurentioLaw means a lot of things--mostly order, honor, that kind of thing. Technically, everybody follows his own rules. But a personal code of honor is more lawful than a general-principles sort of thing like, "Don't kill children and don't betray your friends," which a chaotic character might hold to.

Anyway, I don't think he's got enough strong tendencies either towards law or chaos, but we really don't know a lot about him yet.

Jade_Tarem
2008-04-16, 12:07 AM
By the logic of "you must be loyal to X person to be Lawful Evil" no king, no matter how despicable (or law-abiding) could be lawful evil. A master is not required for a lawful evil designator.

However, this does not necessarily mean that you are wrong. He could be neutral evil based on a reasonable (yours) interpretation of what he's done so far. I just don't think you're expressing your argument very well. If you want to prove neutrality, look for him bending or breaking the laws of his land/society rather than his obvious disloyalty and self-centeredness.

I think he fits Lawful Evil perfectly, though.

And also... isn't it Kubota?

bluish_wolf
2008-04-16, 12:18 AM
I think Nale would disagree.

Nale has a master?

factotum
2008-04-16, 12:19 AM
If you want to prove neutrality, look for him bending or breaking the laws of his land/society rather than his obvious disloyalty and self-centeredness.

Being Lawful doesn't mean you have to slavishly follow every law of the land, even the ones you disagree with--ESPECIALLY not if you're Lawful Evil, where you're likely to disagree with a lot of laws in a Lawful Good society like Azure City!

kpenguin
2008-04-16, 12:27 AM
Nale has a master?

He probably disobeyed or abandoned his warlord father if he's out adventuring rather than helping to lead armies on paths of destruction.

Prowl
2008-04-16, 02:19 AM
Lawful Evil characters tend to follow the rules up until and only until the opportunity presents itself to depose the leader and assume control for oneself.

Kabuto is following the LE script quite well; he's very traditional, adheres to the social norms quite closely, and given the opportunity, he attempted to have Hinjo assassinated so that he could be the leader of the Azurites.

David Argall
2008-04-16, 03:25 AM
Any lawful is loyal to a code of law, not to any particular leader. Such codes routinely value highly loyalty to whoever the leader is [who often wrote the code], but in the last analysis, the lawful leader only deserves loyalty as long as he obeys the code of law too.
Since any sufficiently complex code of laws is too complex for any mortal to completely understand or follow, the lawful always has an excuse to rebel when that is convenient. He will merely frame that rebellion in terms of the leader having failed in his duties.
Thus we have Kubota talking about Hinjo's "crimes" such as not paying sufficient respect to nobility as when he created a new House. So Kubota could easily be LE.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-16, 03:47 AM
Nale has a master?
Nale used to work for Xykon, yes.

Kobuto is obviously Chaotic Good, even though we haven't seen him in the strip yet. Kubota, on the other hand...

Underground
2008-04-16, 04:07 AM
Lawful means you value and follow rules.

Evil means you will hurt others for your own goals.

Unlike other evil alignments, a lawful evil person will justify his own evil actions, preferably even for the greater good.

Darth Vader is often given as a typical example for lawful evil. He is evil, but, for example, he serves actually as an underling to the commander of the Death Star in the first movie. He would commit about any possible evil act to reach his goals, and he puts drastic penalties (usually death) on underlings that failed, but he would still follow a certain codex, and he would follow the command given to him.

Querzis
2008-04-16, 06:13 AM
Technically, everybody follows his own rules.

...They do? Since when? The whole point of chaos is that you got no real rules. You just follow your whims which is why chaotic people are a lot more adaptable then lawfull people but are also kinda unstable.

I dont remember ever doing something because it was a rule or because of some personal code of honor. So if even chaotic people follow their own rule as you seems to think, what I'm I supposed to be?

Anyway, Kubota seems quite Lawfull to me. Especially since that strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0503.html

Jade_Tarem
2008-04-17, 02:07 AM
Being Lawful doesn't mean you have to slavishly follow every law of the land, even the ones you disagree with--ESPECIALLY not if you're Lawful Evil, where you're likely to disagree with a lot of laws in a Lawful Good society like Azure City!

I agree, and Kubota doesn't follow every law of the land. I never meant to imply that breaking a law meant that you had to be neutral. Kubota has tried three times (while we were watching, that is) to assassinate Hinjo - regicide is almost certainly a crime.

Nale, a declared LE character, is guilty of prison break, attempted kidnapping, attempted murder, serial murder, assault, theft, trespassing, impersonation, slander, harassment, stalking, unlawful search and seizure, conspiracy to commit murder, conspiracy to commit kidnapping, conspiracy to commit assault, conspiracy to commit manslaughter (which is paradoxical, when you think about it, but he's done it), conspiracy to commit grand larceny, the use of deadly weapons in the commission of a felony, conspiracy to torture someone, the murder of Law Enforcement officials, obstruction of justice, and those are just the US laws that I can think of off the top of my head!

Not such a comical villian now, is he? :smalltongue:
The irony is that the Order of the Stick doesn't fare much better.

Kubota (or any LE) is the kind of villian that, when ultimately beaten, will cry "No Fair! You cheated!" as the heroes put him in his place through some sneaky, underhanded, or just fiendishly clever tactic. Bonus points if he yells that while being beaten at his own game.

Gamerlord
2008-04-17, 07:22 AM
kabuots "lchaotic gnevil!"
a cookie to whoever can get the referance.