PDA

View Full Version : Can you use spell while you're polymorphed?

neochaos
2008-04-16, 12:12 AM
Well, I'm trying to beat my vile DM who tries to beat up us poor players with my new knowledge of Batman, but I don't have that good knowledge about the rules, so have many quite basic questions. Anyway, can I use spells while I'm polymorphed? will my buffs I casted "before" polymorph still on effect after polymorph? and will magic items work in the new form?

Help new wannabe Batman mastermind~

Dode
2008-04-16, 12:38 AM
1: If whatever you polymorph into has finger-like appendages to perform somatic components with and a tongue/vocal cords sufficient enough to form words for verbal components, then yes. Otherwise (like say if you polymorph into a gelatinus cube) no.

2: Yes, buffs do not dissipate if you shift forms.

3: Only if you're capable of wearing or wielding the magical item in your new form, otherwise it melds with your body and is effectively taken out of play.

Jasdoif
2008-04-16, 12:46 AM
Be advised that plans specifically made to "beat the DM" very rarely end well, and are thus strongly discouraged. That said....

Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) says it functions similarly to alter self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm) except as described. Since polymorph's text doesn't mention specific changes to your casting or other abilities, the text from alter self applies.

For spellcasting:
You retain any spellcasting ability you had in your original form, but the new form must be able to speak intelligibly (that is, speak a language) to use verbal components and must have limbs capable of fine manipulation to use somatic or material components.So you can still cast spells, subject to those limitations.

For magic items:
When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When you revert to your true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on your body they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items you wore in the assumed form and can’t wear in your normal form fall off and land at your feet; any that you could wear in either form or carry in a body part common to both forms at the time of reversion are still held in the same way.To summarize, any equipment you could wear in the new form remains worn, the rest melds into your form and is unusable.

As for buffs active on your person, they should continue to work. You are still the same creature, after all; the spells don't stop working just because you have a new form.

The Necroswanso
2008-04-16, 12:46 AM
Like the good sir/madam above me said, only if the new form has the capability to meet the requirements to cast the spell. IE a silented spell can be cast if the form has fingers. Alternatively if it has no fingers but can speak common naturally, it can cast a stilled spell.
If you are a druid, you have most likely taken natural spell... Then again, if you're a druid you can wild shape out of being polymorphed.

neochaos
2008-04-16, 01:02 AM
Oh, by the way, does the "feats" such as Improved Initiative still aplied in the new form?

Kizara
2008-04-16, 01:36 AM
Oh, by the way, does the "feats" such as Improved Initiative still aplied in the new form?

Yes, if applicable.

neochaos
2008-04-16, 06:54 PM
One more question. Do I have polymorphed monster's feats during polymorph?

Dr Bwaa
2008-04-16, 07:29 PM

To my knowledge, no. Polymorph is broken, but not that broken. You do not gain any new feats from being polymorphed (though you do gain natural attacks and so on, if applicable).

AslanCross
2008-04-16, 08:23 PM

You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal. (Emphasis mine)

Polymorph says it functions like alter self plus plus. Alter self says you gain the racial bonus feats of the creature. If you polymorph into a troglodyte, for example, you gain Multiattack as a racial bonus feat only for the duration of the polymorph. Otherwise, no, you do not gain the feats listed in the creature's Monster Manual entry. You keep your own feats, though.

Keep in mind that abusing polymorph will quickly lead to it getting banned. I banned it in my games quickly after hearing the party Wizard's plans to polymorph into a hydra, among other things.