PDA

View Full Version : A couple Eldritch Theurge questions

LoneGamer
2008-04-16, 12:54 AM
Hi all,

I'm building an Eldritch Theurge right now, a couple questions that don't appear to have come up in a quick search of Eldritch Theurge threads:

1) Some Invocations in Complete Arcane talk about class level, not invoker level. Is this an oversight? Should my invocations with level-dependent variables be based wholly on warlock level or total invoker level?

2) Practiced Spellcaster (Warlock) - Is this valid to increase invoking level to compensate for the necessary sorcerer dip?

Thanks!

Chronos
2008-04-16, 01:00 AM
Warlocks have a caster level, just like any other arcane character. I would imagine that any invocation which refers to class level is supposed to refer to caster level.

And Practiced Spellcaster would work for Warlock, though I'm not sure it'd be worth spending a feat on. Most invocations don't depend too strongly on caster level. If anything, I'd recommend taking Practiced Spellcaster for Sorcerer, instead.

Jasdoif
2008-04-16, 01:08 AM
And Practiced Spellcaster would work for Warlock, though I'm not sure it'd be worth spending a feat on. Most invocations don't depend too strongly on caster level. If anything, I'd recommend taking Practiced Spellcaster for Sorcerer, instead.Actually, you can't take Practiced Spellcaster for Warlock. Practiced Spellcaster requires you to pick a spellcasting class to apply its benefits to, and Warlock isn't a spellcasting class.

The FAQ agrees too:
What effect would the Practiced Spellcaster feat (Complete Arcane, page 82) have on a warlock?

A strict reading of the feat’s benefit indicates that the warlock would gain no benefit from Practiced Spellcaster. The warlock is not a spellcasting class for normal purposes—the exception noted on page 18 of Complete Arcane applies only to prestige class benefits—and thus it could not be selected as the class to be affected by this feat.

LoneGamer
2008-04-16, 01:23 AM
Looks like I have a new feat slot open, then. I suppose I should work towards Precise Shot.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-16, 03:25 AM
2) Practiced Spellcaster (Warlock) - Is this valid to increase invoking level to compensate for the necessary sorcerer dip?

Technically, no - but I suppose I would let you add +4 to your warlock level (up to total level max) for the purpose of determining Eldritch Blast damage. I don't really think that'd be worth a feat, though.

Interestingly, I believe that taking Precocious Apprentice on the Warlock class is technically legal, even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You do, after all, have an arcane caster level, as well as charisma as a casting stat. If it were, it'd let you enter Eldritch Theurge earlier.

LoneGamer
2008-04-16, 09:50 AM
Uh, Precocious Apprentice lets you cast a 2nd-level spell earlier than you otherwise could. Warlocks don't cast 2nd-level spells. If I were to take Precocious Apprentice it would be for Sorcerer for earlier access to Eldritch Theurge.

I need more feat slots, wish the DM was allowing flaws. Sigh. I guess I need to prioritize.