PDA

View Full Version : character flaws

perpetualnoise
2008-04-16, 05:48 AM
what book(s) are the character flaws and such in? thx

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-16, 05:51 AM
Unearthed Arcana, or the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org).

riddles
2008-04-16, 07:34 AM
check with your DM whether you can use them first as they are a tad unbalanced

Person_Man
2008-04-16, 08:52 AM
There are also a bunch in various issues of Dragon Mag. I've seen them floating around the internet (illegally) before.

As Riddles mentioned, they tend to throw off character creation balance. So check with your DM.

Epinephrine
2008-04-16, 08:59 AM
Definitely a DM approval thing, but I find that many are very fair - taking a -3 on Fort saves for example is pretty harsh. The issue is that people take flaws that don't affect them, which a DM shouldn't allow as a flaw.

Example: The druid I am playing took No Time for Book Learning, for example, so he can't read, can't use maps, can't use scrolls, can't scribe scrolls for the archivist (yup, DM liked that aspect of it), and takes a -2 penalty on his knowledge skills other than Nature (affecting 3 skills, since he is actually invested in Geography, Dungeoneering, and Religion). It's clearly a flaw, limiting him (and, indirectly, the party archivist too) in many ways. If a fighter wanted to take it I suspect the DM would not count it as a flaw, it's just not enough of a penalty.