PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions?

Szilard
2008-04-16, 06:09 PM
Does your world have superstitions? You can post Ideas here if you do or are thinking about it.

Some of my ideas:
Lucky coppers, finding a cp heads up is lucky (Maybe providing a +1 luck bonus to some rolls?).

StoryKeeper
2008-04-16, 07:09 PM
Some people in our world consider foxes of black or white color to be a sign of good luck.

Falconer
2008-04-16, 07:51 PM
Personally, i'd try and adapt real world superstitions to the setting:

There's a Native American superstition that seeing a white wolf was very good luck (similar to what the other guy said). It was supposed to be a good spirit that was watching over you. Perhaps while they're in the spirit's "territory", they have some kind of bonus?

Also, it's said that if a candle suddenly turns blue, a dead spirit is nearby. Ghost hunting! :smallbiggrin:

An eagle egg eaten by two people is a protection against witchcraft. Perhaps some temporary defense against arcane magic?

Axelgear
2008-04-16, 08:31 PM
I like this concept a lot...

Prometheus
2008-04-16, 09:05 PM
I think it would be fun to have a player class from it. Initially, they are bound by all superstitions, true or false, but as they progress, they get benefits.
Example 1st level Whatever sees a comet, freaks out and panicks
20th level Whatever sees a comet, freaks out, and tells the party when, where, and how the bad omen will manifest itself. Party prepares.

"Superstitions" in the sense of practices ordinarily seen as barbaric could also be incorporated, such as gutting open animals as a means of augury, or sacrificing people to grant powers.

Szilard
2008-04-16, 09:13 PM
Or a feat that could be taken a few times, adding Knowledge(Superstition) might help.
I see this more as some trivial fluff, which would add to roleplaying.

SilentNight
2008-04-16, 09:59 PM
In real life I occaisionally believe in the chaos theory which leans over into D&D it the two coincide. If I could find some way to stat it out I would totally include it in my games.

Mewtarthio
2008-04-16, 11:17 PM
In real life I occaisionally believe in the chaos theory which leans over into D&D it the two coincide. If I could find some way to stat it out I would totally include it in my games.

Chaos Theory? You mean like from Jurassic Park? That Chaos Theory?

RTGoodman
2008-04-16, 11:56 PM
Or a feat that could be taken a few times, adding Knowledge(Superstition) might help.
I see this more as some trivial fluff, which would add to roleplaying.

Yeah, I don't really know about a whole class on it, but there are definitely some cool skill applications you could come up with. Personally, I'd use Knowledge (Local), since I think superstition is one of the things it's supposed to be about anyway.

Also, one of the Asian casting classes (either Shugenja, Wu Jen, or something like that) has a "taboo" system relating to it - I believe there's a list somewhere with the class of a lot of these, and most of them have to do with superstitions and stuff like that. It might be something to check out.

StoryKeeper
2008-04-17, 03:03 PM
Ya, you're thinking of the Wu Jen.

Atticus Bleak
2008-04-17, 05:41 PM
One Feat my characters are never without if from ravenloft, it allows you to make a local superstition handsign, like crossing yourself or showing an open palm, you can make one type of creature (undead, shapechanger, few, animals, magical beasts, etc...) make a save or be scared of you. I always take it for undead and fey...

Edit: I looked it up, its in VanRichten's Arsenal. The VanRichten books from Ravenloft have some neat superstition stuff, you should try to get ahold of them if you can.
Also, I always have my characters have a foxglove flower in his front pocket, and carry other superstition things, like wolfsbane, all of my swords have crosses (or other holy symbol) engraved in them...And so on.

SilentNight
2008-04-17, 06:03 PM
Chaos Theory? You mean like from Jurassic Park? That Chaos Theory?

Whichever one says that if you scratch your face then it causes a hurricane on the other side of the world or affects your life in some way.

mikeejimbo
2008-04-17, 07:11 PM
Whichever one says that if you scratch your face then it causes a hurricane on the other side of the world or affects your life in some way.

I thought only butterflies could do that.

hobbitguy1420
2008-04-17, 07:28 PM
Nah, they just get it as a bonus feat.

SilentNight
2008-04-17, 10:40 PM
I thought only butterflies could do that.

I thought the theory, whatever it is called, says that every little thing affects everything else. That's why I had it confused with the string theory for a while.

Xuincherguixe
2008-04-17, 11:04 PM
Mine will likely have a bundle of these. Though it should be pointed out that they're part of the way the world actually works.

In order for the medicine of one system to work, the plants have to be asked to heal the sick person. The magic weapons it produces also if not treated with respect won't give their bonuses to you. Entrances to the Spirit world can be found in strange forests, or inside an active volcano. It's going to be a weird setting (at least it better be ^_^)

RTGoodman
2008-04-17, 11:06 PM
I thought the theory, whatever it is called, says that every little thing affects everything else. That's why I had it confused with the string theory for a while.

There's one big difference - Jeff Goldblum understands Chaos Theory (or, at least, his character did in Jurassic Park), while no one understands String Theory (even string theorists). :smallbiggrin:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/string_theory.png

TheGrimace
2008-04-17, 11:38 PM
Wow, that comic made my day!
(ugh, I just lost!)

"statting up" any superstition seems like a bad idea to me. More, it should be written as a list of guidelines. Especially, since most of the time, seeing a silver breasted gold winged honey robin is purely at the behest of the DM, and not based on PC's effort, providing some concrete bonus for it is something that I would avoid.

However, each person has their own idea of flavor, I prefer my games slightly more vanilla. (maybe with sprinkles)