PDA

View Full Version : Open Game Content?

Qanael
2008-04-16, 06:47 PM
As a personal project, I'm starting work on an open-source character generator/editor, aimed at maximum customizability using XML. The general idea is you can create whatever class/feature/feat/spell, etc. and have the program calculate its effects on the character/creature.

Now, I have a few questions.

- Is there any source for open game content besides the SRD? Is there a way of telling if any of the content in my books is OGC? The reason for this question is, I will include a basic "pack" of XML data with the program, and I don't want any trouble with copyrights and such.

- Has this been done before? Am I just repeating work that has been already done? (note, this is not a normal character generator)

- Is this a good idea at all? :smallyuk:

Also, I don't know if this is the right forum for this thread, but it sounds like it would be.

RTGoodman
2008-04-16, 07:45 PM
Is there a way of telling if any of the content in my books is OGC?

I don't know about the other question, but I'm pretty sure that all content intended as OGC has to be labeled as such. The only stuff outside Core and Psionics and the rest of the stuff in the SRD that I can think of are two monsters in (I think) Monster Manual II - the Razorboar and Scorpionfolk. They're listed in the back in a section that explicitly states they're released as OGL content.