PDA

View Full Version : Is there something wrong with the [code] tags?

Renegade Paladin
2008-04-16, 07:08 PM
Okay, I don't know anything about this problem firsthand, because my monitor runs on a high enough resolution that I don't notice it, but apparently the code tags in the first post of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29422) are breaking the post format by stretching it sideways and forcing side-scrolling. I have it put in spoilers now, but even when I broke all the text lines inside so that it wouldn't do that, the box still stayed large enough to break the format. There's obviously something wrong, though I'm at a loss to explain what, especially since code tags get their own scroll bar when something in them is long. You would think that this by itself would prevent whole-thread side scrolling, but as this screenshot (http://www.smeenet.org/clipboard02.png) shows, it doesn't. :smallconfused:

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-04-16, 07:38 PM
The box for the [code] tags has a preset width - just over 650 pixels, as far as I can tell - regardless of what's in it. If the contents would make it larger than that, it adds in scrollbars. However, with the format of the rest of the pages on the forum, the 650 pixels are going to cause horizontal scroll on a 1024w resolution.

You're probably better off making a table in this case...

{table=head]Month|
Name|
Common Name

1|Hammer|Deepwinter
{colsp=3}Midwinter
2|Alturiak|The Claw of Winter
3|Ches|The Claw of the Sunsets
4|Tarsakh|The Claw of the Storms
{colsp=3}Greengrass
5|Mirtul|The Melting
6|Kythorn|The Time of Flowers
7|Flamerule|Summertide
{colsp=3}Midsummer
8|Elesias|Highsun
9|Eleint|The Fading
{colsp=3}Highharvestide
10|Marpenoth|Leaffall
11|Uktar|The Rotting
{colsp=3}The Feast of the Moon
12|Nightal|The Drawing Down[/table]

Code for this in spoiler, using tags.
[noparse]{table=head]Month|
Name|
Common Name

1|Hammer|Deepwinter
{colsp=3}Midwinter
2|Alturiak|The Claw of Winter
3|Ches|The Claw of the Sunsets
4|Tarsakh|The Claw of the Storms
{colsp=3}Greengrass
5|Mirtul|The Melting
6|Kythorn|The Time of Flowers
7|Flamerule|Summertide
{colsp=3}Midsummer
8|Elesias|Highsun
9|Eleint|The Fading
{colsp=3}Highharvestide
10|Marpenoth|Leaffall
11|Uktar|The Rotting
{colsp=3}The Feast of the Moon
12|Nightal|The Drawing Down[/table]

Szilard
2008-04-16, 07:38 PM
The code has to be manually formated as there is no Automatic thingie that makes the text go to the next line.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-17, 08:48 AM
I, for one, would appreciate it if the code-box's min-width was set to, say, no bigger than the maximum width of un-spoilered images. Being as I only have a teensy-eensy 1,024 pixel wide monitor, I'm always getting the Horizontal Scroll Bar of Doom™ whenever someone uses it as it is, but the maximum picture width is just fine—and it would ad a certain courteous consistency for those of us without giant monitors.