PDA

View Full Version : Levitate

banzai
2008-04-16, 09:07 PM
So lets examine levitate for a few minutes.

Situation:

You (a lvl 12 shaman) are standing at the edge of a steep cliff with a fighter friend. You have a golden statue you want to get to the bottom of the cliff safely. The weight of the statue is 1000 lbs so you can easily levitate the object up and down. After you lift the statue 2 ft off the ground, can your strong fighter friend push the statue off the cliff? This would enable you to levitate the statue safely down the cliff.

-Banzai

SurlySeraph
2008-04-16, 09:31 PM
Sure. Levitate's description doesn't say that the levitated object can't be moved vertically horizontally.

Suropej
2008-04-16, 09:44 PM
The Levitate spell says that things can be moved horizontally while under the effect of the spell, but not by the spell itself. It needs some "outside" force working on it, such as a character pulling themself or someone pushing the spell's target.

banzai
2008-04-16, 09:46 PM
Would the weight of the object be a factor of how easily the levitated object can be pushed? Also would the pushed object have any type of physical resistance? For example would a simple push cause the object to slide horizontally 15 feet or would that take a stronger effort?

Suropej
2008-04-16, 09:49 PM
I'd have to say that's the DM's decision. Personally, I would say Levitate does not negate the weight, but the fact that the object isn't on the ground means there is no friction and makes moving it a bit easier.

RTGoodman
2008-04-16, 09:55 PM
Would the weight of the object be a factor of how easily the levitated object can be pushed? Also would the pushed object have any type of physical resistance? For example would a simple push cause the object to slide horizontally 15 feet or would that take a stronger effort?

I'd rule it'd be like pushing or dragging the weight, but with a considerable bonus, as detailed here (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/carryingAndExploration.html).

A character can generally push or drag along the ground as much as five times his or her maximum load. Favorable conditions can double these numbers, and bad circumstances can reduce them to one-half or less.

Maybe rule that his Str score is treated as 5-10 higher, or even doubled, when determining if he can push the statue while it's levitating. I mean, you'd only need a 15 Str to push or drag it as normal, so giving the bonus would even give a 10 Str Wizard a chance to push it.

Chronos
2008-04-16, 09:55 PM
From the standpoint of real-world physics, it would have almost no friction, and therefore could be moved by almost any force at all. The only advantage that a big, burly fighter would have over a weakling halfling would be that he could get it up to speed quicker.

From the standpoint of the rules, a character can push around something around weighing up to ten times his maximum load, if the conditions are favorable (slick surface, etc.). Being completely off the ground surely counts as favorable conditions, at least, so anyone with a maximum load of 100 pounds or greater (10 Str or greater) should surely be able to push your golden statue in the OP.

esorscher
2008-04-17, 04:35 PM
I have a question about levitate also.

If I have boots of Levitation, can I activate them in mid-air?

If so, can I start running, take a long jump, activate the boots, and then continue to glide through the air until I hit a wall or deactivate the boots? Or would I just stop in mid-air?

And, do the boots work if I fall asleep?

Deth Muncher
2008-04-17, 04:58 PM
I have a question about levitate also.

If so, can I start running, take a long jump, activate the boots, and then continue to glide through the air until I hit a wall or deactivate the boots? Or would I just stop in mid-air?

And, do the boots work if I fall asleep?

That would be terrible if you had to make a UMD check to activate them and it failed.

>>You run to the edge of a cliff and long-jump, clicking your Levitation Boots as you go. They do not activate. You plummet to your death. Good day.<<

Kurald Galain
2008-04-17, 05:06 PM
Nothing says you can't. However, falling speed says you probably won't get an action before you hit the ground. Myself, I'd let you make an easy Dex check for that (also, you might end up upside-down, but that's only a problem if your shoelaces are untied).

If so, can I start running, take a long jump, activate the boots, and then continue to glide through the air until I hit a wall or deactivate the boots?
No, because (by the rules) if you jump, you don't get any other actions until you land. Personally, I think you should drift to a halt in mid-air, for the same reason that it's difficult to throw a sheet of paper any reasonable distance.

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-17, 05:18 PM
I believe that if you jump to the midpoint of a chasm, then the falling rules take over. As long as the drop is long enough, you do get more rounds before you hit.