PDA

View Full Version : [monsters]Dire Frostfell Animals

dman11235
2008-04-16, 09:56 PM
I mean, come on, who doesn't want one? They're so cuddly and soft, and bite your enemies faces off!

Dire Penguin
Medium animal
HD: 4 HD (30 HP)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares); 60 ft swim
Init: -1
AC 14 (10, +5 natural, -1 dex); touch 9; flat-footed 14
BAB/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Bite +7 (1d4+3, 20x2)
Full-Attack: Bite +7 (1d4+3, 20x2)
Space/reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Hold Breath, Lowlight Vision
Saves: Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +4
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 9, Con 16, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +4, Swim +11
Feats: Endurance, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Cold aquatic
Organization: Flock (2-3, plus 11-30 penguins)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: -
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3-4 HD medium, 5-8 HD large
Level Adjustment: -
Dire Penguins are flightless birds native to the icy regions of the frostfell's coasts.

Combat
Dire Penguins use their bite to inflict massive damage to opponents, and typically run if of land.
Hold Breath: A dire penguin may hold its breath for a number of round equal to 6x its constitution modifier before it risks drowning.

Skills: A dire penguin has a +8 racial bonus on swim checks to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always take 10 on a swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It may perform a run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Dire Walrus
Huge Animal
Hit Dice: 12d8+96 (150 HP)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 10 ft (2 squares), swim 40 ft
Armor Class: 18 (-2 size, +1 dex, +9 natural), touch 9, flat footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+26
Attack: bite +16 (2d8+13)
Full Attack: bite +16 (2d8+13)
Space/Reach: 15 ft/10 ft
Special Attacks: Powerful Charge
Special Qualities: Hold Breath, Low-light Vision
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +9
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 13, Con 24, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +10, spot +11, swim +17
Feats: Awesome Blow, Endurance (b), Improved Bull Rush, Improved Natural (bite), Improved Toughness, Power Attack
Organization: solitary, pair, or herd (1-2 dire walruses and 3-8 walruses (Frostburn))
Challenge Rating: 8
Advancement: 13-18 HD (huge), 19-24 HD (gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: -

Dire walruses live in the cold arctic regions.

Combat
A dire walrus typically uses it large mass to slam into a foe while charging before biting.

Hold Breath (EX): A dire walrus may hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 6x its con score before it risks drowning.

Powerful Charge (EX): When a dire walrus charges, it deals 4d8+27 points of bludgeoning damage. This is not with its bite, but using its whole body. Its bite deals normal damage on a charge.

Skills: A dire walrus has a +8 racial bonus on any swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always take 10 on swim checks, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Raroy
2008-04-16, 11:19 PM
All you need is a Dire Penguin wielding a hammer named King D as an animal familiar and you can just enjoy life. It's the simple things that matter.

dman11235
2008-04-16, 11:22 PM
No! Bad Raroy! The Dire Penguin is not a toy! It is a cuddly animal that can be your fierce guard-....dog.

Bhu
2008-04-17, 12:44 AM
The walrus might be in my monster thread over at wizards Dman. I know you had some Dire somethings in there.

Icewalker
2008-04-17, 01:13 AM
I'm with Raroy on this one. Just get it a Maul and you're set...throw in a Royal Outfit from the Goods and Services section. Excellent...

dman11235
2008-04-17, 09:01 AM
You may be right Bhu, I shall check.

watsyurname529
2008-04-17, 03:22 PM
I would up the Nat. Armor of the Dire Penguin just a bit, around 2-3 more, especially to compensate for it's negetive Dex.

dman11235
2008-04-17, 03:51 PM
It's an animal, it'll have low AC. Also, it's only CR 1, so yeah. I was thinking I might up the CR by one (currently it is the only dire animal with less than CR 2), so I might do that then. And up the str to what it was originally.

EDIT: I upped its power considerably. I'm no expert on monsters though, and based it off of various other animals, but it seems a little too powerful to me.

watsyurname529
2008-04-17, 07:46 PM
Well for some comparison, there is only one Dire animal (in the MMI) that has an AC of 14 or less, and that is the Dire Wolf.

The Dire Shark has +7 Nat. Armor and it's an aquatic animal.

Both the Dire Badger and Dire Weasel have a 14 strength and both have a bite of 1d6 damage.

You probably could up the damage to 1d6 and still be fine, although probably on the weak side of CR 2 according to the other Dire animals seeing as the Dire Badger has Rage and the Dire Weasel has Attach and Blood Drain.

I would give the Penguin a specail type of sliding charge in which they run and jump and slide on the ice/snow on their belly.

Sliding Charge (Ex): The Dire Penguin waddles forward and lunges and starts to slide toward you as fast as it can. This is a Full-Round action in which the Dire Penguin can move up to 3x it's speed and deals twice it's strength damage at the end of the charge.

Something to that effect.

dman11235
2008-04-17, 07:59 PM
How bout no. This one will be a serious version, but if you want a non-serious version go ahead.

You obviously posted that before I edited the penguin, so what about now?

watsyurname529
2008-04-17, 09:32 PM
Well for some comparison, there is only one Dire animal (in the MMI) that has an AC of 14 or less, and that is the Dire Wolf.

The Dire Shark has +7 Nat. Armor and it's an aquatic animal.

Both the Dire Badger and Dire Weasel have a 14 strength and both have a bite of 1d6 damage.

You probably could up the damage to 1d6 and still be fine, although probably on the weak side of CR 2 according to the other Dire animals seeing as the Dire Badger has Rage and the Dire Weasel has Attach and Blood Drain.

Same comments as before. I was trying to show you your penguin is not overpowered at all. If anything leaning toward underpowered for a CR 2.

dman11235
2008-04-17, 09:38 PM
Alright. I've never been the monster expert.

What if I added two more HD? Don't know what the feat would be though.

Debihuman
2008-04-17, 10:01 PM
HA! They should be named Tennessee Tuxedo and Chumley :smallbiggrin:

Debby