PDA

View Full Version : Thread Friendships

BillsBioBlog
2008-04-16, 10:02 PM
Check this out fellas... I'm gonna lay a terrible, and epic truth upon you all...

This wasn't my first forum

EGADS BBB HOW DARE YOU?!?!!

Anyway, what I've noticed on the other forums I've been on is that the forummers were really close knit and there'd be cliques and groups here and there... but on the GitP forums everybody accepts everyone and it's just one big family... which is AWESOME :D!! The only problem is you all kind of mesh into one big happy user.

Maybe it's just cause I'm new... But do you guys notice that?

Zakama
2008-04-16, 10:08 PM
Well, we do have groups of people who know each other better, but they're not exclusive cliques, that's the key. So the end result is indeed one big happy family. :smallbiggrin:

Cobra_Ikari
2008-04-16, 10:13 PM
...we're just that awesome. :smallwink:

...though I think I know a few people here from a forum I was on before I came here...hmm.

Brickwall
2008-04-16, 11:16 PM
There are those who would like to disagree with your assessment. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76219)

Please don't post there. It'd be tantamount to thread necromancy.

Yes, I like to think we're one big, happy (*coughdysfunctionalcough*) family.

As you spend more time here, you'll notice distinction in personalities between users. But, yes, we are a community, more than anything else. We kick ass.

Rogue 7
2008-04-16, 11:27 PM
I know I've seen a group develop at the boards I hang out in, particularly around the anime threads. I've seen it on other forums as well. 'Tis just the natural consequence of people talking about a wide range of subjects- those with similar interests will congregate.

Icewalker
2008-04-16, 11:53 PM
The main thing I've noticed is that most other internet places are pretty horrific other than here, which is awesome nice ubertastic.

Haruki-kun
2008-04-17, 12:13 AM
I like that in fact we all seem to get along fairly well, if not peacefully, at least, but we DO have several groups that happen to be closer than others, for example, the SMBG'ers, the Townies, the AMENites, the HALOers, the Avatarists......

Still, we do tend to blend a lot more than other forums I've visited. :smallsmile:

I <3 GITP for that.

Serpentine
2008-04-17, 12:26 AM
Oh, totally. Totally totally.
>waves at Brickwall in a totally unironic manner< :smallamused:

Cobra_Ikari
2008-04-17, 12:34 AM
I think the closest group I know is the Chatters. But that might be also because most of them are active posters with quite a bit of time here.

Zakama
2008-04-17, 12:41 AM
I think the closest group I know is the Chatters. But that might be also because most of them are active posters with quite a bit of time here.

You mean the RB guys? Or the AIM/MSN guys? Cause if so I still wanna get in on that... >_>

skywalker
2008-04-17, 12:50 AM
There are those who would like to disagree with your assessment. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76219)

Please don't post there. It'd be tantamount to thread necromancy.

Yes, I like to think we're one big, happy (*coughdysfunctionalcough*) family.

As you spend more time here, you'll notice distinction in personalities between users. But, yes, we are a community, more than anything else. We kick ass.

The thread was started less than a month ago. Would that really count?

I agree, we are pretty nice people, oh, and cobra, you definitely aren't exposed to as much of it because:
A) You don't leave friendly banter.
AND
B)You naturally jump into the slightly silly nature of this side of the boards(you *snuggle* EVERYBODY! Not that that's a bad thing...)

Sensate
2008-04-17, 01:07 AM
I must admit I've noticed the same thing - this whole place is loaded with great members, and the only distinction made between them is in their favorite sub-forum. More often than not I come across topics where rather quality discussion is taking place, so it confuses me what the OP of that elitism thread someone posted a link to got in his/her head.

Frankly, it feels good to be in a place that acts like one huge family; I've been posting in too many closely knit forums over the years and those types aren't very productive of quality threads in my humble opinion. Taking part in sensible, creative threads where the majority of users possess some intelligence and use proper spelling is quite enjoyable, I dare say.

Brickwall
2008-04-17, 01:21 AM
You mean the RB guys? Or the AIM/MSN guys? Cause if so I still wanna get in on that... >_>

There's an AIM chatroom that is fairly exclusive. Well, it was made so. Partially because of me, I like to think. You have to be invited, that much I know. Nobody's told me anything else.

I never bring it up, I'm not allowed. But if one of them (Cobraaaaa...) mentions it, I'm free to call them on it.

Yes, there's a clique here. You can try asking for an invitation. I have no idea how it will go over. I've never tried, haven't got a kindling to, and haven't heard any stories about that sorta thing. Still, it mostly consists of those forumers who've made names for themselves either on the forums, or in the chatroom before it became exclusive. I'm not sure just anyone can get in.

Serpentine
2008-04-17, 01:26 AM
Or you could, you know, put your AIM name in your profile, grab the AIM name of someone you're interested in talking to from their profile, add them in your AIM program, ask them in AIM whether there's a chat going on or if they'd like to start one, and accept that if you act like a jerk noone's gonna want to talk to you. Or you could lament how exclusive and elitist it is. Either way, 'sallgood.

Brickwall
2008-04-17, 01:40 AM
Or you could, you know, put your AIM name in your profile, grab the AIM name of someone you're interested in talking to from their profile, add them in your AIM program, ask them in AIM whether there's a chat going on or if they'd like to start one, and accept that if you act like a jerk noone's gonna want to talk to you. Or you could lament how exclusive and elitist it is. Either way, 'sallgood.

Passive-agressiveness is impolite, especially when it's misdirected.

I'm not in it because I know you guys hate me personally. Thus my bringing up of "I like to think I helped this along". If I wanted in, I'd ask. Like I said, I never try. I can draw the opinions of the attitude purely from the fact that y'all try to keep it a secret (and fail utterly).

But I do encourage everyone to get instant messaging. Makes everyone's life easier. Not as personal as a phone call, but just as efficient. I know I get pissed when I need to have a lengthy chat with someone and I can't.

Serpentine
2008-04-17, 01:45 AM
No passive-aggression. Or rather, only partly. I just wanted to point out that people don't have to go around aimlessly (badum-tch) asking, "what is this thing? How do I get in? How does one join this spiffing club?" - the means of getting into it is right on people's profiles.

For anyone who's interested, the current room name is gitp. If you're a jerk or otherwise unpleasant or disruptive, you run the risk of being ignored or having the room moved on you.

thubby
2008-04-17, 02:26 AM
it's somewhat obnoxious at times.

its hard to get a good perspective on things because we all think so alike.
one of the few, perhaps only, reasons i appreciate brickwall's existance.

SDF
2008-04-17, 03:45 AM
No passive-aggression. Or rather, only partly. I just wanted to point out that people don't have to go around aimlessly (badum-tch) asking, "what is this thing? How do I get in? How does one join this spiffing club?" - the means of getting into it is right on people's profiles.

For anyone who's interested, the current room name is gitp. If you're a jerk or otherwise unpleasant or disruptive, you run the risk of being ignored or having the room moved on you.

Serp, no!!! What about the first two rules of ootschat? :P

Definitely not elitist (unless I am self decieving :smalltongue: ) but I've gotten to know a few of the forum members a lot better than I would have with it. I think what we have with the forum is special, but not necessarily unique. There are other nice forums out there, and indeed the online communities as a result of globalization and loss of IRL community support this. What we have is a really strong online community that get together at meetings with and without common interests. (i.e. lots of enjoy the comics and/or are DnD players, but there are a number of us that don't and we go to meetings because we like each other.) There are people here I consider my friends, and know a fair amount about, who I'd love to meet someday IRL. So it is, IMHO, a combination of a good attitude and atmosphere that emanates the forum, and the chance of having a lot of genuinely awesome people come here.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2008-04-17, 05:46 AM
*Hides a black ring with two circles, a cross and a snake*
Expecting white text are we ?
Yeah, I like how their is no secret clubs or elite groups at all. :smallsmile:

Always makes my day a bit better visiting this forum, difficult to find a cheerier bunch of people, even if we have some disillusioned people thinking English Cricket is a sport not a a joke *rolls eyes*

:smallwink: But all forums have their nuts.

Dragonrider
2008-04-17, 12:13 PM
I agree that this is definitely the nicest place you'll ever find on the 'net. :smallwink: sure, we have our Brickies, but what's life without a wall or two in the way?

SpiderMew
2008-04-17, 12:30 PM
Yes this is indeed one of the friendler places on the interwebs. Still there are subgroups and clubs.

I honestly feal weird posting outside of SMBG sometimes because i sorta fit in there. But in all honesty, I dont really feal like i totaly fit in anyplace on here.
Well not compleatly. Atleast here im tolerated more then some of the other places ive visited.(and the whole "Do not talk about religion or politics" rule helps with that)

Mauve Shirt
2008-04-17, 01:02 PM
I love you all! This is my second internet forum, and it is far friendlier than the other! :smallbiggrin:
*goes around and hugs each and every forumite*
Except SpiderMew. *kicks in the shins*
Aw, even SpiderMew. *hugs*

Trog
2008-04-17, 02:04 PM
But all forums have their nuts.
*Wanders in at that very moment to an uncomfortable silence that he takes absolutely no notice of. Sits at the kid's table and looks around a bit.*
@ Death: No one expects the Spanish White Text Inquisition!
Coffin Nail™ Cigarette? *offers*

BRC
2008-04-17, 02:13 PM
The only problem is you all kind of mesh into one big happy user.

Join Us, Resistance is Futile, Prepare to be Assimilated.
That said, did a newbie just create a thread to announce their presence? you know what THAT MEANS.
*gets out the organ-harvesting gear*
DIBS ON THE LUNGS!

Jibar
2008-04-17, 02:20 PM
It's odd.
I've been here a long time, but I'm not really part of any clique or group or anything.
About the only group I can say I was part of was the old Random Banterers, though we're such a tiny, tiny group it doesn't count for much.
I'm not even well known here, apart from some of my rather vocal opinions in the Gaming (Other).
It's probably because of this that I sort of flick in. It's one big community and I can move about it like a wisp on fire. It's rather nice really.

Ceska
2008-04-17, 02:25 PM
I'm not in it because I know you guys hate me personally.
Tell me one person in the chat who does.

I think there are some kind of cliques within this forum also. More so than in others I know, even. But that happens in big communities with large subforums.

Skippy
2008-04-17, 02:33 PM
Resistance is Futile

Only when < 1 Ohm. *Nods*

>.>
<.<

*Runs away*

Nerd-o-rama
2008-04-17, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't say we have cliques, really. There are certainly common interest groups - avatarists, Townies, and chronic homebrewers are some of the more obvious ones because they're oriented around individual subforums. There's also the pack of seinen anime-fan friends I've made, mostly just through stealing one of Gorby's banners and posting in the right threads; then there's the vs.-thread addicts, fans (or abusers) of particular webcomics, etc. But in general it's just a question of common-interest crowds rather than exclusive, cliquish, club-like activity.

The Rose Dragon
2008-04-17, 02:44 PM
But all forums have their nuts.

OK, as a man who loves nuts, I do feel I should have been informed of this earlier.

How do they taste, anyway?

Me, I'm no part of the family you're talking about. I'm just a stranger that stands at the sides and tries not to interfere, with a crush on a pretty girl just like everyone else.

And I would definitely kill all of you if put to the Program. You gotta play to win, you see. No sense playing otherwise.

Brickwall
2008-04-17, 03:36 PM
Tell me one person in the chat who does.

Remember that SMBG game that got closed because everyone who posted after me described their utter hatred of me? Including you, if I recall. Actually, I think you started it. More to the point, though, all of them. I did my job well. I really shouldn't need to defend my position as Most Disliked when a good number of the posts here cite me as the exception to the "good community" rule here. :smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama makes a good point there. We're probably an open community because our front is too large to defend. 90% of things interesting to nerds are covered somewhere on these forums. We even had cryptograms back a while ago. Everyone has a place. Except LARPers. No-one loves them :smalltongue:

Zar Peter
2008-04-17, 04:06 PM
Join Us, Resistance is Futile, Prepare to be Assimilated.
That said, did a newbie just create a thread to announce their presence? you know what THAT MEANS.
*gets out the organ-harvesting gear*
DIBS ON THE LUNGS!

BRC, while I like harvesting a newcomer as much as the next man this is not a "Hi, I'm new, what's going on?" thread, this is a thread with a real topic and he also posted in other threads before so stay away from his innards!

And back to topic: I'm sure when lurking more often here you will find some distinctions between us. For example: Some of us really think squids have no bones, which is of course completely ridiculous.

And the reason I love this forum most: I never, ever found something similar to the SMBG part here. Not this big. Not this insane. Not this funny.

BRC
2008-04-17, 04:08 PM
BRC, while I like harvesting a newcomer as much as the next man this is not a "Hi, I'm new, what's going on?" thread, this is a thread with a real topic and he also posted in other threads before so stay away from his innards!

And back to topic: I'm sure when lurking more often here you will find some distinctions between us. For example: Some of us really think squids have no bones, which is of course completely ridiculous.

And the reason I love this forum most: I never, ever found something similar to the SMBG part here. Not this big. Not this insane. Not this funny.

Aww, we never get to harvest newbies anymore, theyve wised up to us.

Zar Peter
2008-04-17, 04:39 PM
Don't worry. The day will come and an innocent newcomer overlooks the New Members thread and post a new Thread about his/her existence... then our hour has come!

* pats on shoulder *

White Rook
2008-04-17, 06:18 PM
My main forum is extremely cliquey, extremely offensive, and just plain mean, and I love it. It's like a big happy dysfunctional family. I try to tone it down as much as possible for this forum, which is, in the most innocent sense, truly a playground. :smalltongue: There are good points to both kinds, really.

Ceska
2008-04-17, 11:11 PM
Remember that SMBG game that got closed because everyone who posted after me described their utter hatred of me? Including you, if I recall. Actually, I think you started it.
I didn't start the thread.
I never said I hate you. I don't. I find you a little annoying sometimes, but I don't hate any person in my life, let alone people I could avoid. I'm sorry if you misunderstood this.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-18, 12:17 AM
Hold on...

Ok, this is going to take a while....

Recaiden
2008-04-19, 08:27 PM
This is the nicest forum and the nicest website i have ever seen. Although, i don't hate Brickwall. Iy's nice sometimes to have a forum like this.

Pyro
2008-04-19, 09:22 PM

I would feel so weird doing that, but probably because I don't spend a lot of time here, so nobody really knows me.

This is my first forum, but it's much better than most I've seen. Some tech support boards are downright awful. *shivers* Never again...

Mx.Silver
2008-04-20, 06:19 AM
Anyway, what I've noticed on the other forums I've been on is that the forummers were really close knit and there'd be cliques and groups here and there... but on the GitP forums everybody accepts everyone and it's just one big family... which is AWESOME :D!! The only problem is you all kind of mesh into one big happy user.

Maybe it's just cause I'm new... But do you guys notice that?

I don't know if I've just been lucky, but none of the forums I've ever joined had much in the way of cliques and groups (I have been on forums that are so small the community itself could qualify as a clique, but that's another story). I haven't really lurked anywhere else long enough to spot such trends either.

As to here, I'm not sure really. I've only really been active on the Media, Other Gaming and Webcomics boards (and sometimes this one) as I don't play p&p RPGs, can't draw and the OOTS board makes my fanboy/fangirl alarm explode. From what I've seen I'd generally agree with your assessment. I say generally because I do occasionally go into the D20 board where all the relatively cheery, normal members suddenly turn into rabid flame warriors.

Fin
2008-04-20, 06:39 AM
Like a few of you this is my 'second' (as in the second I have been a consistent memeber of, not my secondary) forum and I feel I will never have to find a third.

As has been mentioned there are a few loose cliques but it is purely based around the sub-forums you frequent.

I would also like to point out that I like brickwall's posts, knowing that this forums allows people to air what they want (within reason) is why this place is so good and Brickwall personifies that.

*Runs over to hug Brickwall*

*realises he is running... at a Brickwall*

*tries to back out*

*hurts :smallredface:*

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-20, 07:37 AM
ITT: RAAGE!

Anyway, my main forum is possibly the most unpleasant place on the internet. Nowhere else are self-introductory threads met with instant threats of sexual harassment.
'soup, Gentlemen.

Pyro
2008-04-20, 09:40 AM
ITT: RAAGE!

Anyway, my main forum is possibly the most unpleasant place on the internet. Nowhere else are self-introductory threads met with instant threats of sexual harassment.
'soup, Gentlemen.

Hah...wait...what? :smallconfused:

Glaivemaster
2008-04-20, 09:45 AM
Hah...wait...what? :smallconfused:

I believe that he is trying to imply, without directly saying it, that he is a regular of 4chan

Mx.Silver
2008-04-20, 10:21 AM
I believe that he is trying to imply, without directly saying it, that he is a regular of 4chan

Then he must die :smallwink:

Pyro
2008-04-20, 11:52 AM

Oooo...That makes so much sense it's scary.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-20, 11:58 AM

:smallamused:

Vuzzmop
2008-04-20, 04:26 PM
Please, for the love of Ghandi, end the quote-chain!:smalleek:

Its true, the playground is one of the most conflict free forums in existence, (except for those anti-cyber-bullying sites where all they do is complain about how they get bullied by people they don't know. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.) But we do need people to be confrontational. I myself, attempt to do so in a diplomatic and gentle-elder-evillry way, but people like Brickwall and EE are really what make the hot sexy conflict here.

Meh, good on 'em.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-20, 05:04 PM
Please, for the love of Ghandi, end the quote-chain!:smalleek:

NEVAR!!!1!

Nah, I wouldn't exactly say that these forums are the most conflict-free place - indeed, I have a few gripes that I'd rather not voice, for fear of being disappeared - but what's good is the drama containment field that seems to be in place: it's limited to threads, or, at most, sections of the forum, but one thing alone wouldn't lead to the collapse of the forum.

North
2008-04-20, 05:05 PM
Yeah this place is very easy going Id say. There are cliques but not as much in an exclusive ignoring people kind of way. Well except for the AMENites they're all big jerks. :smalltongue:

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-20, 05:06 PM
Well except for the AMENites they're all big jerks.

Well, it's your job in HALO to go sort that out, then!

Vella_Malachite
2008-04-21, 05:41 AM
Yeah...I love these forums. They give me interesting people to talk to and they fulfil my daily nerd/geek quota.

I love how you can just chat/discuss/debate about random stuff (within the forum rules) and not get insulted and stuff.

I, also, am not part of a minigroup or clique here; I just talk to everyone and anyone.:smallcool:

Cobra_Ikari
2008-04-21, 05:58 AM
Yeah...I love these forums. They give me interesting people to talk to and they fulfil my daily nerd/geek quota.

I love how you can just chat/discuss/debate about random stuff (within the forum rules) and not get insulted and stuff.

I, also, am not part of a minigroup or clique here; I just talk to everyone and anyone.:smallcool:

*hugs*

...I agree with this sentiment. 'tis a lovely place.

...and most people don't mind if I hug them, so yay! :smallsmile:

Hell Puppi
2008-04-21, 09:47 PM
We like hugs.

Even the people that don't are just pretending not to like it, or you have to wear away at their personal bubble.

This is the only forum I regularly post at, mostly because i like the people. I used to have another forum I posted at, but eh. Someone was really rude to me there, and it took 2 pages of snarking back and forth to figure out the reason the person was annoyed with me was because I had used the phrase 'retarded'. How I had used it was 'this idea is retarded (I was talking about my idea for a thread) but we might have some fun with it anyway'.
Had she actually said that first off, I would have realized that the word was pretty silly to use in that way (or any way, really) and edited it, but instead the thread went down in flames because someone had a bad day. The fun part was she never actually said that, so someone had to point out the error.
Yeah, good times.

Charity
2008-04-22, 02:22 AM
*Dons his spiked armour*

*Hides a black ring with two circles, a cross and a snake*
Expecting white text are we ?
Yeah, I like how their is no secret clubs or elite groups at all. :smallsmile:

Always makes my day a bit better visiting this forum, difficult to find a cheerier bunch of people, even if we have some disillusioned people thinking English Cricket is a sport not a a joke *rolls eyes*

:smallwink: But all forums have their nuts.

Ah the sound of dried skull on willow is there a noise more likely to bring a man joy...

Yeah of course there’s cliques, folk will find they get along better with x,y and z posters best and they will quite naturally seek them out in threads, and as their relationships mature there will be in jokes (or in fighting, eh Bricky?)
It is inevitable, and desirable. If we were just some bland homogenized mass it would be pretty dull around here. (If you're wondering I am in the sarcastic old grognard clique... if your names not on the list you ain't coming in)