PDA

View Full Version : Bloodstorm blade on a mount?

Cuddly
2008-04-16, 10:46 PM
Could a bloodstorm blade use a spirited charge with lances while throwing them? I'm afb right now, but I think it's possible.

I've got an idea for a griffon riding dwarf that dual wields shocking lances and hurls them at his enemies. Like Zeus, sort of. Also, his griffon would use white raven tactics on him and sing bard songs so he gets like +10d6 fire damage on all his attacks.

[edit]
Not sure if that's the right PrC class name. It's the one in ToB that throws things.

Jasdoif
2008-04-16, 11:04 PM
I don't think you can, unless you have some way to make the attack at the end of a charge a ranged (or just thrown) attack. Normally the attack at the end of a charge is a single melee attack. You could certainly describe the melee attack as a thrown attack (thrown at just the right time) instead of as a simple melee attack, since with Thunderous Throw your ranged attack would be resolved like a melee attack anyway.

Also, I believe you could have your mount charge and make the melee attack itself...but in that case you don't get the benefits of charging, which I bet is the whole reason you're using lances. Although it might be just cool-looking if you have your mount charge after you've thrown your lances.

Cuddly
2008-04-16, 11:08 PM
I recall reading that you can use maneuvres in conjunction with throwing, as well as power attack and the like. Were those specific exceptions, or that you treat a ranged attack as a melee attack?

Jasdoif
2008-04-16, 11:18 PM
OK, my mistake, I read Thunderous Throw wrong the first time. It says you can treat your thrown attacks as melee attacks for the rest of the round, and charge says you just have to move to the closest square from which you could attack your target. So you can indeed make a thrown charge, since your thrown attack will be treated as the melee attack the charge requires.

tyckspoon
2008-04-16, 11:18 PM
I've seen a lot of optimization threads suggesting throwing weapons off a charge with Bloodstorm Blade with no objections, so I'm willing to accept that works since the CharOp people tend to be pretty thorough about vetting their builds. I don't know if throwing *lances* works, tho; does the Bloodstorm Blade get a Throw Anything-style ability that lets him treat any weapon as a proper throwing weapon? If not, you'll either have to deal with the rules for throwing an improper weapon or pay for Throwing on your lances.

Cuddly
2008-04-16, 11:24 PM
They do get a throw anything style ability *I think*. If not, hulking hurler is only a 3 level class :smallwink:

However, even if they don't it's no big deal. A charging hasted griffon can charge what, 360ft? If I move only 180 feet and take thrall to baphomet or some archdevil (a feat from one of the FC's), I get +2 on my attack for every 10 feet I charge, or something like that. That's +18, then fly 180 feet past.

The ricochet ability can be used to take down enemies that I don't feel like closing with, and of course, I'll be dipping lion totem barb for pounce.

I could combine this with wraithstrike, for added hilarity.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-16, 11:25 PM
MY GAWD! My mind's eye is envisioning something like a Diablo II Javazon hurling weapons with 100% chain lighting and the final throw skill... I think I'm going to weep with joy.

Jasdoif
2008-04-16, 11:27 PM
They do get a throw anything style ability *I think*.They do. At first level, even.

Darrin
2008-04-17, 08:28 AM
They do. At first level, even.

They also get the ability to treat all their ranged attacks as if they were melee attacks, including using feats like Power Attack. So you could charge on a mount with a lance, make a full attack by throwing your lance (which automatically returns for all your extra attacks, plus Rapid Shot), you can add PA+multipliers on all of them. Use the Elusive Dance feat (Dragon #333) to cancel any AoOs your target may get.

Not sure if you can toss in Leap Attack as well... how exactly would you charge on a mount while jumping off of it? Hmmm... sounds like a pretty high Ride check...

BadJuJu
2008-04-17, 11:35 AM
Your mount can make the jump check, I believe.

ryuteki
2008-04-18, 11:57 AM
Keep in mind that until you hit 4th-level Bloodstorm Blade, your weapon will return at the beginning of your next turn to the square you threw it from, not to wherever you are (this is true for all returning weapons). At 4th level, the weapons return immediately so you no longer need to worry about it.