PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Childhood: Gaming Doesn't Cause Violence In Kids

Ranis
2008-04-17, 02:22 PM
Anyone who hasn't seen this, check it out.

http://kotaku.com/380761/kids-who-dont-play-video-games-are-at-risk

This is conclusive evidence, proof; scientific, researched proof, that violent video games don't cause violence in teens. I personally am going to go order this book from Amazon right now and read it cover to cover, because now I can throw this research in the face of anyone telling me to the contrary.

What do you all think?

Jibar
2008-04-17, 02:31 PM
That this problem is actually not found in Britain.
In fact the biggest problem I find with video games is persuading people that they deserve to rated on the same level as other forms of media, such as films or books.
I think if we can achieve that then the problem of violence should in a way trickle out as people come to realise that no one media can be blamed at all.
The question is simply how do we make video games accepted?
Because right now I think that it's simply a matter of waiting for generations to change. A patient, and ultimately frustrating solution, but when the youth of today become the adults of tomorrow, video games are likely to recieve the respect and understanding they deserve.

TheLogman
2008-04-17, 04:02 PM
I have a friend who did a PJAS (Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science) project on aggression. He exposed test subjects to various violent material (Saving Private Ryan, a violent book, Resident Evil 4 Mercenaries mode) for the same time each. After 10 minutes I think he gave the subjects a survey, the same survey a university-level test used. the survey described some sort of aggravating situation, and prompted a number of responses. He also just handed out the surveys to the subjects during school for the control. In addition, subject reactions to the material prompted an aggression level in his observations.

Once all the data was collected, I took a look at his graph, which showed the number of violence/aggressive responses for each media and the control. The lowest number of responses was for the book, the second lowest was Resident Evil 4. The highest number of responses that were violent/aggressive in nature was the control, which suggested that playing Resident Evil 4: Mercenaries (An extremely violent game and game mode I assure you), actually CALMED your average high schoolers down.

In addition, I was looking at some crime rates, crime rates in major cities DECREASED right after the PS3 came out.

Flying Elephant
2008-04-17, 04:52 PM
The highest number of responses that were violent/aggressive in nature was the control, which suggested that playing Resident Evil 4: Mercenaries (An extremely violent game and game mode I assure you), actually CALMED your average high schoolers down.

Maybe the control group was violent because they were in school. A better control group might be taken, say, 1-2 hours after school. If they took the survey while in/just after school then I would assume that there may be a high level of tension, and thus aggression.

Ranis
2008-04-17, 05:52 PM
In addition, I was looking at some crime rates, crime rates in major cities DECREASED right after the PS3 came out.

I don't really think that that's valid either, due to the Wii coming out the same day.

Demented
2008-04-17, 06:12 PM
Maybe the control group was violent because they were in school. A better control group might be taken, say, 1-2 hours after school. If they took the survey while in/just after school then I would assume that there may be a high level of tension, and thus aggression.

But wouldn't that be on the road to proving that schools cause violence?

Icewalker
2008-04-17, 06:29 PM
The point is you can relieve stress by blowing up virtual people instead of stabbing someone...

Rogue 7
2008-04-17, 06:30 PM
The thing is, you get scientific studies all the time. One is not going to change everything, even if it is correct. I don't think at all that video games cause violence- I use them to calm down, personally.

And the bit for the boys who don't play video games as being more prone to violence, I think that can be due to poverty- poor, inner-city kids are more likely to get into trouble and are the same ones who can't afford these games.

Icewalker
2008-04-17, 06:36 PM
Wow...gunned down. I need to look into this book, this is amazing. And it said at the beginning that they are both psychologists, or run a psych ward, or something along those lines.

DraPrime
2008-04-17, 07:56 PM
I'm annoyed when they use examples such as Cody Posey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cody_Posey). If someone murders their family because of a friggin game then they were already pretty messed up. While I'm no psychologist, I think that if someone became a murderer just because of a game, then odds are that something else could have easily triggered it.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-17, 08:46 PM
Wasn't there also a big stink a while back over a White Wolf game blamed for a series of murders? Hell, I know there have been stinks about DnD. It's a pity that stupidity doesn't go hand in hand with being unable to reproduce.

Ranis
2008-04-17, 08:52 PM
Wow...gunned down. I need to look into this book, this is amazing. And it said at the beginning that they are both psychologists, or run a psych ward, or something along those lines.

They're the founders of the Harvard School of Mental Health and Media.

Tirian
2008-04-17, 09:53 PM
I'm annoyed when they use examples such as Cody Posey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cody_Posey). If someone murders their family because of a friggin game then they were already pretty messed up. While I'm no psychologist, I think that if someone became a murderer just because of a game, then odds are that something else could have easily triggered it.

I don't think that very many serious people would argue that violent video games profoundly mess people up, and it doesn't surprise me that there is data to the contrary.

But some serious people make what I think is a more persuasive argument; for people who are profoundly messed up, violent video games serve as a visualization technique for channeling their pent-up energy. A kid who otherwise would have smoked pot in his room and eventually become an unskilled laboring adult realizes the zazz of mowing down all the jerks in school and going out in a blaze of glory, even if that same media doesn't have that impact on the 98% of the population who are relatively well-adjusted.

No, I don't think that totalitarian censorship of video games is the answer, but I think that the problem deserves more respect than seeing one study and thinking "Ah, so there was no problem after all -- game on!"

Zakama
2008-04-18, 01:00 AM
Hmm. Interesting theories, especially the one about being more of a social outcast if you don't play video games. I'll probably pick the book up from the library.

Icewalker
2008-04-18, 01:11 AM
Wasn't there also a big stink a while back over a White Wolf game blamed for a series of murders? Hell, I know there have been stinks about DnD. It's a pity that stupidity doesn't go hand in hand with being unable to reproduce.

Please see: Darwin Awards thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78152)

(People who do something so stupid they manage to remove themselves from the gene pool. Be it through death or simply trying to steal a lobster by stuffing it down your pants to bad results)

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-18, 06:42 AM
school gives aggresion. Yes.
School creates stress, a great benefactor and issues with violent behavior.

Then you have video games.
Video games expose violence and murder and such. It lets them deal with them in-game. So thus actually relieves stress, which gives less violence.

So there you have it, school is bad and video games are good!!!!

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:
Me is happy!

Closet_Skeleton
2008-04-18, 07:12 AM
In fact the biggest problem I find with video games is persuading people that they deserve to rated on the same level as other forms of media, such as films or books.

I was about to disagree with you, but then I remembered how crap most films and books are.

Tom_Violence
2008-04-18, 12:30 PM
I was about to disagree with you, but then I remembered how crap most films and books are.

Yeah, but films and books have the advantage of being established. I think games still need to improve an awful lot in order to be credible. A large amount of people see games as just brainless distractions, and fair enough - I dare say that's what most people see. Media time doesn't favour the more artistic kinds of games. Tis not fair, but tis the way it is.

Ziren
2008-04-18, 01:14 PM
Media time doesn't favour the more artistic kinds of games. Tis not fair, but tis the way it is.

How is this different from books, movies, music, etc.?

Tom_Violence
2008-04-18, 02:08 PM
How is this different from books, movies, music, etc.?

I didn't. I think I implied quite the opposite actually. In fact, I agreed with the post above my original one. I'm just saying that games are on the back foot and have a lot of ground to make up, since the other arts are more established.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-04-18, 04:09 PM
I'm just saying that games are on the back foot and have a lot of ground to make up, since the other arts are more established.

According to my Film Studies books, Film wasn't considered a series medium until TV had replaced it in popularity. So in 50 years when the Next Big Thing TM has come along video games can be art.

warty goblin
2008-04-18, 04:15 PM
According to my Film Studies books, Film wasn't considered a series medium until TV had replaced it in popularity. So in 50 years when the Next Big Thing TM has come along video games can be art.

Funnily enough, I don't want games to be art. I have a strong tendancy to dislike games that are hailed as such, and tend to prefer games that remember their purpose is to be fun. All I want is to be able to play games without being treated like some sort of social pariah liable to snap into a homicidal frenzy at any moment. As it is I'm fairly...selective who I reveal my gaming habits to.

EvilElitest
2008-04-18, 09:54 PM
That this problem is actually not found in Britain.
I think if we can achieve that then the problem of violence should in a way trickle out as people come to realise that no one media can be blamed at all.
The question is simply how do we make video games accepted?
Because right now I think that it's simply a matter of waiting for generations to change. A patient, and ultimately frustrating solution, but when the youth of today become the adults of tomorrow, video games are likely to recieve the respect and understanding they deserve.

Of course the things the older generations valued will be forgotten sadly
from
EE

TheLogman
2008-04-18, 10:21 PM
Huh?!?

Wait a minute now. Even extremely old traditions of "media" (Spoken Tradition, symphony music, ect.) are highly valued even today. Classic literature valued thousands of years ago is arguably even more valued today. Ever hear the term "Antique"? A something or another that is worth MORE because its old. That's right, we value older furniture, vases, ect. even MORE than the stuff we have today. Gone With the Wind is still one of the best movies of all time, and it was a classic Civil War era book made movie.

So, I don't think that the things that older generations valued will be forgotten, I think that new media will be recognized, given its rightful place, but the classics can never be forgotten, never be replaced.

Hawriel
2008-04-19, 07:59 AM
Video games are the latest big thing with kids. Befor video games GIJoe and Heman, and Bugs Bunny made kids violent. Befor them it was D&D and other games of the like, along with comic books. Befor that, well even today and through out humen history it was/is music. Just remember, the Beattles, Captain america, Bugs Bunny and your own renamed King Arther have corupted children for generations.

Peaple have been aggresive for alot of reasons well befor vidio games, rock & roll, Rap, and comic books have been around. Its just that those reasons are apart of are society (and I will not name for fear of reproch from the moderators) we exept them, hide from them. As a society we will denie what is in front of us because its of are own making.

The thing of it is every thing that fringe groups like are used as the scape goate. When its one of the kids in school who every one shuns likes somthing its bad. When that kid happens to actual have a mental desease and likes the fringe hobby gets violent its because the hobby corupted him. Even though at the same time the popular kids on the football team are beating the crap out the fringe kid every day with out consiquene. Never mind that the jock may have an alcaholic father or none at all. That is an exepted cause to being violent.

If video games or D&D or what ever has had a real effect on kids. Its that it helped alot of them. It gave them a vent for stress, weather it was a shooter, an RPG, a puzzle or a world manager. It gave them a comunety even if it was small to belong to. It let the kid find somthing he was good at. Not every one can be in the science club or be in band. Id did this for me, as well as many of you. Im just glad alot of you are young enough to have these things coming into exeptence now.

OK I hope this made some kind of sence. Im sorry if it didnt. I have not slepped yet. Now Im off to shower and go to my friends to finish the Tomb of Horrors.

Mewtarthio
2008-04-19, 03:28 PM
Yeah, but films and books have the advantage of being established. I think games still need to improve an awful lot in order to be credible. A large amount of people see games as just brainless distractions, and fair enough - I dare say that's what most people see. Media time doesn't favour the more artistic kinds of games. Tis not fair, but tis the way it is.

That reminds me of the time when my Mom actually apologized to me for calling videogames a mindless distraction. Apparently, she'd honestly believed that modern games were just flashier versions of Pong.

Maerok
2008-04-19, 03:34 PM

B-b-but we need somebody to blame!

Mewtarthio
2008-04-19, 04:18 PM
I guess we'll have to go back to the tinfoil-hat scapegoats. "MKULTRA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MKULTRA) is making my son defiant!"