PDA

View Full Version : Leadership.

Deth Muncher
2008-04-17, 03:50 PM
I'd kinda like some clarification on this feat. Does it let you get a cohort with character class levels, or do they have to be NPC class levels? I'd kinda like to have an artificer or wizard following around my sorcerer to provide little bits of support.

BRC
2008-04-17, 04:01 PM
I'd kinda like some clarification on this feat. Does it let you get a cohort with character class levels, or do they have to be NPC class levels? I'd kinda like to have an artificer or wizard following around my sorcerer to provide little bits of support.
Followers get NPC class levels, Cohorts get PC class levels.

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-17, 04:01 PM

They can be of any class, though the dm has to agree on the choice.

Lochar
2008-04-17, 04:02 PM
I'd kinda like to have an artificer or wizard following around my sorcerer

Translation: I have a Cha based full caster which would give a dang good Leadership score. Can I get another full caster at (my level - 2) and break the game?

Sure, Leadership, especially with a Cha based character, can get you a character with PC class levels. Depending on the DM though, you may only be able to request one of a certain alignment or other things. Not all DMs allow you to build your own, custom tweaked cohort. Mainly for the reason my translation gave. But it is possible.

sonofzeal
2008-04-17, 04:03 PM
RAW, PC class levels are fine. However, that does make a powerful feat even more powerful, and YMMV depending on the DM. If you do get an artificer, have him craft at least one item for each member of the party. That'll win you friends and increase your chance of success too.

Deth Muncher
2008-04-17, 04:14 PM
Yeah...I the point about the whole "breaking the game thing..."

But thats not exactly the point I'm going for. We're currently in the "Return to the Ruins of Greyhawk" and we're in...oh...level 3 or 4 of the Tower of War. We don't have chances to get to the surface. Well....the rest of the party doesn't. I've got a Fiendish Feat giving me a 1/day Teleport, but the point is, I'd like to be able to have new items, since we're not getting money or gold at the moment. Hence where the articifer/wizard comes in, with their magicky-craftiness.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-17, 04:23 PM
Followers get NPC class levels

How solid is that, though? Most NPCs with Leadership (rare, but they certainly exist; Power of Faerūn etc.) seem to have PC class followers.

I think there was something along those lines in the 3.0 Epic Level Handbook, but that's kind of an outdated book now, and the rule never got reprinted, so it's not really core / RAW, is it?

sonofzeal
2008-04-17, 04:23 PM
Yeah...I the point about the whole "breaking the game thing..."

But thats not exactly the point I'm going for. We're currently in the "Return to the Ruins of Greyhawk" and we're in...oh...level 3 or 4 of the Tower of War. We don't have chances to get to the surface. Well....the rest of the party doesn't. I've got a Fiendish Feat giving me a 1/day Teleport, but the point is, I'd like to be able to have new items, since we're not getting money or gold at the moment. Hence where the articifer/wizard comes in, with their magicky-craftiness.
That's what I figured. And Artificer is totally legit, but the text suggests you may have to put in IC effort for it, as determined by your DM, so talk with him and make sure things are okay. Also, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to spread the wealth. The team will love you, the DM will have an easier time balancing encounters and most appreciate and reward player generosity, and it's better to have the DM's favour than to have a bunch of gadgets.

Deth Muncher
2008-04-17, 04:27 PM
Oh, ok, wait. This came up a little bit ago. Whats the difference between a Follower and a Cohort?

sonofzeal
2008-04-17, 04:28 PM
How solid is that, though? Most NPCs with Leadership (rare, but they certainly exist; Power of Faerūn etc.) seem to have PC class followers.

I think there was something along those lines in the 3.0 Epic Level Handbook, but that's kind of an outdated book now, and the rule never got reprinted, so it's not really core / RAW, is it?

The only relevant text is from the SRD:

Followers are similar to cohorts, except they’re generally low-level NPCs.

Implication is "NPC Class Levels", especially since Cohorts have no similar caveat.

sonofzeal
2008-04-17, 04:30 PM
Oh, ok, wait. This came up a little bit ago. Whats the difference between a Follower and a Cohort?

Cohort - you only get one, he's of a reasonable level, he can take PC classes

Follower - you get hundreds, they're mostly lvl1, they're "generally" NPC classes.

Chronos
2008-04-17, 04:33 PM
Wait, if you're so deep into the dungeon that you can't go back to town to buy items, then where, exactly, is your cohort supposed to come from? They don't just magically appear like paladin mounts, they have to reach you on their own devices. Even if you teleport out of the dungeon for a day (or longer) to recruit your cohort, how would you get him back down (I'm presuming your teleport ability is self only)?

Oh, ok, wait. This came up a little bit ago. Whats the difference between a Follower and a Cohort?You only get one cohort, who is a couple of levels below you, and advances as you advance. You get a whole bunch of followers, but they're low level and fixed in level (when you level up, they don't level up; you just get more of them).

Deth Muncher
2008-04-17, 04:52 PM
Wait, if you're so deep into the dungeon that you can't go back to town to buy items, then where, exactly, is your cohort supposed to come from? They don't just magically appear like paladin mounts, they have to reach you on their own devices. Even if you teleport out of the dungeon for a day (or longer) to recruit your cohort, how would you get him back down (I'm presuming your teleport ability is self only)?

Ah, you see, I don't plan on grabbing one quite yet. I mean, technically, next level I can get the actual spell "Teleport" and all will be well. But when I get a chance to get back to the surface, I'll have the time to go search for a cohort.

Rumda
2008-04-17, 05:08 PM
there is only one other restriction to cohorts that any sane DM should enforce they can NOT take leadership themselves