PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Hivemind

SadisticFishing
2008-04-17, 05:38 PM
Is there any 3.5 version of the Hivemind?

Otherwise, could anyone try explaining how the heck to use this thing? It confuses me. Lots.

hamishspence
2008-04-17, 05:45 PM
Fiendish Codex 1: Dark Speech: once used on one swarm (animals or vermin) it gives the ability to make them obey one suggestion, as the spell. For 1d4 constitution damge to caster.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-17, 06:42 PM
Well THAT is like... COMPLETELY different. >_<

I want swarms that can cast spells.

Oslecamo
2008-04-17, 06:47 PM
Fiend folio cranium rats?

Vortling
2008-04-17, 06:55 PM
This perhaps? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/wormThatWalks.htm) It's even a template. However it's an epic template.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-17, 06:59 PM
Fiend folio cranium rats?

There it is!

Thank you.

Oslecamo
2008-04-17, 07:40 PM
You're welcome.:smallwink:

Reinboom
2008-04-17, 11:48 PM
Fiendish Codex 1: Dark Speech: once used on one swarm (animals or vermin) it gives the ability to make them obey one suggestion, as the spell. For 1d4 constitution damge to caster.

This is a route that actually works, and a considerably great route as well. Since, this reprint of the feat has no cap on the hit die total.
It does establish a hive mind.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-17, 11:56 PM
Where IS the Hivemind though? The one in BoVD is pre-swarm, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Person_Man
2008-04-18, 08:36 AM
There's also the Society Mind (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=506284). Probably not what you're looking for. But its in the same ballpark, and its generally regarded as one of the most interesting homebrew classes ever.

nargbop
2008-04-19, 04:20 PM
Using Dark Speech Hivemind from the Book of Vile Darkness is fun fun fun. Take a bunch of existing vermin and grant them intelligence. The book has rules on how many are required, how many extra grant how much more cleverness... But the rules aren't fleshed out very much. I'm going to use it soon in my game and some serious bantering with my DM to figure out what can actually be done with this thing...
For instance, we need to get something out of a very well-protected palace. For plot reasons, if I even show up near the walls I'll be detected and turned into soup. My solution which just might work : gather a thousand fleas from the streets of the surrounding city, and breathe into them the Word of Consolidation (is that what it was called? Something like that). Research something like Familiar Spell-like Ability, and give the swarm Teleport. Let the fleas hitch rides in on people just walking about the streets, and disengage and find the item I need.
There are numerous problems with this plan, not the least one being that I'm depending on the cooperation of a craven filthy insectoid mass...