PDA

View Full Version : The Darwin Awards

SilentNight
2008-04-17, 06:48 PM
For those of you who have never heard of these amusing, albiet macabre, anecdotes should look Here. (http://www.darwinawards.com/)

The purpose of this thread is to make a compendium of all of the playgrounder's favorite awards and general discussion thereof. If I feel so inclined a prize may be issued to the funniest.

Warning: in the rare event of a prize being awarded, it may consist of nothing at all.

My personal favorite is entitled Wrong Time, Wrong Place(Paraphrased from the site).
Some man in Renton, Washington tried to commit what was apparently his first robbery and went about it as only Elan :elan: could(if he was into robbing at gunpoint). We can easily deduce this from the following facts
1.The man's target was H&J Leather and Firearms, a gun shop( duh)
2.The shop was full of customers, supposedly there to buy guns, in a State where most adults carry concealed handguns.(do your homework!)
3.To get to the door, he had to step around a marked police car.(:smallconfused: )
4.A uniformed officer was standing next to the counter.( *cough* Moron *cough cough*)

The man announced the robbery and fired a few shots into the air. He was immediately turned into a hot lead meat loaf by the clerk, officer and several customers, thereby making the gene pool just a little bit safer. No one else was hurt.

Icewalker
2008-04-17, 06:53 PM
I remember that one. Did they actually shoot him? I thought they just all pulled guns on him and arrested him.

There's another, I forget the title, but it is an urban legend filed as an insurance claim.

So this guy has been working on an 80 ft. radio tower all day, climbing up and down the ladder with various tools. At the end of the day there are 300 lbs. of tools at the top of the tower, and he doesn't want to climb up and down again to carry them all down. So he puts them all in a barrel, rigs up a pulley system, and pulls it off from the bottom. He weighs about 220 lbs. Panicking, he reflexively still holds the rope as it lifts him off the ground. He meets the barrel halfway up and breaks a few bones, minor concussion. The barrel hits the ground and the bottom falls out, emptying all the tools, and he starts falling. Hitting the barrel halfway down he breaks a few more bones, and lands on the pile of tools at the bottom and, barely conscious, lets go of the rope.

Rogue 7
2008-04-17, 06:58 PM
Didn't the Mythbusters test that one?

Szilard
2008-04-17, 07:01 PM
Except it was construction workers and full of bricks.

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-17, 07:01 PM
I received a book of these a year or two ago. My personal favourite is the man who managed to partially emasculate himself which trying to decapitate a rooster. Full award, I think, because he was out of the gene pool.

phoenixineohp
2008-04-17, 07:07 PM
I adore these. My favorites tend to involve snakes. Like a guy pinning a constrictor with the but of his rifle and it winding up the body and shooting him in the face. Or the guy who was bitten by a venomous snake, went to the bar and refused treatment because 'I'm a man, I can handle it'. :smallamused:

All time favorite. (http://darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1999-18.html)

Though I do enjoy the 'drunk who had a groin full of porcupine quills' one as well. :smallamused:

Rogue 7
2008-04-17, 07:07 PM
My personal favorite has got to be this one guy- apparently he was showing some new construction workers what not to do, so he took a tank of compressed oxygen, put his foot on it, and shot it. I think they found parts something like a quarter mile away.

Shraik
2008-04-17, 07:10 PM
One of my favorites is the man who tried to get scrap from a rocket propelled grenade. So he took the grenade, and put it on the ground and tried to break it open. He then hit it with a sledgehammer.

You can guess what happened

SurlySeraph
2008-04-17, 10:22 PM
My favorite is the woman who died by sheep (http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-03.html). Because that is just the most pathetic way to die ever, short of ODing on cough syrup. (http://www.streethop.com/forums/articles/106319.html)

SoD
2008-04-18, 12:58 AM
There was one man who, after loosing a drinking game, as a punishment, had to put a ring on, uh, a certain part of his body. It got stuck there. However, the next morning, when he woke up and couldn't get it off...he left it there. A few days later, when he finally, embarassedly went to the hospital for help...it had been cutting off the blood flow and bits were starting to go a bit smelly. He was told that the part in question had to be decapitated. At hearing this, he ran away. There was a public announcement put out, informing him that if he didn't undergo the surgery then it would quickly become extremely badly infected, which could easily kill him.

It's a Darwin/Darwin situation, either way he ends out of the gene pool!

Thinking about my past experiences, I could easily end up Darwined to death...I'm not the smartest person around. A few years ago (I'll mention that I'm a very weak swimmer) me and my friends were swimming out to a plontoon which is about 75 metres off shore. I'm laggin behind, not being that good a swimmer, when I suddenly think, halfway there I wonder how deep the water is here? So I take a deep breath, and go down. Of course, I only dropped a metre of two before instantly bobbing back up. Damn. Wait a sec, it's because I'm full of air, so if I have no air in my lungs, I'll be heavier and won't bob back up so quickly! Genius! and so I exhale as much air as I can, and go down. About half a second later I realise Wait a sec, there's not air in my lungs! I can't breath, I'm not going to bob back up, I'm sinking like a stone, and I'm an awful swimmer! I managed, with a lot of struggling, to get back up to the surface...just.

Icewalker
2008-04-18, 01:20 AM
Man drowns in own sink (http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2004-26.html)

...this is somewhat hilarious. Drunk man comes home, tries to climb in through his kitchen window, gets stuck, and accidentally turns on the water tap. For some reason, probably because he is drunk, he does not turn off the water or for that matter, go in through the front door: the keys were found in his pants pocket.

...or this (http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2004-24.html). Engineering student at Carleton University, in a spitting contest, decides the best way to win is by taking a running start and jumping off the 11 story building...

Jayngfet
2008-04-18, 01:46 AM
my favorite is the guy who grabbed a plastic bag and some fire to exterminate a beehive

he forgot to poke airholes.

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-18, 01:52 AM
I feel the need to mention a second one.

The woman who needed to smoke, so she stepped off the bus. While it was moving.

Vaynor
2008-04-18, 01:57 AM
I like the one where the guy turns on cruise control on his new RV and falls asleep, thinking that if cruise control was on it would guide his car around turns. Luckily he was driving in the desert on a long, straight road. Eventually he hit a turn and naturally, his RV tumbled off the side of the road. He sued the company that made the RV for not specifying that cruise control is not, in fact, auto pilot.

SoD
2008-04-18, 03:33 AM
I don't think it's a Darwin, but it's bloody bad luck. A guy who's trying to commit suicide, the first attempt: jump in front of a bus. The bus slams on its breaks, still hits him, but it gives him nothing worse than a few bruises. He's taken to hosipital and released in an hour or so when they find nothing serious. Second attempt later that day: jump in front of a train. He landed between the rails, and the train went straight over him, taken back to hospital. They realise that, although nothing was wrong (a few more bruises), the guy is suicidal. So, while he's there, they bring in a priest to talk to him. The preists talk works, and the guy has found a new interest in life. As he's leaving the hospital, he gets hit by an ambulance, and ends up back in hospital for the third time that day...this time with serious injuries.

Serpentine
2008-04-18, 03:46 AM
He was told that the part in question had to be decapitated.I was gonna make fun of you for using a word that specifically means "to remove the head", but then it occured to me that if it had been in a slightly different place it would actually be a perfectly apt word to use...

None of the Darwin Award links seem to be working.

My favourite goes approximately like this:
Two drunk guys decide to break into a concert. Their plan is (I think) thusly: They climb over the fence and get in. Simple, no? Well, the first guy climbs over the fence. He then falls through a tree, and gets snagged on a branch by the underwears. He pulls out his pocketknife and cuts himself free. He then lands on the knife... in a holly bush. I believe there was something about a branch going up his arse. He yells out in pain, so his friend decides to help him. He throws over a rope, ties it to his car, and starts the car intending to drag his friend over the fence again. It's in reverse. And he isn't wearing a seatbelt.
So, the police turn up to find a guy through the windshield of his car, which is on top of a guy with a holly branch up his bum, a knife in his thigh and his underwear in the tree.

My favourite honourable mention is probably the guy who cut his hand off with a circular saw. The pain was so intense, he decided to kill himself with a nailgun. He failed. The ambulance turned up, removed the nails and reattached his hand.

I also especially like it when guys nominate themselves for a Darwin Award :smallbiggrin:

Quincunx
2008-04-18, 04:18 AM
No, no, my undoubted favorites are the three Cambodian guys in a bar who decided to play Russian roulette with an anti-tank mine. Drink, stomp, pass. Drink, stomp, pass. Drink, stomp--

Danzaver
2008-04-18, 04:47 AM
I liked the guy who put a bullet on a picnic table and shot it with an air-rifle. the bullet went off and shot him in the balls.

SoD
2008-04-18, 05:19 AM
I was gonna make fun of you for using a word that specifically means "to remove the head", but then it occured to me that if it had been in a slightly different place it would actually be a perfectly apt word to use...

The word 'decapitated', although not exactly perfect, was intentionally used.

DarkLightDragon
2008-04-18, 05:28 AM
This one (http://www.darwinawards.com/legends/legends1998-16.html) is complicated but a good read.

smellie_hippie
2008-04-18, 05:53 AM
Guy cleaning his motorcycle, wife pours excess gasoline in the commode, he goes for a smoke and it explodes. Much more to it then that, but during one of the trips to the emergency room, the paramedics dropped him and broke his collar bone!

I'm also a fan of the over-zealous suicide attempt. Shot himself & set himself on fire & jumped off a cliff while noosed to a large boulder... but survived.

SoD
2008-04-18, 06:03 AM
I heard a slightly different over-entusiatic suicide, noose around the neck, takes pills, jumps off bridge, and attempts to slit own throat. Accidentally cuts rope instead, and, when hitting the water, throws up, thus eliminating the drugs, and also drops the knife. A nearby boat sees his bright yellow raincoat and picks him up.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-04-18, 06:11 AM
All time favorite. (http://darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1999-18.html)

... His friend tried to keep him conscious by, as Gordon said, "whacking me in the head and pouring beer on me."

Despite his friend's quick action, doctors have said that it will take a long time and a lot of rehabilitation before Gordon regains full muscle control. When he does, we fondly anticipate another Darwin Award attempt.

Oh man, that has to be one of my favourites too now :smallbiggrin:

someonenonotyou
2008-04-18, 06:34 AM
i always wanted to get a darwin award when i go it's a life goal for me im not gonna try and get it i just hope it happens it would be fricken awsome:smallbiggrin:

Player_Zero
2008-04-18, 06:50 AM
This one (http://www.darwinawards.com/legends/legends1998-16.html) is complicated but a good read.

I don't believe that for a second.

senrath
2008-04-18, 07:05 AM
Guy cleaning his motorcycle, wife pours excess gasoline in the commode, he goes for a smoke and it explodes. Much more to it then that, but during one of the trips to the emergency room, the paramedics dropped him and broke his collar bone!

I think Mythbusters busted that one, actually.

My favorite might have to be the guy who decided to steal some lobsters from a grocery store...by shoving them down his pants and walking out the door. It would have been fine, except that the rubber bands on the lobsters' claws came off one way or another.

Leicontis
2008-04-18, 07:11 AM
Wrong Time, Wrong Place was indeed my favorite, until I heard of the one in New Zealand where a guy tried to hold up a gun store...
...with a machete...
He literally brought a knife to a gunfight!

Serpentine
2008-04-18, 07:25 AM
The word 'decapitated', although not exactly perfect, was intentionally used.In that case, bravo, and I'm sorry for wrecking your joke v.v

Player_Zero
2008-04-18, 07:35 AM
I'm not entirely convinced that most of these stories aren't just made up. I can understand the ones that seem improbable but possible, like a guy accidentally falling off of a building or whatever. But when it comes to the ones which couldn't have actually happened without the invention of the infinite improbability drive then I call foul play.

Serpentine
2008-04-18, 07:40 AM
This one (http://www.darwinawards.com/legends/legends1998-16.html) is complicated but a good read.Ah yes, I remember this one from a while back.

Zero, most of the time the Darwin Awards try to get good evidence of their stories, and if they don't have anything reliable they mark it as such. The one above, for example, is listed under "Urban Legends".

SilentNight
2008-04-18, 09:23 AM
\

I'm also a fan of the over-zealous suicide attempt. Shot himself & set himself on fire & jumped off a cliff while noosed to a large boulder... but survived.

He also swallowed poison I think. And I could swear he died of pnuemonia like, 12 hours later. :smalltongue:

One my other favorites is this one (http://DarwinAwards.com/darwin/darwin1995-01.html) particularly the last line.

Player_Zero
2008-04-18, 09:32 AM
Ah yes, I remember this one from a while back.

Zero, most of the time the Darwin Awards try to get good evidence of their stories, and if they don't have anything reliable they mark it as such. The one above, for example, is listed under "Urban Legends".

http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2007-07.html

I still don't believe the guy shouted "Give me back my balls!" no matter what you may say.

Icewalker
2008-04-18, 09:51 AM
Yeah, if I remember correctly he lit himself on fire, swallowed poison, tied a noose around his neck attached to a nearby tree, then jumped off a cliff while shooting himself.

The bullet severed the rope and he fell off the cliff into the water, causing him to vomit up the poison and putting out the fire. He was then picked up by a fishing boat and died of pneumonia a few days later.

SoD
2008-04-18, 11:05 AM
I heard a slightly different over-entusiatic suicide, noose around the neck, takes pills, jumps off bridge, and attempts to slit own throat. Accidentally cuts rope instead, and, when hitting the water, throws up, thus eliminating the drugs, and also drops the knife. A nearby boat sees his bright yellow raincoat and picks him up.

Already mentioned it. Or at least one similar.

Goats_o_Mjolnir
2008-04-18, 11:39 AM
Here a story about a child who got himself caught in a claw game machine trying to score a free spongebob.

Article is here (http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2006-10-25-boy-vending-spongebob_x.htm) with a picture

:smallbiggrin:

Mewtarthio
2008-04-19, 03:44 PM

If that's actually true, then it makes for the second most convoluted suicide I've ever heard of. And the first is just creepy, while this has aspects of poetic justice, so this one wins.

Re: The Awards in general:

A lot of them I don't really like, since they just look like horrible luck instead of actual stupidity (eg the sheep one).

EvilElitest
2008-04-19, 04:16 PM
I liked the guy who ran himself over while making a driving safty video
from
EE

Judge
2008-04-19, 04:42 PM
I find the best the guy who attached a jetplane booster to his car and tried to go speeding.

He ended up flying 15 mins after he plain burned his brakes and tires, smashed into a steep hill thing cliff thing where police assumed it was an airplane crash, only there was a car steering wheel in it. :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2008-04-19, 05:08 PM
I seem to recall one that went

Egyptian Man's prized Chicken falls down irragation tube
He dives in after it
His wife, seing him, leaps to his rescue... down the tube
Her son dives in after her, not having seen the first two
His brother follows suit
They're all found dead miles downriver, with the chicken walking around, pecking at them.

I don't believe it. But that doesn't mean its not funny. :smile:

phoenixineohp
2008-04-19, 07:03 PM
A similar one was in the Darwin books with gas station attendants. Someone went to check the tanks underground and then someone went to check on them and then someone went to check on that person and so on. Then finally someone figures out to cover their mouth and nose and discovers the fume leak. And the bodies. :smalleek:

Sotextli
2008-04-19, 07:31 PM
I think it was in Thailand, but I'm really not sure. Anyway, these kids were playing a "game" where they shoved the nozle of a tire pump up their anuses, and pumped themselves up. One kid got the bright idea to use a gas station air pump, which are quite a bit more powerful than the ones he had previous experiences with. Suffice it to say, he's no longer with us.

The part that makes this one funny for me is an old lady heard the bang and thought it was fireworks, so she went out screaming and yelling in the street, thinking there was some kind of celebration.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-04-19, 08:01 PM
One particular genius in my old neighborhood was found dead, lying on the engine of his car. Seems this dolt like to sniff...things. Paint, glue, markers. That deprivation of oxygen can give you a high, but also kills brain cells by the thousands. So it's no surprise that he had the ingenius idea to try sniffing freon, the chemical used in air conditioning. Since freon had become a chemical no longer for sale to the man on the street, and only to mechanics in bulk, he hooked up an old freon kit to the AC pump and started breathing in the icy vapors. Rumor has it he froze his lungs solid, although I'm more willing to believe he suffered a terminal case of brain freeze. :smalleek:

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-04-19, 09:15 PM
I remember that one. Did they actually shoot him? I thought they just all pulled guns on him and arrested him.

There's another, I forget the title, but it is an urban legend filed as an insurance claim.

So this guy has been working on an 80 ft. radio tower all day, climbing up and down the ladder with various tools. At the end of the day there are 300 lbs. of tools at the top of the tower, and he doesn't want to climb up and down again to carry them all down. So he puts them all in a barrel, rigs up a pulley system, and pulls it off from the bottom. He weighs about 220 lbs. Panicking, he reflexively still holds the rope as it lifts him off the ground. He meets the barrel halfway up and breaks a few bones, minor concussion. The barrel hits the ground and the bottom falls out, emptying all the tools, and he starts falling. Hitting the barrel halfway down he breaks a few more bones, and lands on the pile of tools at the bottom and, barely conscious, lets go of the rope.

This sounds like a modern rendition of an old midevil song Patty's Sick Note, found here (http://www.chivalry.com/cantaria/lyrics/sick-note.html), both lyrics and downloadable .mp3 of a performance of the song. It also has a link containing more interesting notes about the song, which is quite humerous.

Seriously, the best 'darwin award' I ever personally witnessed was a case of a motercyclist in a 'ninja bike', striping through traffic. Now then, for those who are not familiar with what striping is, allow me to explain. You see, the bike was a slender thing, and was able to fit between the cars in the lanes by driving on the stripes deleniating them. In this particular instance, however, the traffic was stop-and-crawl because of an accident up ahead. So the motercycalist, apparently, gets it in his bright head to go striping at stupidly rediculous speeds, then goes around the cop car with the lights going, only to hit the vehicles involved in the wreck, and go flying. I mean literally, he flew high enough I actually saw the body midair over the vehicle ahead of me. I can only assume he was dead, I didn't have the stomach to actually look for myself.

ForzaFiori
2008-04-19, 10:25 PM
I can think of several favorites.
there are the people who played russian rulette with a semi automatic pistol (which automatically loads itself)

the scoutmaster who, while demonstrating ax safety, showed what happened when you take a glancing blow by splitting his kneecap.

The man who wanted to know how quickly propane spread, so shot a propane tank with a bb gun, waited a minute, then walked towards it with a lit match.

Serpentine
2008-04-20, 12:18 AM
A lot of them I don't really like, since they just look like horrible luck instead of actual stupidity (eg the sheep one).I'm pretty sure that in the "rules" for the Darwin Awards mention that mere bad luck doesn't count. Of course, that doesn't mean that some get on there, but I think they at least shouldn't (shouldn't) win.

I think it was in Thailand, but I'm really not sure. Anyway, these kids were playing a "game" where they shoved the nozle of a tire pump up their anuses, and pumped themselves up. One kid got the bright idea to use a gas station air pump, which are quite a bit more powerful than the ones he had previous experiences with. Suffice it to say, he's no longer with us.My wood tech teacher would keep telling us this story about how a boy decided to stick the pressurised air hose (pressurised air was used for cleaning up and stuff, there were hoses all around the room) in another boy's arse, and ended up exploding his colon, causing him to live in extreme discomfort for the rest of his life. Of course, half the room would snigger every time he brought it up...

Mattarias, King.
2008-04-20, 12:35 AM
I find the best the guy who attached a jetplane booster to his car and tried to go speeding.

He ended up flying 15 mins after he plain burned his brakes and tires, smashed into a steep hill thing cliff thing where police assumed it was an airplane crash, only there was a car steering wheel in it. :smallbiggrin:

My girlfriend's uncle actually did this. And lived*. :smalleek: ..And that's not the craziest thing he's done, I hear.

*His car didn't, though. He slowed down to about 100mph by the time he reached the end of the road.

H. Zee
2008-04-20, 02:39 AM
Without a shadow of a doubt, my favourite one has got to be the Honourable Mention, Lawn Chair Larry (http://darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1998-11.html). It sounds ridiculous and impossible, but it's actually "Confirmed by Darwin" and there are photographs of him in the air.

The Darwin Awards are hilarious, but make me wonder why on earth homo sapiens means 'wise man.'

Inhuman Bot
2008-04-20, 08:12 PM
That last one seems more sad then funny... I really sit and think about why people do stuff like this.

Cuddly
2008-04-20, 09:38 PM
Most of these aren't Darwin awards, since they didn't actually happen. They're more properly termed "urban legend", like this one:

or this one:

I like the one where the guy turns on cruise control on his new RV and falls asleep, thinking that if cruise control was on it would guide his car around turns. Luckily he was driving in the desert on a long, straight road. Eventually he hit a turn and naturally, his RV tumbled off the side of the road. He sued the company that made the RV for not specifying that cruise control is not, in fact, auto pilot.

Bhu
2008-04-21, 12:07 AM
My favorite was an honorable mention i nthe slush pile about some drunken russian teachers putting a light bulb in their mouth but now i cant seem to find it.

SilentNight
2008-04-21, 08:59 AM
There was also one about a teenage boy who stole a vintage WWII pistol and tried to rob a convenience store and shoot the clerk, the gun didn't work. WHen he looked down the barrel, the cap finally went off and killed him.

There is a whole family of awards like this but this one inparticular is quite sad.

sktarq
2008-04-21, 06:51 PM
Faulty Aim Fatal
2002 Darwin Award Nominee
Confirmed True by Darwin
(7 March 2002, Colorado) When Gerald was pulled over by police for erratic driving, he decided it was better to flee from the stolen car on foot, rather than face possible jail time for a parole violation. This was the first of two successive mental lapses. Gerald's actual thoughts are unknown, but *may* have been something like this: "The officers are only suspicious and alert now... I'll make them hot, sweaty, tired, and angry by leading them on a wild chase through dark alleys and fields."
During the subsequent foot chase, Gerald attempted to dissuade officers from the pursuit by firing a 9mm Ruger semiautomatic handgun blindly over his shoulder. This was the second illustration of a potential mental deficiency. "Officers are running behind me. They have guns. I have a gun! They have eyes in the front of their heads, so they can see to aim at me. I don't have eyes in the back of my head, so I'll fire wildly behind me and see what happens!"

Unfortunately, Gerald appears to have been one of those folks who can't chew gum and walk at the same time. Or at least he couldn't flee and fire at the same time. While discharging the weapon over his shoulder, Gerald managed to shoot himself in the head with his own gun, bringing the chase to a sudden conclusion.

Four shots were fired, none by the officers, who found Gerald's pistol next to his fallen body. Gerald was transported to a local hospital where he expired the following day, thus removing a set of genes deficient in both judgment and coordination from the gene pool.

This left me in hysterics for the last hour.

Oh and that Six Egyptians drowning trying to get the chicken one. Confirmed. The chiken survived too.

13_CBS
2008-04-21, 08:49 PM
As funny as the Darwin Awards are, though, I can't help but remember that these are real people dying.

Meh. Best to remove them from the gene pool.

SilentNight
2008-04-23, 08:45 AM
Faulty Aim Fatal
2002 Darwin Award Nominee
Confirmed True by Darwin
(7 March 2002, Colorado) When Gerald was pulled over by police for erratic driving, he decided it was better to flee from the stolen car on foot, rather than face possible jail time for a parole violation. This was the first of two successive mental lapses. Gerald's actual thoughts are unknown, but *may* have been something like this: "The officers are only suspicious and alert now... I'll make them hot, sweaty, tired, and angry by leading them on a wild chase through dark alleys and fields."
During the subsequent foot chase, Gerald attempted to dissuade officers from the pursuit by firing a 9mm Ruger semiautomatic handgun blindly over his shoulder. This was the second illustration of a potential mental deficiency. "Officers are running behind me. They have guns. I have a gun! They have eyes in the front of their heads, so they can see to aim at me. I don't have eyes in the back of my head, so I'll fire wildly behind me and see what happens!"

Unfortunately, Gerald appears to have been one of those folks who can't chew gum and walk at the same time. Or at least he couldn't flee and fire at the same time. While discharging the weapon over his shoulder, Gerald managed to shoot himself in the head with his own gun, bringing the chase to a sudden conclusion.

Four shots were fired, none by the officers, who found Gerald's pistol next to his fallen body. Gerald was transported to a local hospital where he expired the following day, thus removing a set of genes deficient in both judgment and coordination from the gene pool.

This left me in hysterics for the last hour.

Oh and that Six Egyptians drowning trying to get the chicken one. Confirmed. The chiken survived too.
That is a great one, I had forgotten about it. The chicken one is acutally in my first post.

Player_Zero
2008-04-23, 09:31 AM
As funny as the Darwin Awards are, though, I can't help but remember that these are real people dying.

Meh. Best to remove them from the gene pool.

I don't think you're supposed to find them funny... Or maybe it's just me and my 'holier-than-thou' morality...

SoD
2008-04-23, 10:21 AM
I find them funny. Some of them at least.

(1996, Rhode Island) Portsmouth police charged Gregory Rosa, 25, with a string of vending machine robberies in January. He was captured when he inexplicably fled from police when they spotted him loitering around a vending machine. Suspicions were confirmed when he later tried to post $400 bail in coins.

Honourable Mention.

SilentNight
2008-04-23, 10:05 PM
I don't think you're supposed to find them funny... Or maybe it's just me and my 'holier-than-thou' morality...

That would be your morality my friend. They have left my in stiches on several occaisions.

Slapstick comedy is only funny when we don't see the person's pain. When you get closer though, and can see the look on a man who's just been hit by a cinderblock, it ceases to be funny. And starts getting sad.
I think this is the reason why Darwin awards don't include pictures. No one would buy them if they saw a picture of the guy who blew off his own nads with a dry-ice bomb. Or one of the numerous "Looked down the barrel of a miss-fireing gun" winners.

Edan
2008-04-23, 11:25 PM
My Favorite (http://darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1998-14.html)

Summary: A scientist studying a specific illness linked it to the sting of a toxic jellyfish. So he goes looking for it. He catches one, then stings himself to prove his hypothesis. But, in order to fully remove his genes, he stings his 14 year old son as well. They both contract a serious illness as well as the life guard who saved them. They survived tho, but it was on honorable mention.

Bhu
2008-04-24, 02:11 AM

Well....their books are in the humor section of bookstores...

Serpentine
2008-04-24, 05:07 AM
It's amusing to read about the extremes of stupidity humans are capable of. Sheer stupidity is key. True tragedy doesn't count. Thus, the rules (http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/):

The candidate must suffer an astounding lapse of judgment.
The candidate's own gross ineptitude must be the cause of the incident that earns him the nomination.
The candidate must be capable of sound judgment.
Killing others: The death of innocent bystanders absolutely rules out a Darwin Award.Of course, the entries can be submitted by anyone, so there's always going to be some that don't adhere to these rules, but 1. There's always discussions going on about them, and 2. They might be on the site, but they're not eligible for a Darwin Award.

Caracol
2008-04-26, 01:38 PM
I don't know if it has been posted before, or if it's real (I can't remember where I read it, so no source=probably not true) but I'l post anyway.

A guy, for his own religious choice, decided to live in a small cell, without windows and with an ermetic closed door. He decided to never go out if not needed, and to eat only poor and simple food like canned beans and other canned vegetables.

Yes, you got it. HE DIED FOR HIS OWN FARTS. After a while, preoccupated by the lack of news from him, some people sent the firefighters to the cell.
The first firefighter passed out as he step into the room: he was hospitalized with a methan intoxication.
The guy was dead by days.

What does religion do sometimes...(All the times actually)

Icewalker
2008-04-26, 01:56 PM
There is a similar one which is a Darwin award, where a guy eats a lot of cabbage and stuff and closes all his windows and the like.

SurlySeraph
2008-04-26, 08:48 PM
@Caracol: If he'd sealed himself in the room, he must have wanted to die in any case. Dying from methane poisoning is slightly less painful than suffocation, anyway. Also, don't insult religion in general, or I will place poisonous snakes in your sock drawer as vengeance against your blasphemy. :smallyuk:

In any case, I completely forgot to post my favorite one. Running of the Bulls (http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2000-20.html). A woman goes to the running of the bulls, opens the gate early... and just stands there, trying to get a good camera angle.

Icewalker
2008-04-26, 09:30 PM
http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/tradition.jpg

SilentNight
2008-04-27, 10:30 PM
http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/tradition.jpg

True dat. I must track down this poster and put it in my house.