PDA

View Full Version : Midnight- A truelly heroic adventure?

Ashheart
2008-04-17, 07:12 PM
Hi everyone,

I have recently started playing a new campaing that is set in a world with a very interesting background.

This world has been cut of from the other planes and the gods by the corruption of a fallen evil.
This evil, called the shadow, has taken over nearly everything in the world and the characters play totally heroic characters that gain bonusses enormesly higher compared to "normal" 3.5 DnD rules.
The downside is easy:Evil is winning...Weapons are illegal (you can have them, but the cityguard are looking for them), same with armour and spellcasting.
So pretty much being a PC is punisheble by death.

It's a very cool setting to play in, but the rules of Midnight are a little fuzzy.
So I was hoping the rule lawyers here would look at the link below and tell me what they think.

Also, I would encourage everyone to look into the campaing setting and think about playing a game in the world of Aryth. I can tell you, it's a whole lot of fun!

http://darknessfalls.leaderdesslok.com/index.htm a fan site

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/midnight.html the official site

RagnaroksChosen
2008-04-18, 09:55 AM
Hi everyone,

I have recently started playing a new campaing that is set in a world with a very interesting background.

This world has been cut of from the other planes and the gods by the corruption of a fallen evil.
This evil, called the shadow, has taken over nearly everything in the world and the characters play totally heroic characters that gain bonusses enormesly higher compared to "normal" 3.5 DnD rules.
The downside is easy:Evil is winning...Weapons are illegal (you can have them, but the cityguard are looking for them), same with armour and spellcasting.
So pretty much being a PC is punisheble by death.

It's a very cool setting to play in, but the rules of Midnight are a little fuzzy.
So I was hoping the rule lawyers here would look at the link below and tell me what they think.

Also, I would encourage everyone to look into the campaing setting and think about playing a game in the world of Aryth. I can tell you, it's a whole lot of fun!

http://darknessfalls.leaderdesslok.com/index.htm a fan site

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/midnight.html the official site

I'm a big fan of Midnight. What did you want to know about it?
as far as brokeness if can be rediculously powerfull pcs. and at the same time monsters are rediculously overpowerd. It's an interesting balance.

Oeryn
2008-04-18, 11:56 AM
I've looked over the websites before, and the setting seems really interesting. I've been tempted to run a game in that world, but I mainly play online, and I haven't seen a lot of support for it.

Is it worth pickin' up the books and such? (They seem a little expensive.)

How different are the mechanics? Is it still basically a d20 system, with Hit Points and Armor Class and the whole bit? How much of a switch is it, rules-wise, from 3.5 D&D?

TheDarkOne
2008-04-18, 01:35 PM
It's a cool campaign setting, I've only played in it a couple times, the mechanics are very close to standard d20. Also, they're making a movie (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/midnight/index.html) of it.

Fawsto
2008-04-18, 01:56 PM
In my OP it has one of the best background ideas. I like to think about it like: "You know Lord of The Rings? Well, Sauron won. What are you going to do, PCs?".

Things are that it is the most Dark scenario around. I has the mood of very serious and interesting adventures. I have mostly all supplements for it, but I have not read them all yet...

I am on some propaganda here, if you guys have some spare time, please take a look on the thread linked to my sig and coment it. Thank ya in advance.

Ashheart
2008-04-18, 06:47 PM
Well it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one enjoying this setting.I can tell you: It's not that big in Holland (nothing much is...).

For the people who haven't play it yet, the main rule difference is that a lot of the magic system is feat based. so any class can gain spellcasting.The "Downside"? No paladin, monk or ranger. THey are replaced by non-spellcasting variants of those classes.

Everything is slightly more powerfull to help balance the HUGE opposition, and Pcs gain something called heroic paths, that give a bonus each lv. you gain.

My question here is mainly this:

Me and my party are kinda playtesting the rules of midnight and we are finding the channeller class and magic in general a little unclear and we're having difficulty combining it with the Complete serie and PHB2 which we are also using.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this system (and class) that will help me and my party, and what were your experiences with the system?

I'd thank you for any and all help and again point to the links for people who haven't try midnight yet.

Creeps
2008-04-18, 08:17 PM
I love Midnight. I'm a big fan of bleak. Sadly, most of my players are more into the escapist "We're Awesome" ideal of gameplay so getting them to play anything dark, miserable and doomed is rather...difficult.

Kizara
2008-04-18, 08:33 PM
I love Midnight. I'm a big fan of bleak. Sadly, most of my players are more into the escapist "We're Awesome" ideal of gameplay so getting them to play anything dark, miserable and doomed is rather...difficult.

You might try dangling the apparent large amounts of PC power in the setting in front of them. People like that don't want gritty, they might go for dark/post-apoc play though.