PDA

View Full Version : Inn Names

Lerky
2008-04-17, 07:16 PM
okay Imagine:
you and your adventuring party have been wandering for days. You've had nothing but trail rations (jerky, dried fruit, and nuts). You've been sleeping on the cold hard ground of the wilderness for days and your feet ache of walking. Finally a town is in sight! When you get to the town there are Inns lined up in front of you! (how lucky can you get!) now the the only problem is, which Inn. You have a lot of money so you're not worried about cost and each Inn looks equally good from the outside. Here are the names of the Inns:
Winking Ale Inn

Jovial Wander Inn

Sleeping Cyclops Taproom

Yowling Dwarf Inn

Brass Hippogriff Hall

Stone Troll Tavern

Hungry Goblin Alehouse

Dancing Fox Lodge

Scarlett Flask Taproom

Laughing Sage Inn

Leaping Flame Tavern

Blue Flood Lodge

Sleeping Rouge Barroom

Griphin Hall

Flying Hippogriff Inn

Iron Tankard Lodge

Sleeping Lynx Inn

Savage Centaur Inn

Mystic Wanderer Meadhall

Pale Fist Guesthouse

Blue Bard Inn

Seven Dragon Resthouse

Which do you decide to go to first.
Make sure to give a reason and if you just like the name, just type that:smallbiggrin:

Solo
2008-04-17, 07:22 PM
I cast Leomund's Luxurious Loveshack and proceed to have a good time.

mikeejimbo
2008-04-17, 07:22 PM
I like Jovial Wander Inn for the pun ("Wander in").

Lerky
2008-04-17, 07:28 PM
I like Jovial Wander Inn for the pun ("Wander in").

Hey! I didn't see that good spot check

ThePhantom
2008-04-17, 07:31 PM
Blue Bard for me

Revanmal
2008-04-17, 07:33 PM
Why are there so many inns in one town? You'd think some of em would go out of business.

Mystic Wanderer Meadhall

Because the name implies magic and barbarians, and interesting things can come of that particular combination.

Quietus
2008-04-17, 07:34 PM
It'd depend on the character, really - someone more jovial and melee-like would probably prefer one of the more savage sounding places (Savage Centaur, Sleeping Cyclops, Iron tankard, etc), while my follower of Fharlanghn, for example, would prefer the Jovial Wander Inn.

Lizardfolk Lich
2008-04-17, 07:38 PM
Brass Hippogriff. Just oozes Dungeons and Dragons.

Citizen Joe
2008-04-17, 07:39 PM
I'd go into the Sleeping Rouge Barroom and tell the guy, "Hey, the Laughing Sage sent me. They said 'Rouge means red. Learn to spell.'"

Then I'd go to Griphin Hall and tell them the same thing...

esorscher
2008-04-17, 07:40 PM
Griphin Hall.

Because I love to be Grip'Hin the ladies.

Also, because the sign is misspelled. That makes it seem like the people within are simple folk.

Szilard
2008-04-17, 07:40 PM
I personally prefer On The Way Inn, usually on the way through a dungeon.

Ascension
2008-04-17, 07:56 PM
As an illiterate barbarian, I recognize none of the script. Instead, I look for what matters. First, I scan to see if I can spot any loose women around. Failing that, I look for a commoner to intimidate in order to find out where the best booze is (my "gather information" stinks, so I have to gather it in my own way). Failing that, I go to the one that's closest, because my feet are tired.

senrath
2008-04-17, 08:03 PM
Either the Dancing Fox Lodge, 'cause I like foxes, or Seven Dragon Resthouse. If it's good enough for seven dragons, it's good enough for me!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-04-17, 08:39 PM
I ignore the taverns, and head to a brothel.

Avor
2008-04-17, 08:43 PM
If I spend several days traveling, walking, eating trail rations, and sleeping on rocks.

Kinky Kiki's is the place I want to go to.

Mind you that is why I travel in style, comfy covered wagon, warm blankets and furs, a small stove, and well stocked mini pantry and wine rack.

7 dragons if it's in a important place, and you got a good back story for it. Blue bard, if there is accualy a bard with it.

Xuincherguixe
2008-04-17, 08:45 PM
None of them, they all sound like they have silly names. Instead I swipe some food from a merchant (It's not like we got rich by paying for things!), and wait till nightfall. And switch around all the signs.

Oh, and for no particular reason, I leave a bunch of fake footprints, in red paint.

Prometheus
2008-04-17, 08:48 PM
Mmm. Hungry Goblin Alehouse sounds like it has some good food...I'm pretty sure Scarlett Flask Taproom is actually a brothel...Laughing Sage Inn and Leaping Flame Tavern sounds like a good place to go for a good story...Dancing Fox Lodge and Yowling Dwarf Inn just sound fun. Who am I kidding, it's a tossup between The Hungry Goblin and the Scarlett Flask!

I think the names are from this Tavern Name Generator (http://www.paper-dragon.com/fantasyland/tavernnamegen.html)

I was thinking about making one myself when I saw this thread, but it occurred to me that the existence of such is probably the reason why this thread exists.

Saihyol
2008-04-17, 09:07 PM
Blue Bard or Red Flask - as both suggest illicit services.

My ever ready stand by Inn names as a GM:
The Laughing Hound (dog running off with the baker's sausages)
The Startled Gnome (a gnome who's just been stabbed in the rump by a minotaur's horns)

Mewtarthio
2008-04-17, 09:59 PM
I'd get food at the Hungry Goblin, because that place sounds like it's got some good, hearty meals. Then I'd actually rest at the Seven Dragon Resthouse, because that place sounds sophisticated and refined.

Icewalker
2008-04-17, 10:15 PM
I'd go with Brass Hippogriff Hall, as it sounds like the most upscale.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-17, 10:23 PM
Mystic Wanderer for me.

Falconer
2008-04-17, 10:24 PM
Dancing Fox Lodge because, like another poster said, foxes are awesome. And foxes that can dance, doubly so.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-04-17, 10:26 PM
*gates to Limbo*

ahhh... chaos.

Rutee
2008-04-17, 10:27 PM
I like "The Great Ungnome" myself.

Lerky
2008-04-17, 10:37 PM
heh. Ungnome, that's funny.
anyway we should have an update.
the most popular so far is:
Blue Bard Inn
&
Seven Dragon Resthouse.

so far in second is:
Jovial Wander Inn, Brass Hippogriff Hall, Hungry Goblin Alehouse, Dancing Fox Lodge, Scarlett Flask Taproom, and Mystic Wanderer Meadhall (yes, those all got the same score)

in last is:
Laughing Sage Inn
&
Griphin Hall

If you haven't voted do so NOW!

ArenaManager
2008-04-17, 10:38 PM
The Stop Inn.

or, for the extra cheesy...

The Random Encounter.

Lerky
2008-04-17, 10:40 PM
The Stop Inn.

or, for the extra cheesy...

The Random Encounter.

use the ones in the list please:smallannoyed:

Lerky
2008-04-17, 10:46 PM
I should mention polls close staurday 12:01 AM

Talic
2008-04-17, 11:04 PM
Why? They're all so trope. It's way too formulaic.

<descriptive term> <Fantasy Reference> <Synonym for Bar>

With the exception of Griphin Inn, they all follow that pattern.

And Griphin Hall is just missing the descriptive term.

Lerky
2008-04-17, 11:07 PM
Why? They're all so trope. It's way too formulaic.

<descriptive term> <Fantasy Reference> <Synonym for Bar>

With the exception of Griphin Inn, they all follow that pattern.

And Griphin Hall is just missing the descriptive term.

uhhhh... is that a point for griphin inn or not?:smallconfused:

Talic
2008-04-17, 11:13 PM
No, it's a vote against each and every name up there, on the grounds that they all violate the "cliche" clause of my contract.

Lord Tataraus
2008-04-17, 11:17 PM
Scarlet Flask Taproom.

Why? It sounds upscale, but too upscale. Thus I can assume it is a brothel of sorts which is most likely lavish in that fake cheesy way and comfortable with some decent, uh, "waitresses".

Jayngfet
2008-04-17, 11:46 PM
scarlet flask, for the listed reason.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-18, 12:03 AM
Everything's Better Inn
Bed and Breakfast[/end sign]

Aquillion
2008-04-18, 12:42 AM
No, it's a vote against each and every name up there, on the grounds that they all violate the "cliche" clause of my contract.
Let's think up some better names.

The Last Mistake. I feel like I've heard this name somewhere, but I can't remember where.

The Outlands. Naming taverns after areas in the planes would probably be quite common. I'm not sure why anyone would name a tavern after the outlands, but there you have it.

Moradin's Hammer. A dwarf bar; the 'sign' is an actual war-hammer hanging from a peg. Bringing elves or half-orcs in is not recommended. Non-Dwarven mediums are advised to watch their head on the front door.

Time Stop. The sign has a picture of a broken clock on it. Probably popular with wizards.

Niknokitueu
2008-04-18, 01:08 AM
You also forgot the 'Dew Drop' Inn and the 'Come On' Inn.

I personally prefer the Dicsworld's Broken Drum - after all, you just can't beat it!

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

SurlySeraph
2008-04-18, 02:15 AM
As a fanatically moralistic paladin with tremendous respect for dwarves, I naturally start with the Iron Tankard Lodge. Failing that, I try the Leaping Flame Tavern; it might be full of pyromaniac sorcerers, but it might be full of purification-oriented clerics. After that, I'd go to the Pale Fist Guesthouse. There is at least a 50% chance that it is a trap full of vampires, but there is a 40% chance that it is attached to a monastery.

I would avoid the Scarlet Flask at all costs, and mutter angrily at people walking out of it as I pass by.

Rion
2008-04-18, 06:13 AM
Either Brass Hippogriff Hall, Griphin Hall or Seven Dragon Resthouse for me. Mostly it would depend on how the place looked, and would go for one that looks respectable or better suited for nobles (as in medieval nobles, not aristocrats)

Quincunx
2008-04-18, 06:53 AM
Whichever one has the nice roaring fire going and comfy couches in a semi-circle around it--it works in real life, it works in game. Don't remember the name, remember the fire, the song, and the line of patrons I had to weave around just to find the people I was supposed to meet there. In short, I refuse to answer your poll.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-18, 02:11 PM
Adventurer exclusive inn/tavern franchise: Snafubar. I LOVE the name.

hamishspence
2008-04-18, 02:21 PM
Big question is what the drinks will be called "Yeti's Breath" etc, and whether the sputter of the unfortunate drinker will be referred to as a Prismatic Spray.
:smallbiggrin:

FMArthur
2008-04-18, 03:11 PM
Pfft. Everyone knows the best place in town is always the Bards' Guild. ;)

But seriously, as a legendary Drunken Master, it is my solemn duty to stop by the Iron Tankard Lodge and get thoroughly smashed.

Frosty
2008-04-18, 03:35 PM
I'd go around looking until I either find a tavern named "The Broken Record" or "The Blushing Nymph"

ashmanonar
2008-04-18, 04:14 PM
As an illiterate barbarian, I recognize none of the script. Instead, I look for what matters. First, I scan to see if I can spot any loose women around. Failing that, I look for a commoner to intimidate in order to find out where the best booze is (my "gather information" stinks, so I have to gather it in my own way). Failing that, I go to the one that's closest, because my feet are tired.

Hear Hear.

You forgot "Make a scent check."

"I rolled a 20."

"You smell roasted turkey and herb potatoes from *points* that one."

This only works if you're a halfling Barb though.

Lord Ike
2008-04-18, 04:25 PM
dancing fox and blue bard for me

Suropej
2008-04-18, 04:59 PM
The Dancing Fox, not because of dancing foxes. I'm thinking more along the lines of Exotic Dancing "Foxes". *wink wink*nudge nudge*

senrath
2008-04-18, 05:03 PM
The Dancing Fox, not because of dancing foxes. I'm thinking more along the lines of Exotic Dancing "Foxes". *wink wink*nudge nudge*

Say no more, say no more?

And I admit, that was another reason I voted for the Dancing Fox earlier, in addition to the awesomeness that is the fox.

Swooper
2008-04-18, 05:07 PM
Depends on the character I was playing at the moment.

Baelphan the grey-elf conjurer/MotAO would probably go for the Seven Dragon Resthouse. Sounds quiet and fancy, the way he likes it.

Balthazar the human psion//warblade... right now, Stone Troll Tavern I think. He's short on cash right now, and it sounds cheap without sounding filthy. :smalltongue:

Sonia the human swordsage.. Sleeping Lynx Inn. Quiet, but not fancy.

Kabrain the Marshal/Hexblade//Dragonshaman... Hmm, Brass Hippogriff Hall. Although I can see him being just the type to go for the Scarlet Flask if he was in the mood for such.

3Power
2008-04-18, 05:14 PM
My Tavern/Inn in my most recent campaign was named the bearded elf, because it was a joint operation run by a dwarf (ales, beer) and an elf (wine, whiskey, etc).

OzymandiasVolt
2008-04-18, 08:01 PM
Aidan Sidhe would go to the Leaping Flame Tavern, because he's a hopeless pyromaniac. Plus he'd probably assume everyone would get the joke when it burned down.

Aquillion
2008-04-18, 08:45 PM
I personally prefer the Dicsworld's Broken Drum - after all, you just can't beat it!

Have Fun!
NiknokitueuWasn't its name changed to the Mended Drum?

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-04-18, 09:17 PM
okay Imagine:
you and your adventuring party have been wandering for days. You've had nothing but trail rations (jerky, dried fruit, and nuts). You've been sleeping on the cold hard ground of the wilderness for days and your feet ache of walking. Finally a town is in sight! When you get to the town there are Inns lined up in front of you! (how lucky can you get!) now the the only problem is, which Inn. You have a lot of money so you're not worried about cost and each Inn looks equally good from the outside.

Given all of this, why in Ao's name would I care what the inns are called? If I'm tired, I have enough money for any of them, and they all look equally good, why wouldn't I just go to the one closest to me? If it turns out to be infested with Evil, I'll just kill it all and not have to pay for the room; after all, if I try to go to a different inn, the evil's just going to follow me. Now get out of my way, Commoner, you're blocking the path to the inn.

Kizara
2008-04-18, 09:22 PM
I vote for The Raging Cliche.