PDA

View Full Version : Introducing a New PC...

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-17, 07:16 PM
Okay, so my D&D game is tomorrow.

Here's a bit of background:

A few (in-game) months back, the Elf Cleric of Nerull (Jaren) had been sent by his deity to wipe out a cult devoted to Orcus. He managed to convince the rest of the party to help him out, and they had a merry time wiping out worshippers of the Demon Prince of the Undead. They even slew Vicril Nugula, the head of the cult, with relative ease.

Here's what I had planned for tomorrow:

Since they left the temple, a Dybbuk (FCI) has possessed the corpse of the head cultist. Nerull only sees that the head cultist is walking about, and decides to send an Aleax (BoED) after Jaren. Whether Jaren defeats the Aleax or not, he will probably learn that his business is apparently unfinished. Jaren will probably want to hunt down Vicril after that.

Now, here's my problem:

Since I can never ensure that all of my players are going to attend any one game, a friend (we'll call him "Dennis") is usually present to play one of the characters in the event of an absence. Today, we decided that he deserves his own character, so we rolled him up a Shifter Barbarian, hailing from the forests to the southwest.

Does anyone have a good idea for how to introduce his character to the campaign?

FlyMolo
2008-04-17, 07:25 PM
Simple. The barbarian is also hunting Vicril, for whatever reason. Perhaps his father was kidnapped by him, and he's off to seek revenge. Cliched, but what the heck.

Maybe, as a barbarian, he's just along for the ride. He meets them in forest, and decides just to run with it.

StoryKeeper
2008-04-17, 07:32 PM
1. So you're all in this bar...
2. Hey, everyone remembers Dennis, our furry friend who's been extremely silent and unproductive despite being with us this entire time (wink.)
3. It would be easier if we knew more about his background, but perhaps he's being sacraficed by a newly established cult, and decides to team up with the PCs for revenge.

Meh... can you tell us anything about his background or motives? Otherwise, I can't really think of any good ways to introduce him.

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-17, 07:35 PM
Simple. The barbarian is also hunting Vicril, for whatever reason. Perhaps his father was kidnapped by him, and he's off to seek revenge. Cliched, but what the heck.

Maybe, as a barbarian, he's just along for the ride. He meets them in forest, and decides just to run with it.

While this would normally make for an easy addition, there are two factors in the campaign that prevent me from using it (thanks anyway, though).

1) Vicril's been dead for over a month. Sure, a Loumara's walking around in his body, but still...

2) The forest of which I speak is more than a hundred miles away.

Meh... can you tell us anything about his background or motives? Otherwise, I can't really think of any good ways to introduce him.

That's one of the problems. He's got the character's sheet made out, but, as far as I know, he hasn't even given the character a name.

Here's some info that might help:

The forest is dominated by lycanthropic tribes. Werewolves are the most predominant, but certain districts are ruled by werebears, wererats, wereboars, and what-have-you. There's even one area ruled by Lunar Ravagers.

Solo
2008-04-17, 07:45 PM
"Hi, I know you just randomly met me, but your group looks like it could use a barbarian."

"Well, you certainly seem trustworthy enough. Come along then."

StoryKeeper
2008-04-17, 07:49 PM
"Hi, I know you just randomly met me, but your group looks like it could use a barbarian."

"Well, you certainly seem trustworthy enough. Come along then."

A bit like this?

http://www.feartheboot.com/comic/default.aspx?c=37

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-17, 07:51 PM
A bit like this?

http://www.feartheboot.com/comic/default.aspx?c=37

Actually, I think he was referencing The Gamers. Truth be told, though, I'm trying to stay away from those kinds of introductions.

StoryKeeper
2008-04-17, 07:55 PM
I get that, which is why I wish you knew more about his character's background. If he's going to be reasonably tied into the story line, you usually tie into his background or into something that's developed in-game. Since you don't knwo his background and this is his first session (er.. his character's first), you have to either decide a certain amount of at least his recent background, or else think up something that could be applied to just about any character and still make sense.

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-17, 08:57 PM
I agree that it's important for him to have a background for his character.

Sadly, I can't contact him 'til tomorrow, so I've no clue as to whether he's written a background for himself or has just been watching cartoons.

Mando Knight
2008-04-17, 10:42 PM
It could be a conflict like this one... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58oLpa496aI) just replace Marth and Meta Knight with your PCs and the Primids with cultists/other common enemies...

... or the party could post wanted ads in the nearest town for a final party member (the fights are going to get tougher...), and the Barbarian applies...

Saihyol
2008-04-17, 10:45 PM
1) Intro by friend of the group - Bob sent me to help you...
2) The freed captive - Slavers cross the party's path just as Barbarian kicks off some rage action having just woken up from the drugs they used to capture him - he's doing well, but there are a few to many for him to be sure of victory without help...
3) Characters talking to <insert NPC> looking for more information get told about the badass dude who is currently sleeping off his victory celebration in the yard of the tavern - apparently he went through 10 of <insert bad guy>'s minions like a scythe.

The false intro can be tough. The key is give the players an opening to want to work with the new guy, but try not to intro the new guy as a victim - some display of prowess is a good way to set up that the new guy has the skills.

Ps. StoryKeeper thanks for intro to Fear the Boot :smallsmile:

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-19, 11:06 AM
We decided to put the game off 'til next week.

Anybody got any good ideas for something the Aleax can Shapechange into? I was thinking either some kind of giant, or perhaps a creature native to Carceri... preferably something that won't completely overpower the poor cleric.