PDA

View Full Version : Theory about Haley....

Beholder1995
2008-04-17, 07:45 PM
If anyone's either figured out what Haley Starshine was saying during that period of time she was speaking gibberish, or just checked on google and read what other people figured out (my strategy), you'll know that the last thing she trys to reveal to Elan while on thier "date" was "I'm not exactly what you'd call-" I'm not the first to speculate she was going to say "Human". Frankly, I think she's either an Elf or a Half-Elf. Why? Here's three good reasons:

1. Her friendship with Vaarsuvius
2. Vaarsuvius refuses to bunk with anyone else
3. One of here mind frames had Elf ears.

Granted, the last one was somewhat weak, but I think It's a plausible theory. If you think otherwise or have any other ideas, please tell me. :smallsmile:

Kish
2008-04-17, 07:51 PM
"--a good person."

verloren
2008-04-17, 07:54 PM
Actually it's all weak.

1. That's a little specist. An Elf can only be friends with another Elf?
2. She bunks with Hayley because she is friends with her
3. If she was an elf, or even half of one, then she would have the elf ears in the real world, not just in her imagination.

I'm still a part of the group that says human. Because of the linear guild's whole opposite thing. Rich did say in one of the books that there is another, still secret, part to Hayley and her evil counterpart.

Revanmal
2008-04-17, 07:55 PM
This must be about the 2,000,000th thread about this.

Blarg I say! Blarg!

To quote The rules of the OOTS forum:

3. Your theory has been suggested before. Really.

RtBT
2008-04-17, 08:00 PM
If anyone's either figured out what Haley Starshine was saying during that period of time she was speaking gibberish, or just checked on google and read what other people figured out (my strategy), you'll know that the last thing she trys to reveal to Elan while on thier "date" was "I'm not exactly what you'd call-" I'm not the first to speculate she was going to say "Human". Frankly, I think she's either an Elf or a Half-Elf. Why? Here's three good reasons:

1. Her friendship with Vaarsuvius
2. Vaarsuvius refuses to bunk with anyone else
3. One of here mind frames had Elf ears.

Granted, the last one was somewhat weak, but I think It's a plausible theory. If you think otherwise or have any other ideas, please tell me. :smallsmile:

problem with #3: The reason it had elf ears was because it was an elf. I guess they have higher wisdom checks n stuff =\

Nerd-o-rama
2008-04-17, 08:04 PM
problem with #3: The reason it had elf ears was because it was an elf. I guess they have higher wisdom checks n stuff =\It's because she respects Vaarsuvius, and associates V with intellect and reason. It's the same reason my inner voice of logic has pointy ears, except he's a Vulcan.

And no matter what your theory is, someone has suggested it before. "Elf" is admittedly less popular than "Tiefling" or "Aasimar", but it's well-known and just as baseless a speculation as all the others.

We don't know, you don't know, and you're not the first person to come up with it. Period.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-17, 08:24 PM
I stand on my theory:

Haley is part copper dragon, and is related to Girard Draketooth.

The Extinguisher
2008-04-17, 09:53 PM
I have expanded my theory into my ever growing world view of Oots.

Haley is an Aboleth. Or at least half-Aboleth.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-17, 09:59 PM
KILL THE N00B! Kill it for making another of these stupid threads!

Seriously people, lurk for a week before posting, you'll see about 3 of these.

Callista
2008-04-17, 10:12 PM
Be gracious--with the whole debacle over O-Chul, there hasn't been one in at least a month. You can't expect somebody to lurk for a month, and if they want to discuss the topic it's either this or thread necromancy.

brilliantlight
2008-04-17, 10:21 PM
I have expanded my theory into my ever growing world view of Oots.

Haley is an Aboleth. Or at least half-Aboleth.

How did you get that theory?:confused:

Renegade Paladin
2008-04-17, 10:22 PM
The same place everyone else gets their theories about Haley. Nowhere.

The Extinguisher
2008-04-17, 10:27 PM
Simple. Everyone is an Aboleth. Including, but not limited to, Qarr, Therkla, Miko, V's Gender and Sabine.

Tilian
2008-04-17, 10:28 PM
Totally a Cylon.

verloren
2008-04-18, 01:07 AM
I stand on my theory:

Haley is part copper dragon, and is related to Girard Draketooth.
That is by far the coolest theory I have ever seen! Look at Girad. Even his name screams dragon! I noticed they looked a little alike. But I wouldn't be shocked if every member of the order was somehow linked to the scribbles

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-18, 06:41 AM
That is by far the coolest theory I have ever seen! Look at Girad. Even his name screams dragon! I noticed they looked a little alike. But I wouldn't be shocked if every member of the order was somehow linked to the scribbles

Someone down in either "House of Horrors" or "House of Fanservice" drew gender bent Haley, and s/he looked almost identical to Girard. S/he was only missing the facial tattoo. So when she said she was a half-dragon way back in the day I thought it might be one of those "bluff 'em with the truth" moments.

Yeah, it's one of my pet theories, and it holds together pretty well.

Dragon48
2008-04-18, 07:36 AM
That's actually one of the best theories we had so far. (See: Therkla is Belkar and Miko's love child)

Eric
2008-04-18, 10:53 AM
Actually it's all weak.
1. That's a little specist. An Elf can only be friends with another Elf?
2. She bunks with Hayley because she is friends with her
3. If she was an elf, or even half of one, then she would have the elf ears in the real world, not just in her imagination.

I think it is just that Haley won't bunk with anyone else in the group apart from V (and now Elan) because

a) Roy would be going "don't think of the boobies"
b) Belkar would be going "boobies boobies booooobiiiieeeessss!!!!"
c) Durkon would be going "Nice tits, shame about the beard"

V is of no fixed gender and wouldn't be thinking about Haley nekkid in the bed next to her/him. V is not interested in the sex of another, either because V has no sex or because the marriage with another Elf (who may also be of no fixed gender) is all they want and need.

Rather like women like to be around gay men because they either

a) Know they are not going to get hit on
b) If they find themselves getting randy, they can fool themselves that they'll be able to get them back in the closet

Eric
2008-04-18, 10:54 AM
Simple. Everyone is an Aboleth. Including, but not limited to, Qarr, Therkla, Miko, V's Gender and Sabine.

Them naughty Aboleths, getting it down and dirty withe EVERYTHING!!!!

Shikka bow wow wow...

Beholder1995
2008-04-18, 01:36 PM
No offense, but your reply doesn't make much sense, considering my point was about V wanting to bunk with Haley, not Haley wanting to bunk with V. Also, I heard about the Haley-as-a-Dragon theory before I even started posting, and I thought it was pretty ridiculous. I mean, it would make a lot of sense- except for the question of why Haley doesn't just revert back to dragon form and kick all the Bad Guy's collective butts. Especially since she would have every logical reason to do exactly that. Give me one good reason (besides some kind of spell that keeps her in human form) why she wouldn't just turn back into a copper dragon or whatever whenever the team needed heavy firepower. (I.E. The Azure City battle) :smallannoyed:

Holammer
2008-04-18, 01:37 PM
Been awhile since we had a Haley=Aasimar thread, heh.

I think she's a regular human, her father taken hostage by the very man that is her boyfriends father. She tries to gather enough money for the ransom... and that's pretty much it.
I'm not gonna spoiler tag that btw.

Beholder1995
2008-04-18, 01:39 PM
Wow. I had the exact same idea. That is- that Haley's dad is imprisoned by Elan's father. Jinks. (Or is it Jinx?)

Morty
2008-04-18, 01:41 PM
Give me one good reason (besides some kind of spell that keeps her in human form) why she wouldn't just turn back into a copper dragon or whatever whenever the team needed heavy firepower. (I.E. The Azure City battle) :smallannoyed:

Because it was never about Haley being a dragon, but half-dragon?
This theory doesn't make much sense, but it's by far more plausible than Haley being an elf. And why would she hide her elfish or half-elfish nature, anyway?

Holammer
2008-04-18, 01:53 PM
Wow. I had the exact same idea. That is- that Haley's dad is imprisoned by Elan's father. Jinks. (Or is it Jinx?)

I present evidence as well:
0131 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html)(The letter about her father)
0050 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html)(Elan and Nale's father/mother discussed)

Lord? General? Connect the goddamn dots! :smallsmile:

Jinx it is, for Scooby-Doo malarkey, try Jinkies!

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-18, 02:20 PM
No offense, but your reply doesn't make much sense, considering my point was about V wanting to bunk with Haley, not Haley wanting to bunk with V. Also, I heard about the Haley-as-a-Dragon theory before I even started posting, and I thought it was pretty ridiculous. I mean, it would make a lot of sense- except for the question of why Haley doesn't just revert back to dragon form and kick all the Bad Guy's collective butts. Especially since she would have every logical reason to do exactly that. Give me one good reason (besides some kind of spell that keeps her in human form) why she wouldn't just turn back into a copper dragon or whatever whenever the team needed heavy firepower. (I.E. The Azure City battle) :smallannoyed:

Who can truly understand the ways of the Dragon? :smallwink:

Actually, I don't know if she is "half-dragon," or just has draconic blood in her... Or not at all, and it's just another red herring.

Sorcerors are supposed to have a dragon in their family tree somewhere, WAY back there. But they get magic as well, something Haley doesn't have, or at least hasn't ever revealed.

Keep in mind though, Elan has magic and if he actually thought about it he could be quite powerful. Afterall, he used an illusion or a Celestial Lion, when he's actually high enough level to summon a real Celestial Lion! The Giant tends to underpower his characters rather than max them out their abilities.

Roy might also have some magical abilities as well... Eugene says Roy will be back to cantrips within a week, which implies Roy may be able to at least shoot electricity from his fingers, which could have been useful, had he known.

As for the V and Haley sleeping together er, sharing a room, there could be several reasons:

V is male, and gay. Haley knows V won't be "putting the moves on" on her in the middle of the night.
V is male, and straight. Haley knows V took a vow of celebacy, and doesn't have a "What happens in Azure City, stays in Azure City" sub-clause. Or V isn't ruled by his testosterone like the rest of the team.
V is female, and straight.
V is female, and is gay. "What happens in the tavern room, stays in the tavern room!" :smallbiggrin:

OtOoPCs Spoiler
V and Haley struck up their friendship just before they teamed up with Roy. They may have had a good deal of time to talk to each other, and Haley was the one who knew V was married.

Long before the rest of the team, and by the time the subject came up, they had been adventuring together for several months! I'd think if you worked, lived, shared treasure and fought along side someone for months, you might know something about your team mates lives outside of work?

FoE
2008-04-18, 02:26 PM
My theory is that Everyone is Jesus in Purgatory. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EveryoneIsJesusInPurgatory)

Actually, the answer could be more mundane: her secret could be that she's not a member of any Thieves' Guild, after quitting the one in Greysky City. She lied to Roy about it, so it stands to reason she didn't tell Vaarsuvius about it either.

In any case, it seems pointless debating it, since Word of God (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WordOfGod) will overrule any of our theories.

Beholder1995
2008-04-18, 02:35 PM
Because it was never about Haley being a dragon, but half-dragon?
This theory doesn't make much sense, but it's by far more plausible than Haley being an elf. And why would she hide her elfish or half-elfish nature, anyway?

Well, I suppose that's true, but why would she hide her Draconic or Half-Draconic nature? :smallamused: In any case, it doesn't really matter considering that it's all based on the idea that she said "Human", which is just one of some gajillion words in the English language. (And the fact that I'm saying this is made stranger by the fact that I started this thread in the first place) For all we know, she could've said "a purple polka-dot atlantic sailfish". Still....

Draco Dracul
2008-04-19, 10:38 PM
Maybe Haley was trying to say "Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call striaght." This would both continue the previous two statements she made ("I kissed a girl once." and "OK, OK, more than once!") and possiblely be a greater conection to Sabine (who was shown trying to sudce miko).

Swordlol
2008-04-19, 11:44 PM
Godwin's Law?

Ghastly Epigram
2008-04-19, 11:49 PM
Maybe Haley was trying to say "Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call striaght." This would both continue the previous two statements she made ("I kissed a girl once." and "OK, OK, more than once!") and possiblely be a greater conection to Sabine (who was shown trying to sudce miko).

That does not strike me as the sort of thing Haley would be that afraid of telling people.

There are many, many possibilities for what it could realistically be, though personally I rather like Surfing's theory, regardless of how plausible it may actually be. :smallcool:

EDIT @ ^Swordlol: Whut? Nobody has brought up anything of the sort.

Draco Dracul
2008-04-20, 12:37 AM
That does not strike me as the sort of thing Haley would be that afraid of telling people.

There are many, many possibilities for what it could realistically be, though personally I rather like Surfing's theory, regardless of how plausible it may actually be. :smallcool:

EDIT @ ^Swordlol: Whut? Nobody has brought up anything of the sort.

Haley having Draconic ansestry (I believe that is Surfing's theory) would be really cool and if that were correct would she try to gain the Dragon Disciple Prestige Class?

David Argall
2008-04-20, 02:38 AM
It could be most any word. So if we are looking for one she would fear to say to Elan in particular, how about "single"?
Arranged marriages or engagements should be quite common in such a setting and Haley could easily have a husband or fiance she has never or rarely seen. Presumably she can get out of it, but she would have to worry that Elan will not accept that.
The primary objection to this might be that we have already had a married lover, and our writer tends to avoid repeats. But a new slant may make it acceptable.

Jayngfet
2008-04-20, 02:47 AM
haley could be anything, aasimar, tiefling, celestial in disguise, fiend in disguise, doppleganger and the real haley died, sabines twin sister...

...hell, maybe it already happened, sabine/nale=elan/haley.

hell, she may even be multiclass

Niknokitueu
2008-04-20, 03:04 AM
It could be most any word. So if we are looking for one she would fear to say to Elan in particular, how about "single"?
Arranged marriages or engagements should be quite common in such a setting and Haley could easily have a husband or fiance she has never or rarely seen. Presumably she can get out of it, but she would have to worry that Elan will not accept that.
The primary objection to this might be that we have already had a married lover, and our writer tends to avoid repeats. But a new slant may make it acceptable.
The only problem with that theory is that it would have such an effect on the comic that it would have had to have been resolved in the intervening 200 comics...

To my mind it had to be a throw-away statement (ie something we could easily see in Haley but that she would not want to reveal). Points to it being more likely to be 'a theif' or 'a good person', rather than 'single' or 'human'

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-20, 12:57 PM
The only problem with that theory is that it would have such an effect on the comic that it would have had to have been resolved in the intervening 200 comics...

To my mind it had to be a throw-away statement (ie something we could easily see in Haley but that she would not want to reveal). Points to it being more likely to be 'a theif' or 'a good person', rather than 'single' or 'human'

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Um... I don't know where you're going with that...

Spoilered only because you spoilered...
Everyone knows she's a thief/rogue, that's what she was hired to do! Elan even helped her pick the cell door lock.
As for a good person, she's been that all along. True, she's ranged from goodish to damn good, but she really hasn't strayed from Chaotic Good.
The reason for my theory is I believe she was bluffing with the truth. Best bluff there ever was! :smallbiggrin:

billwill91
2008-04-20, 07:47 PM
my theory is that haley is really vash from star trek, roy is picard, elan is wes crusher, durkon is worf, v is deanna/riker mixed and belkar is allan from tron