PDA

View Full Version : OotS Game?

Grug
2008-04-17, 09:27 PM
I feel like making an OotS mini-game with Multimedia Fusion. If anyone can supply me with the art, like frames of animations for Roy, I can do the rest. If you want to help out, try to keep them to a scale, and have Roy's waist and legs separate from the rest of him.

Calinero
2008-04-17, 09:55 PM
That sounds neat. I'm afraid I'm no great shakes with making video games or animation, but be sure to post a link if you ever get one made!

Grug
2008-04-17, 10:00 PM
It would actually be pretty easy. I just need some art (making your own sprites is tough). Although I should say that the program I'm going to use is very weak. The enemies involved won't really have any AI. All I can make them do is patrol a path, run mindlessly, or stand and shoot. Could still be fun, though. All I need is Roy (or other member of the Order) and a goblin and I can whip up a quick demo. Make sure there are death animations as well.

Revanmal
2008-04-17, 10:06 PM
Have you tried Game Maker? It's free unregistered, and not too expensive anyway. It's not the best but my game design class uses it regularly and it can do some impressive stuff.

http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/

Morgan Wick
2008-04-17, 10:24 PM
Have you considered the possible legal implications of using Rich's artwork without his permission?

Revanmal
2008-04-17, 10:26 PM
Well, if he draws the sprites himself or uses someone else's with their permission its more like fan art than plagiarism. I think. o0

It's really complicated.

Zeitgeist
2008-04-17, 10:27 PM
*waits for somebody to share their "flawless" knowledge of copyright laws to say how "illegal" this is*

:smalltongue:

Really, cool idea though.

EDIT: Aw, too late.

Grug
2008-04-17, 10:39 PM
Well, if I credit the characters to Rich, and use it without profit, I'm pretty sure it falls under Fair Use.

†Seer†
2008-04-17, 11:33 PM
I know someone tried to make a spin-off comic and got shut down.
For the best yea or nay answer, ask Rich or a mod.

Trazoi
2008-04-17, 11:50 PM
Well, if I credit the characters to Rich, and use it without profit, I'm pretty sure it falls under Fair Use.
I'm afraid it doesn't. Fair Use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Use) is a very narrow range of applications, mainly for education or if you were offering a review, or in the specific case of parody. Fan-art and fan-games don't qualify.

I can't speak with absolute authority because I'm not a lawyer, although I have had the basics of intellectual property law taught to me in computer science classes. But I do frequent sites for hobby game development (it's my hobby too!) so I know the basics of what I.P. law applies to with respect to fan games. And Order of the Stick characters and sprites is clearly Rich's copyright for him to say what you do with.

Now, nearly all authors and artists don't mind fan-art; in fact, most clearly encourage it. But it's still up to them to decide where they draw the line.

Note that I don't want to discourage you, but I don't want you to have a false impression of how I.P. laws work. If you want to make a small OotS game, then the best thing to do is to ask Rich for permission. If you get permission, then you're free to go ahead. You might also be able to get away with OotS-art style characters, not using any of the main characters. But the safest thing to do is just ask.

Edit: Just wanted to add that while this might read as a bit harsh, I mainly just wanted to correct the notion that using Rich's work was Fair Use. There tend to be a lot of hobby game makers who like making fan games, and sometimes they spend many, many days of work making something that eventually gets shut down due to misunderstandings of how I.P. laws work. It's best to sort these things out first and seek permission.

Grug
2008-04-18, 08:29 AM
Sounds good. I'll ask.

mikeejimbo
2008-04-18, 09:11 AM
Have you tried Game Maker? It's free unregistered, and not too expensive anyway. It's not the best but my game design class uses it regularly and it can do some impressive stuff.

http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/

Multimedia Fusion is in the same line of products as Game Maker, and is slightly more powerful. As far as I know, anyway.

BRC
2008-04-18, 09:14 AM
I say you ask on the Site Issues forum.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-18, 10:17 AM
Has anyone ever made a game with RPG Maker 2000? I've been sort of goofing with it, thinking of making a game with a party of six characters...

A dark skinned warrior with blue armor, a short guy with daggers, a short cleric guy, a thief girl with ranged weapons, a mixed magic-user fighter guy, and a purple robed mage.

You can, or course, change the names to whatever you want, as with most of the RPG type games.

I just need a plot, a good deal of free time, and maybe to make a few smaller games first.

†Seer†
2008-04-18, 10:53 AM
Has anyone ever made a game with RPG Maker 2000? I've been sort of goofing with it, thinking of making a game with a party of six characters...

A dark skinned warrior with blue armor, a short guy with daggers, a short cleric guy, a thief girl with ranged weapons, a mixed magic-user fighter guy, and a purple robed mage.

You can, or course, change the names to whatever you want, as with most of the RPG type games.

I just need a plot, a good deal of free time, and maybe to make a few smaller games first.

I'm actually playing with a series using RPGM2k ^^ It seems to give the game that old RPG feel, imho. GL with the game :)