PDA

View Full Version : How can a site be so... deprived?

Xero Kunai
2008-04-17, 11:07 PM
I was bored, and on dial up, so I thought I would try and start a Wheel of Time roleplay on Gaiaonline, but as I hit post I realize... "Imbecile.. these people don't know books..." And I was correct.. I only got one reply asking what the F the Wheel of Time was.. and I nearly wept, almost as much as when I realized I do ... way too much... Either way, I hope you all know it, I respect you much more... even if I have just logged on for the first time in nearly a year (not my fault..) Either way, do you? And, how can that site be so literature...aly? deprived?

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2008-04-17, 11:13 PM
'Tis the way of things, my son. For every haven of literacy to appear on this good cyberspace, a dozen hives of scum and villainy spring up, like dandelions in a once-great Saskatchewan lawn.

It is unavoidable, a fact of the internet culture that we must face.

Semidi
2008-04-17, 11:16 PM
What the **** is Wheel of Time?

Sorry... I can't help myself

Xero Kunai
2008-04-17, 11:17 PM
That's about as funny as punching a kitten in the throat... heheheh

†Seer†
2008-04-17, 11:18 PM
*tries to active a ter'angreal that makes fireworks*

*fails*

*subsequently throws it at Xero*

:smallwink: Welcome back mate!

Xero Kunai
2008-04-17, 11:22 PM
Bellingham.. I cannot remember.. I believe that is near.. *cackles*
Eitherway.. I have perfect control over Saidin........ No I don't but that's beside the point..

*Tries to activate the Ter'angreal....*
+=-
+--
+
*grows a tail*
What the hell?

Xero Kunai
2008-04-17, 11:24 PM
Perhaps I should do one here... but unfortunately I have no Rulebook for the D20 game.. so it would have to be Freeform.. and I have no idea how to do that here... Hmm

†Seer†
2008-04-17, 11:47 PM
Lucky... once upon a time I began to learn to wield Saidin... My teacher kicked me out when I accidentally destroyed his tower with a kettle. (Trust me...it's better not to know) o.O

Near B-ham, eh? Oughta say hey one day :smallwink:

If you do get a game going, give me a yell, will see if my schedule allows!

Icewalker
2008-04-17, 11:49 PM
I should read those. After finishing the Foundation books. And everything written by Terry Pratchett. Then Shakespeare. Oh, and all that other stuff.

Stupid good writing...

Semidi
2008-04-18, 12:09 AM
That's about as funny as punching a kitten in the throat... heheheh

Naw, punching a kitten is a lot more funny.

Raiser Blade
2008-04-18, 12:49 AM
Naw, punching a kitten is a lot more funny.

Not if you're the kitten.

Besides it's all about the leg sweeps. :smallbiggrin:

Jayngfet
2008-04-18, 01:38 AM
Naw, punting a kitten is a lot more funny.

fixed it for you.

SurlySeraph
2008-04-18, 01:56 AM
Kittens: part of this complete breakfast.

valadil
2008-04-18, 09:26 AM
Dude, the internet is full of ignorant folks making fun of each other. Haven't you ever read comments on youtube?

Yes I know Wheel of Time. No I didn't like it. In fact I disliked it so much I couldn't coerce myself to read any other fantasy for at least a year until I was introduced to A Game of Thrones. But at least I know of it!

reorith
2008-04-18, 09:44 AM
Dude, the internet is full of ignorant folks making fun of each other. Haven't you ever read comments on youtube?

Yes I know Wheel of Time. No I didn't like it. In fact I disliked it so much I couldn't coerce myself to read any other fantasy for at least a year until I was introduced to A Game of Thrones. But at least I know of it!

i started reading the eye of the world and got to the paragraph where some character examined a cloak but lost interest in one particular detail before giving up on the book entirely. so far, it has been the only book i've ever burned.

if there is a bigger cesspit on the internet than gaia i have yet to find it.

Totally Guy
2008-04-18, 09:55 AM
I don't get it.

Are you saying that people that haven't heard of a particular series of books are deprived?

That's a pretty spectacular acclaim. Akin to "be there or be square".

But I find that sort of advertising reprehensible as it assumes the uninitated are idiots. So I doubt I'll be picking up my copy any time soon.

Player_Zero
2008-04-18, 10:05 AM
Have you read the entire works of Shakespeare? And Dickens? NO?! WELL THEN YOU MUST BE SOME SORT OF DEPRIVED IDIOT!

*Ahem* ... Not everyone will have read the books you have read. Get over it.

Timmit
2008-04-18, 11:00 AM
The people who have never heard of Wheel of Time are the lucky ones...

Skippy
2008-04-18, 11:37 AM
I should read those. After finishing the Foundation books. And everything written by Terry Pratchett. Then Shakespeare. Oh, and The Dark Tower series.

Stupid good writing...

If you still haven't finished the whole Foundation series, you're really slow.

And I'd recommend reading the Daneel Olivaw/Elijah Baley saga first. It makes sense that way.

As for Pratchett, I envy you. Here I can only get a couple of his books. Shakespeare, done.

Oh, and fix'd it for you.

Grogah
2008-04-18, 12:20 PM
I am, unfortunately, familiar with the Wheel of Time. When I was younger I thought the first few books were pretty good, but he quickly began writing trash, and so lost me as a reader. I'm revisiting the early ones now when driving cross country and... wow, he can't write worth a damn. The story is one of the most derivative formulaic ones I have ever read.

Read George R. R. Martin instead.

Phase
2008-04-18, 12:31 PM
Kittens: part of this complete breakfast.

My friend and I resolved that, should we ever take an ethics course, we would bring in some sort of food shaped exactly like a kitten. Like a pastry or something with icing. And when the teacher mentions anything thing like: "It is completly unethical" We would whip out our kittens and start munchin'...

I, of course, suggested real kittens...

mercurymaline
2008-04-18, 12:49 PM
Have you read the entire works of Shakespeare? And Dickens? NO?! WELL THEN YOU MUST BE SOME SORT OF DEPRIVED IDIOT!

*Ahem* ... Not everyone will have read the books you have read. Get over it.

if there is a bigger cesspit on the internet than gaia i have yet to find it.

Gaia is not a cesspit because no one there knows Wheel of Time. It's a cesspit because no one there knows anything of any value. I asked around there once for very specific music suggestions, all I got was a non-helpful discussion about why I needed the music, and suggestions for Yellowcard and Fall Out Boy (not even remotely close to what I was looking for.)

After wandering the forums there for a bit, I was unable to find any sort of intelligent conversation, and I left.

morbid

Drascin
2008-04-18, 12:53 PM
I, of course, suggested real kittens...

Eeeew. Raw? Man, that's gross.

Of course, cooking them brings up another problem, which is, if you actually cut and cook them correctly, they lose most of their kitty shape and therefore much of the shock value.

I personally don't really understand why you would want to eat kittens, though. Their flesh is horribly stringy, and they almost have no meat in them. You should really try puppies, they tend to be easier to fatten.

Phase
2008-04-18, 01:11 PM
I personally don't really understand why you would want to eat kittens, though. Their flesh is horribly stringy, and they almost have no meat in them. You should really try puppies, they tend to be easier to fatten.

Well kittens play with yarn and are much easier to housetrain. The more innocent, the better the shock. Plus, you have to know how to eat them. You can't just burrow into the side of the kitten, you need to go for the organs!

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-18, 01:42 PM
Gooo for the eyes!
Its the eyes! All eyes are good, except croc eyes, they´re yukky:smallyuk:

RTGoodman
2008-04-18, 02:03 PM
I spent some time on Gaia back in the day (read: around 2005). Of course, I never ventured outside their equivalent of the SMBG area, so I didn't run into most of the trouble.

I am, unfortunately, familiar with the Wheel of Time. When I was younger I thought the first few books were pretty good, but he quickly began writing trash, and so lost me as a reader. I'm revisiting the early ones now when driving cross country and... wow, he can't write worth a damn. The story is one of the most derivative formulaic ones I have ever read.

Read George R. R. Martin instead.

Yeah, I did the same. Someone suggested the Wheel of Time series to me several summers ago (back in high school), and I read the first one. I thought I liked it, but after slogging through books 2-4 I just gave up and realized I really didn't like it at all.

Of course, I couldn't get into Martin either - I put down A Game of Thrones about 50 pages in and never picked it back up. Mostly I was pissed that the cool old squire guy from chapter one, who I thought would be the main character, was dead by the beginning of chapter two or so.

DoNotFearToTread
2008-04-18, 02:27 PM
Of course, I couldn't get into Martin either - I put down A Game of Thrones about 50 pages in and never picked it back up. Mostly I was pissed that the cool old squire guy from chapter one, who I thought would be the main character, was dead by the beginning of chapter two or so.

Those are definately not the books for you, then. Be glad you abandoned them when you did cause that stuff is a running theme in Martin's writing. I love the books but they can be tough to get into for a number of reasons.

I felt the same about Wheel of Time after the first third of the first book. I just wasn't grabbed by the world, the story or the writing. Not enough to keep going anyways. You have to really invest yourself in a story to read as many books as either of those series ended up (will end up) producing.

Of course, Martin is likely to go the way of Jordan if he doesn't spend more time writing and less time petting tigers.

More to the point, though, I have certainly heard of Wheel of Time.

Ranna
2008-04-18, 02:47 PM
I like ol george boy, but I do get frustrated with him, especially all the reading in between the lines stuff i can;t do that, im more of a skim reader, I can get the main in your face plot line, but the subtle development of characters and side quests i usually miss in spectacular fashion...so I re-read things several times

as you can tell trying to re-real the wheel of time....really not going to happen its a bit long you see

:P - I am thinking about re-reading georges books in hopefull preparation for the next book (coming this summer - apparently) :S

but don't get too upset about those ppl, there are lots and lots of people out there that never pick up books (my good friend is one of them) just be glad u've found a place where people do..