PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon of Pink (IC)

Pink
2008-04-17, 11:44 PM
You've finally arrived at the Tomb of Evinrood the Water Mage. You and your fellow adventurers all pooled up your good or ill gotten gains in order to purchase the map to the legendary mage's tomb, eager to find what treasure, secrets and wonders are contained within, and eager for the glory associated with such an undertaking. Normally you would not consider such an action as buying a map, however this one came from a mage who was acclaimed in the art of restoring lost documents and made his living selling clues to treasures instead of risking his life looking for them.

So now you and your fellow party members stand on a grim, dark moor overlooking the sea. Soaring sea birds seem to cry his lament, as well as a forlorn warning. In front of you is the large graven capstone, ten feet long and wide, set nearly flush with the ground, in a collar ring of stone work. With care the following inscription can be read:

"This is the last resting place of EVINROOD the Water Mage
He did battle with Selgolub the Master of Daemons
In the year of the Bitter Wyvern, Sixth year of the Reign of the Death Empress
He failed to overthrow the daemon lord and was Accursed
EVINROOD, Savior of Karthaki, friend of the dwarves, and kobolds
MASTER OF THE ELEMENTS THEMSELVES
Rests herein with his great treasure disturb them at your peril!"

Maurkov
2008-04-18, 11:44 AM
Gunnar

Gunnar mutters into his beard, "I don't see how one could be a friend of both dwarves AND kobolds."

He kneels before the tomb and prays to the ancestors. Then he stands and looks around*. He circles the tomb. Down comes the crystal lens mounted on his helmet, and he begins to closely examine the ring of stonework**.

Louder, but to nobody in particular, "can anyone produce a magic circle? If there be elementals...." He trails off as he notices an oddly shaped lichen. "A hand here, lad," he says to Celebel***.

*spot check (+0 mod): Are there animal skeletons around; anything to indicate merely touching the tomb to be dangerous?

**...from outside the ring, obviously. Search check (x3/5'; +21 mod (incl. dwarven stonecraft)): The capstone may be articulated or trapped. Start with the ring, and if that looks safe, move on to the capstone itself. This will take a while, so I said "begins"

***Assist for another +2?

Kesnit
2008-04-18, 12:20 PM
Theresa DiMedici

Theresa makes a strange motion with her hand, then blinks. Let's see what Mage Sight tells me, she says softly.

Activating Detect Magic, which is an at-will ability, and See the Unseen.

She steps to the side of Gunner, but still not entering the circle, and crouches. Slowly she walks a circuit around the outside of the stone circle, pausing next to each stone to crouch again and study it. She touches none.

Assuming no magic is detected, she will stand and study the central gravestone, still with Detect Magic and See the Unseen on.

Beren One-Hand
2008-04-18, 06:51 PM
Wellington

Fluttering slightly above and to the side of the stone ring, Wellington 'de Luc lets his arcane sight wash over the surrounding scene.

Detect Magic & See the Unseen activated
Spellcraft [roll0]
Spellcraft [roll1]
Spellcraft [roll2]
to descern aura's (as needed)

Turning his blue ringed eyes towards the stone, his butterfly wings draw him in for a closer inspection. Reaching his small hands out he tests the air currents and flicking his tounge out momentairily tastes the still air. In conjunction with Gunnar he minutely investigates the tombstone.

I'm going to assume that Gunnar was rolling for Aid another since I have a higher search modifier. If not you can ignore my rolls and add 2 to all of his. This is also assuming the layout he described in the OOC thread with three search checks per square

Top Row
Square 1 [roll3], [roll4], [roll5]
Square 2 [roll6], [roll7], [roll8]
Square 3 [roll9], [roll10], [roll11]
Square 4 [roll12], [roll13], [roll14]

Right Side
Square 1 [roll15], [roll16], [roll17]
Square 2 [roll18], [roll19], [roll20]

Bottom Row
Square 1 [roll21], [roll22], [roll23]
Square 2 [roll24], [roll25], [roll26]
Square 3 [roll27], [roll28], [roll29]
Square 4 [roll30], [roll31], [roll32]

Left Side
Square 1 [roll33], [roll34], [roll35]
Square 2 [roll36], [roll37], [roll38]

Capstone
Top Left [roll39], [roll40], [roll41]
Top Right [roll42], [roll43], [roll44]
Bottom Left [roll45], [roll46], [roll47]
Bottom Right [roll48], [roll49], [roll50]

Pink
2008-04-18, 10:38 PM
No magical aura emanates from the capstone, or from beneath it. Wellington and Theresa are also unable to find anything invisible to their arcane eyesight.

The studied searches of the capstone reveal it to be several inches thick and made out of good solid granite that has been slowly weathered away by the dust and faint winds of the area. Its seal seems to be airtight with the collar it rests upon, and there's just enough space between the two to insert a thin but strong object to create enough leverage to begin lifting, however you suspect it will take sufficient manpower to fully move it away from the tomb entrance.

Beren One-Hand
2008-04-18, 10:55 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

With a huff, he flies straight up and glares at the stone. "Well it looks like it'll take muscle to open this thing, which I obviously don't have. I could try blasting it open, but that'd take only margionally less time than hacking it open. At least there's no magic radiating in or around it."

Thinking a moment he adds quietly, "I could try my Hand of Dissonence, but I'm still not back to my full strength with that power."

OOC: He's refering to the Baleful Utterance invocation - basically Shatter up to 90 lbs at this level.

Maurkov
2008-04-18, 11:45 PM
Gunnar

"It's a beautiful piece of stone," he says, considering the problem.

"If we're not able to clear the place out, I'd like to be able to put it back to prevent creatures from escaping or the unprepared from entering."

Looking around the group he notices that strong backs are in the minority.

The average density of granite is 2.75 g/cm3 (wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granite))
1 gram/cubic centimeter = 62.427 960 pound/cubic foot (onlineconversion.com (http://www.onlineconversion.com/density_common.htm))
10ftx10ftx4in granite = 5722.563 lbs

If Gunnar uses Bull's Strength (infusion) and Enlarge Person (lesser schema), he'll be STR 24 and large, and so should be able to drag 7000 lbs.

With Nathan's help prying it up over the lip, that should work, right?

Pink
2008-04-18, 11:52 PM
OOC: With enough effort anyone can use a crowbar to lift it up slightly, however it will need a strength check to remove it. Unfortunately DnD rules and real world don't quite mix that well. However you guys can, in this case, do a 'take twenty' to lift if you so desire. In this case i believe you just add the strength mod of all those helping to lift.

Maurkov
2008-04-19, 12:16 AM
oocUnfortunately, I don't think anyone except perhaps Nathan (what's in a standard adventuring pack, anyway?) brought a pry bar. So -2 to the check? Gunnar's adamantine weapon could be used to make hand holds, if that would help. I count +8 between Gunnar, Nathan, and Theresa, but it would be rude to volunteer their characters. Plus, someone else might have a better idea, and I don't want to get too far ahead in case Celebel wants to react to Gunnar calling her "lad."

Pink
2008-04-19, 12:21 AM
ooc: Crowbar is just the 'ideal' item so to speak, feel free to use swords, other edged things, or whatever have you to lift up the capstone if you so desire.

Slashy Mc Slash
2008-04-19, 08:55 AM
Celebel

Striding forwards to the left edge of the capstone, she looks down and surveys what everyone else can see. Bending down towards the small insicion into the capstone, she produces a pray bar from her backpack and as she reaches down she puts the pry bar to the side and takes a more intent look down the incision.

[roll0]
[roll1]

If all seems safe she will place the pry bar in and say;

"Over to those who actually have some strength in them then. Good luck boys"

If it appears to be trapped in some way, she'll do something else, like attempting to disable it.

Pink
2008-04-19, 03:54 PM
ooc: No need for spot checks unless you're looking into the distance :)

There seems to be nothing dangerous or odd about the slight gap between capstone and collar.

Maurkov
2008-04-19, 09:46 PM
Gunnar

"Time's a wasting." He sets aside his shield and squares up in front of the block.

"If any of you tell Rory you saw me doing this, he will kill me." He sets the tip of his axe into the gap and levers at the stone. "Don't be shy. There's room for everyone."

One can't actually see his muscles ripple beneath the adamantine armor, but it's easy to imagine.
[roll0] plus whatever help the others can offer.
If that doesn't work, he empowers his belt with the strength of jotuns and tries again.
Bull's Strength infusion (+4 STR for 8 minutes)
[roll1]
Once the stone is moved (taking 20 if necessary), he dolefully checks whether his axe is still true.

Pink
2008-04-19, 09:56 PM
With the help of his axe, Gunnar is able to pry the capstone off the stone collar. With a slightly audible rush of air, the seal of the tomb is broken, and though the air seems tense, there's no sudden thunder in the background, or any sign of significance.

However, even with his strength augmented from his skill as an artificer, he's unable to move the capstone further from the inch or so it's raised by his make-shift axe-lever.

His axe seems to be sturdy enough to stand up to the weight of the capstone in its use as a crowbar.

*grumble* Bloody adamantine, if it was anything else...SNAP! *grumble grumble*

:smallbiggrin:

But yeah, not enough bonus to that strength check yet.

Maurkov
2008-04-20, 12:28 AM
Gunnar

*Grunt* *grunt*

"Nathan, lift here, please?"

Acting as a second pair of hands, the homunculus climbs off Gunnar's back and retrieves the dwarf's shield. The creature rotates it so that Gunnar, while holding up the capstone, can activate one of the schemata nailed to its inner surface.
Enlarge Person: [roll0] for a +2 enlargement bonus to STR. Total mod, +7. +10 if Nathan helps. It only lasts 10 rounds, though, so no taking 20 using that bonus.
Gunnar doubles in size and heaves again.

The homunculus lays the shield aside and peers through the crack, carefully staying out of anyone's way.

Kesnit
2008-04-20, 05:50 AM
Theresa DiMedici

Not sure how much help I'll be, Theresa said, grabbing the axe handle in both hands and pushing.

Pink
2008-04-21, 04:07 PM
ooc: Maybe I didn't quite make this clear but, by levering with the axe, you can only move the cap up maybe an inch or so max. To actually move it you will, yes, have to touch the capstone.

Even the help of his creation, Gunnar is only able to shift the stone fractions of centimeters in it's collar. Theresa, ((assuming she will touch the capstone)) seems to help slightly, however it is clear that more than the three will be needed to shift the stone.

Maurkov
2008-04-21, 06:13 PM
Gunnar

Gunnar's homunculus jams rocks into the gap so that Gunnar can retreive his axe without the capstone falling back into place. Setting the axe aside he looks around at the available help. He starts infusing Bull's Strength for the others until together we're strong enough to move it. "While I'm artificing, do you want to check the gap (and inside) for surprises?"

I can't help but notice that SirGhandi/Nathan hasn't posted in the IC thread, well, ever. Pink, do you want to auto-pilot him? Make him the first fatality because he strayed out of the camera frame? Swap him with one of the standby players?

Yes, Gunnar will touch the capstone.

So... Gunnar (+4)
+ B Str (+2)
+ Enlarge Person (+1)
+ Theresa (+1)
? Nathan (+3)
? B Str Nathan(+2)
+ B Str Theresa(+2)
+ Celebel (+0)
+ B Str Celebel(+2)

Does it work? Does Gunnar burn through all three additional bull's strengths to get there?

Beren One-Hand
2008-04-21, 07:08 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

"While you're doing your crafty bit, I'll take a look around inside, just in case something's waiting for us."

Flying down to peek through the widened gap, Wellington gazes into the inky depths.

See Invisibile, Darkvision: 60', and Detect Magic
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Search [roll2]
Spellcraft (if an aura is present) [roll3]

ooc: If it is absolutely needed I can take a bull's strength but it'll only give a total of +1 to the total.

Pink
2008-04-21, 08:11 PM
ooc: Yeah, to speed things up, you'll need to spend all but 1 bull's strength. And the following is a sort've example of, specific criteria you'll need to find some traps that you just couldn't find otherwise. In this case, unless you searched after it was cracked open a little, you just wouldn't have a chance to find it, so you won't.

Wellington's examination of the inside of the crack reveals something alarming. First, the underside of the capstone is covered with a thin layer of copper plate. This plating goes all the way to the edge. In the center of the underside of the capstone is an axle on which is mounted a 5 foot metal-coated stone disk in such a way that it will spin freely. Out from the axle is fixed a long thin metal brush making a radius of the copper disk and just touching it. Wound around the axle is long length of rope that has somehow withstood the ravages of time. This rope passes over a pulley also mounted on the bottom of the capstone, and thence on to a stone weight set in an alcove carved 4 feet below the lip of the stone collar. Also fastened to the same peg as the pulley is a thin piece of thread which runs with very little slack to a ring bolt set in a tiny wedge that prevents the stone weight from falling into the long dark shaft below. There is one last little item, fastened to the bottom of the capstone. On the opposite side from the pulley
there is, fastened by a pin, a thin metal thread. This tread trails into the depths about 7 feet where it is fastened to the wall with another peg.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Trap1.jpg

The tomb descends straight down, past the view of your vision, and is a circular opening ten feet in diameter. Nothing magical is noticeable to his vision.

Beren One-Hand
2008-04-21, 09:12 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

Eyes widening, Wellington hastily pockets his lens and holds out his right hand in warning to the others. Carefully extending his left hand, he points at the rope attached to the weight and channels his power through his Hand of Dissonence. Magic courses through his hand, causing the offending rope to vibrate slightly, at just the pefect frequency to tear itself apart.
Next he turns his attention to the metal threads, causing them to sunder as well.

Flying back up with a grin he calls out, "T'was a good thing we needed the extra boost to get this thing open! Unless I've missed my guess, anyone lifting this stone would have been in for a nasty shock. Shouldn't be a thing to worry about now though!"

Using Balefull Utterance against the rope and two threads. Should work without a problem unless they weigh more than 90 lbs or are magical (in which case they get a Will saving throw DC 16 to resist it.)

Pink
2008-04-21, 09:27 PM
The threads and rope get turned to small particles from the fey power, the peg holding the stone no longer being supported and both it and the stone weight falling down the depths of the opening. After a minute, a faint splash can be heard from below.

OOC: Assume the pally helps out with the lifting...He seems to be around (last activity the 19th) so we can wait a day or two, then I'll pm, and if he doesn't want to be in i'll get a replacement, assuming you haven't progressed too far already...I think warlocks may be the undoing of this dungeon...

Maurkov
2008-04-21, 11:39 PM
Gunnar

With the stone moved aside and him returned to normal size, he examines what remains of the mechanism. "Very clever. Friend of kobolds indeed. Does anyone know the history of Karthaki? Perhaps it would give more clues about what lies within."

"Nicely done, Wellington. Do you feel comfortable taking the lead, or shall I?" He retrieves his shield and axe (checking once more that it wasn't damaged). He peers down. The homunculus peers over his shoulder**.

*[roll0]DC 15 to detect magic on the trap remains, to see if there's something there to Retain Essence on later. Oops. You already said nothing was magical. Well, he'll examine it because he's curious, then.

**Darkvision 60'. Homunculus has darkvision and lowlight vision.
[roll1] [roll2]

Beren One-Hand
2008-04-21, 11:48 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

"I have no problems taking the lead. What we should consider, however, is how we're all going to get down there."

Looking around at his earthbound friends he adds, "It seems a long way down and unless you've got something spectacular in your bag of tricks I won't be able to carry anybody down."

Maurkov
2008-04-22, 12:00 AM
Gunnar

Gunnar smiles. "Of course I have tricks. Just the thing. Perhaps. Lets figure out how far down we're going. I have a ring of feather falling that, if you can fly it back up a few times, will allow all to descend safely."

He powers up his armor and shield while he's talking.

Magic Vestments x2. 8 hours.

Beren One-Hand
2008-04-22, 12:15 AM
Wellington 'de Luc

"Looks like we've got a plan! From the cleverness of the entrance trap it looks like we'd best be constantly on our guard, so I'll take my time going down."

As he starts to desend, the little guy joking adds, "Don't be worried unless you hear me yelling for help."

Going down with a Spot check (+10), Listen check (+5), Search check (+25) and Spellcraft (+12) if there's any magic detected as he descends the shaft. Go ahead and make my rolls as I have no idea how far down the passage goes.

Maurkov
2008-04-22, 12:29 AM
Gunnar

"I'm not letting you get out of sight."

Gunnar lets Wellington get 40' ahead, then starts checking the wall he walks down. He taps his axe against the wall every few feet to mark his progress (forgot chalk, you know). He leaves the homunculus up with the others.

[roll0] for the first check that matters, keeping pace with Wellington.

Pink
2008-04-22, 07:49 AM
OOC: Okay, just one question. Are you guys searching all of the shaft all of the way down? Because it's fairly lengthy and I will need to deduct probably an hour or so at least of game time if you are. Just as a confirmation here.

Initial peers into the darkness of the shaft find no signs of magic, or anything except smooth stone walls that continue past the view of darkvision. Even with the sun slowly rising to the zenith of its arc, even the ability to see with very little lightly is unable to see farther than that of darkvision in penetrating the blackness. One gets the feeling that they stare into a bottomless pit almost.

Maurkov
2008-04-22, 11:47 AM
((Gunnar is young and would like to grow old, so yes, he's searching the section of the shaft he's traversing. If he triple checks, he'll cover ~1000' per hour (5'/3 rounds * 600 rounds/hour). If he single checks (implied by only making only one search roll in the last post) that's 3000'.

How many seconds did it take for that piece of the trap to hit water? t=(x/16')^.5))

Pink
2008-04-22, 12:50 PM
((Then it'll take you guys roughly an hour and a half. Before I give you guys your pms for what you find, does anybody on the surface do anything of interest during that hour and half I should take note of? And unless you were paying particular attention, (doubtful since you weren't even aware of the stone) you won't known how long it took to hit the water. Gunnar just knows something went splash.))

Maurkov
2008-04-22, 01:44 PM
Gunnar

After 200' Gunnar mutters, "Now they're just showing off."

"Wellington, look out below." With two quick chops he hews a piece of stone from the wall* and lets it fall.

"Really showing off."

*Non-structural, please.

Slashy Mc Slash
2008-04-22, 03:31 PM
Celebel

"Anyone fancy putting a bet on how far down that shaft goes? Though I now have no idea how I'm going to get down, I lack the ability to fly."

Maurkov
2008-04-24, 11:13 PM
((Do we reach the bottom without getting blasted, pummeled, or dispelled?))

Pink
2008-04-30, 10:36 PM
After an hour and a half of careful searching and reconnesaince, Wellington and Gunnar are able to search the entire shaft down it's 225' length. They find no traps or anything strange at all, until they reach the bottom. There they find that the bottom of the shaft is filled with about four feet of water, and that there is a set of two five-foot wide, ten-foot tall doors. Wellington is able to sense a low level of magic from the doors, identified as a arcane lock spell. Also, both are unable to sense any airflow from behind the doors, and the hinges seem to be created in such a way that opening the door will still be a task of strength instead of having been placed to allow easy door movement, which seems out of place with the otherwise flawless dwarven construction of the door.

Do you guys search beneath the water as well?

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-01, 12:37 AM
Wellington 'de Luc

Halting just above the water line, Wellington hovers in mid-air as he rummages in his sack. Reaching down, he pulls a bright black gem off of the collar of his armor and sets a brilliant aquamarine gem in its place. "And now the water starts... or so it seems."

Setting the gem into his pack, he pulls out a copper piece and tosses it into the water and waits to see what happens

Changing his armor crystal to the one that grants him a swim speed.

Maurkov
2008-05-01, 01:01 PM
Gunnar

Gunnar perches against the wall just above the waterline, held in place by his impossibly sticky hobnail boots. "If the only abjuration is the arcane lock, perhaps you could take an auger* and drill a hole through at the bottom of the door? Four feet of water is roughly four more feet than I feel comfortable standing in."

*assumes A) that an auger is included in thieves' tools and B) the doors are made of wood.

Gunnar is also assuming that the standing water would have compromised any mechanical traps, so he has not searched beneath the waterline.

Pink
2008-05-01, 01:04 PM
The copper hits the water with a small splash and a 'plop' and sinks to the bottom and lies flat on the bottom. Though there could be a small margin of error, it appears that the water is roughly four feet deep.

Edit: Doors are stone.

Maurkov
2008-05-01, 03:58 PM
Gunnar

Still avoiding the water, Gunnar examines the hinges. Finally he says, "I don't much like this door. I say we cut through it."

If there are no objections, Gunnar will stand on the wall above the doors. He uses his axe to hew through the upper hinge on the right hand door*. Then he moves down the wall to about the water level and splits the door in half horizonally, just above the center hinge. The arcane lock should hold the pieces in place despite the lack of support.

*I guess that's his left when standing above it looking down

Cut through the red parts:

[ ][ ]
|[ ][ ]|
[ ][_____]
|[ ][ ]|
[ ][ ]
|[ ][ ]|
[ ][ ]

Wielded in two hands and full PA, Gunnar's weapon does 1d10+22 and bypasses hardness less than 20.

Pink
2008-05-04, 03:40 PM
To those on the surface: It has been nearly two hours you think, since Wellington and Gunnar disappeared into the depthes of the cave. Though at first you could hear the sounds of them searching and chalking, there has been silence for too long. You fear that they may not be coming back.

To gunnar and wellington
The axe hews with some effort into the hinge and then with another swing into the door itself. However, something else feels like it's cut when the door is attacked and there is a clicking sound and suddenly the water seems to drop. After a moment of churning water, it appears that the floor was a trap door that has dropped away, revealing that the entrance goes down further, about 75 feet it seems, before ending once again, the water collecting into a pool at this new bottom.

Maurkov
2008-05-05, 05:09 PM
Gunnar

After a few running steps upward, Gunnar looks back. He goes back down and verfies* that the doors aren't going to come off and fall after. Then he takes a closer look as to whether the doors are even real**. If he's hacked deeply enough to make a hole, he peers through it***. If all is well, he'll complete his previous task of turning the obstacle into a Dutch door.

*[roll0]

**[roll1] or [roll2]

***[roll3]

Pink
2008-05-05, 05:24 PM
What Gunnar finds
Gunnar's search reveals that the doors aren't really supposed to be opened, and upon peering behind them he finds a myriad of chains and gears, one chain is severed exactly where he had been cutting through the door. There's a central knot of chains connected in the centre of the door, probably held by the arcane lock. It seems to be an ingenious trap in that any attempts at breaking the door or dispelling the lock will trigger a change in the weight and release the trapdoor. It also seems to be able to eventually self correct itself to reset numerous times from the numerous chains which even now are repositioning. In any event, there seems to be nothing but stone behind the device, this is not an entrance into the tomb.

Maurkov
2008-05-05, 06:25 PM
Gunnar will stand aside so that Wellington can see, too. "Blast it?"

Kesnit
2008-05-05, 07:53 PM
To those on the surface: It has been nearly two hours you think, since Wellington and Gunnar disappeared into the depthes of the cave. Though at first you could hear the sounds of them searching and chalking, there has been silence for too long. You fear that they may not be coming back.

Theresa looks into the dark pit, then looks at those still with her. Maybe I should go check on them...

With a sigh, she takes off and flies down the hole. as she goes, she softly calls out to Wellington and Gunnar.

Maurkov
2008-05-05, 10:30 PM
Gunnar's Homunculus

The homunculus waves to get Theresa's attention. With moonstone eyes glimmering, it points down the hole, then it makes a ring with thumb and forefinger other fingers loosely extended. It sits down again, ten feet from the opening.

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-07, 01:28 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

"Interesting. Looks like we've got a ways to go still. Why don't you go back and report what's been going on while I take care of the rest of these chains?" he replies to Gunnar.

Floating next to the cut door he reaches out and severs the remaining chains.

Edit:
Did we see where the cut wire, the one that was attached to the stone, led too?

Maurkov
2008-05-07, 04:28 PM
Gunnar

"Be safe."

Gunnar turns and clambers up the shaft to greet the others. "No problems so far. We're being very careful. Unfortunately, we haven't reached the bottom of the shaft, so you non-fliers have to stay put a while longer. If you need us, tell the homunculus. I know what it knows. It can't speak, but it's pretty good at charades."

Pink
2008-05-07, 04:54 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

"Interesting. Looks like we've got a ways to go still. Why don't you go back and report what's been going on while I take care of the rest of these chains?" he replies to Gunnar.

Floating next to the cut door he reaches out and severs the remaining chains.

Edit:
Did we see where the cut wire, the one that was attached to the stone, led too?

OOC: How are you severing the remaining chains? Disable device? And to which cut wire are you referring to, the one that was grounding the capstone and would be pulled out if it was lifted uncarefully?

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-07, 06:40 PM
OOC: How are you severing the remaining chains? Disable device? And to which cut wire are you referring to, the one that was grounding the capstone and would be pulled out if it was lifted uncarefully?

With his warlocky goodness... chaoticness... whatever. If they're too heavy for his shatter invocation and he can reach them with his theives tools then its a disable device check.

The wire was the one attached to the capstone and decending into the depths. I was just curious about what it was attached to on the other end.

Maurkov
2008-05-07, 06:43 PM
((I thought you were disabling the floor/door trap so that it wouldn't reset. Are you back up and working at the capstone?))

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-07, 06:48 PM
((I thought you were disabling the floor/door trap so that it wouldn't reset. Are you back up and working at the capstone?))

((You're right, I'm down at the bottom trying to make a Kyton cry. I was just wondering if we saw the bottem part of the first trap since it hasn't been mentioned yet.))

Pink
2008-05-07, 10:21 PM
With sufficient shattering of metal and some fey glee, Wellington eventually destroys the mechanism that controls the trap door.

OOC: I'm still not sure what you're talking about...Let me just say you have nothing to worry about the first trap at this distance.

If you're talking about the weight, well...I suppose you saw it in the pool. Oops.

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-07, 10:49 PM
OOC: :biggrin:

I just looked back at the trap description and realized that it clearly said the wire ended about seven feet down the shaft. :smallredface: I was remembering it dissapearing into the depths.

Wellington 'de Luc

Once his sabatoge is finished, he carefully examines the hanging door before continuing on down the shaft, this time ready to search under the water if necessary.

Maurkov
2008-05-07, 11:52 PM
Gunnar

"So... since we're doing the heavy lifting down there, I was wonderining," he rubs his neck, "could you guys set up the tents? Maybe cook us a meal or something?" Behind the beard it's hard to tell his joking, but his eyes crinkle and give him away. "We've got another 70'+ to check out, but I'll try to speed it up. Just a little longer, I think."

Gunnar disappears back into the tomb. When he catches up with Wellington he says, "They don't want to wait much longer. I think I can speed this up. If you watch for magic, I'll watch the stones. Most anything else would have been tripped by 25000 lbs of water rushing past. Right then?"

Gunnar infuses his helm* and starts down. "Stay ten or twenty feet above me, just in case, and let me know if you see a glimmer of magic (besides what I'm carrying)."
*Skill Item Infusion to grant +5 to search for 80 minutes.

Gunnar will walk down, full speed, relying on his dwarven stonecutting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#dwarves) (and Wellington's magic detection) to reveal any dangers.
[roll0]

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-08, 12:50 AM
Wellington 'de Luc

"Great Idea. If there's nothing until we hit bottom, I'll take over from there."

Pink
2008-05-08, 03:54 PM
The continued efforts of searching by Gunnar and Wellington reveal nothing. Nothing that is, until they reach the new bottom of the shaft. Once again, the water lies 4 feet deep and there are a pair of stone double doors, almost identical to the previous ones. However, this time, Gunnar is able to find that these doors seem that they can actually be opened, or at least they seem to be built that way. Wellington also spots on the doors though, a low-level abjuration spell that he is able to identify as another arcane lock.

Maurkov
2008-05-08, 05:13 PM
Gunnar

"Did you say you were ready to go swimming? If you'd check below water level*, I'll look for surprises on the door."

After searching, Gunnar presumes a similar situation calls for a similar response, and hacking through has the benefit of leaving the water on this side.

*Does Gunnar get his stonecutting derived auto-search below the waterline?

He takes another look at the doors [roll0] [roll1] before cutting.

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-09, 12:45 AM
Wellington 'de Luc

With a laugh, Wellington flips upside-down and with his wings beating furriously to hold him steady, he sticks his head under the water. Taking a moment to let his eyes adjust to the watery vision, he scans the area underneath for dangers.

Spot [roll0]
Search 1 [roll1]
Search 2 [roll2]

If he doesn't see anything worrysome his wings stop beating and he quitely slides under the water. With a quick kick and spiral he swims next to the doors and examines them under the water.

Search 1 [roll3]
Search 2 [roll4]

Slashy Mc Slash
2008-05-09, 12:16 PM
Celebeld

Leaning back on the ground she throws her arms out and proceeds to let the sun catch her skin.

"Oh leave them be, if they need help they can call out, I do admit to getting slightly bored now. 2 hours of doing nothing, meh."

Pink
2008-05-09, 12:19 PM
ooc: I'm considering for most intents and purposes that if your head is outside the water, due to water's ability to refract light and stuff (don't ask how that works with darkvision though >>) You don't get any auto knowledge of the stuff beneath is and if searching outside the water would take a penalty. Anyway, are you cutting the door the same way you were before?

Gunnar finds that the doors once again are airtight, however sees no signs that they are anything less suspicious than doors. Fine dwarven crafted doors, properly constructed that they probably take only the mildest of touches to move them once unlocked.

Wellington's underwater exploration finds that the floor seems solid enough, no hairline fractures or small tiny bubbles of air on the bottom that might signify a trap door. His appraising search of the door also confirms Gunnar's findings, except he's not quite as able to appreciate the find craftsmanship of it.

Maurkov
2008-05-09, 12:55 PM
((Do they open in or out? If out, won't four feet of water make them difficult (http://mythbustersresults.com/episode72) to open?))

Pink
2008-05-09, 01:04 PM
((They open out. unlike the previous doors.))

Maurkov
2008-05-09, 01:53 PM
((Yup. We don't have the muscle to pull a 5' wide door against 4' of water [2476 lbs. I doubt the handle could take it.], so Gunnar will have to cut through.))

Gunnar

"This is a beautiful door, and it pains me to destroy it, but without a cleric to lower the water nor a wizard to disintegrate it, I don't think it will budge. Constructs do not tire; I could have my homunculus carry off the water a bucketfull at a time. But that would take days."

Gunnar rinses the rock dust off his axe and moves into position.

Pink
2008-05-09, 02:02 PM
((No handles, strictly a push open type of affair.))

Maurkov
2008-05-09, 03:33 PM
((... Oh. You meant push out into the next room, where I meant pull out into the shaft. In that case, if we break the arcane lock, they should slosh open on their own, right?))

Pink
2008-05-09, 03:35 PM
((That would seem to be the likely case...))

Maurkov
2008-05-09, 03:55 PM
Gunnar

Raising his axe, he stops. He looks again. "Oh, I was looking at the door... um... upside down. If you can unravel that spell they should just swing open. Unless you need me, I'll pull back a bit while you work."

Gunnar will retreat 50' up the shaft.

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-09, 06:51 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

Waiting just a moment for the dwarf to start moving, Wellington bunches up and with a thrusting kick off the floor swim straight up. Bursting from the water he continues flying through the air. As he passes his reatreating companion he calls out with a soft laugh, "A bit cowardly aren't we."

With a flip of his wings he turns face-downward and concentrates upon the magical energies of the door. Within moments he sends forth a complex series of pulses designed to reverse the knot binding the spell in place.

He'll be stopping 60' above the doors, the very edge of his vision. That is unless he doesn't actually have to see them, just know where they are, to use a targeted dispel magic upon them - in which case he'll fly back up 190', the range of his dispel magic.

Using Relentless Dispelling invocation
Caster Level Check [roll0]
Next Round's Caster Level Check [roll1]

if nothing happens he'll do it again, and again, and again.
Caster Level Check [roll2]
Next Round's Caster Level Check [roll3]
Caster Level Check [roll4]
Next Round's Caster Level Check [roll5]
Caster Level Check [roll6]
Next Round's Caster Level Check [roll7]

Maurkov
2008-05-09, 07:00 PM
Gunnar

"We're careful; There's a difference. You want to go further up?" Gunnar produces (but doesn't ignite) a sunrod.

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-09, 07:19 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

"Might as well, there probably won't be many oppertunities to get further back once we're inside," Wellington concludes. He waits for the rod to light the way before retreating as far back as possible.

((I can roll again if needed, if not just use the same rolls as before.))

Pink
2008-05-09, 07:38 PM
As Wellington dispels the lock on the door the weight of the water pushes the doors open and drain out into a room forty feet wide and thirty feet deep. the water washes over the cobbled stone floor and slowly begins to seep into the cracks. The walls of the room are covered in stucco and painted on them are a variety of scenes involving a vague robed figure wielding powerful magic and doing mighty deeds.

Six feet from the wall opposite from the entrance into the room lies a raised stone pedestal, upon which rests, undisturbed a coffin of pale stone, ornately carved with geometric patterns.

Maurkov
2008-05-09, 08:10 PM
Gunnar's Homunculus

The homuculus gets up and makes a production of getting it's things ready. It doesn't have things, besides the chain shirt it already wears, but it goes through the motions. Then if flies down into the hole. Shortly, it returns with a ring, and offers it to Celebeld. It pretends to leap back into the hole, but hovers there on its tiny wings.

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-09, 08:18 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

Peering into the open room, Wellington scans the room for traces of magic or invisible things. "Shall we go ahead, or wait for the others?" he asks Gunnar.

Maurkov
2008-05-09, 09:24 PM
Gunnar

"They'll be down shortly, I hope," he says, handing off the ring.

Pink
2008-05-09, 09:30 PM
Peering into the actual tomb, Wellington is able to sense a disturbingly heavy presence of magic. Though it lies in the background, seemingly in the walls and foundations of the tomb, it is still apparent, like a musty stench to his arcane senses. It cannot be identified as being produced from any one school of the arcane.

Also, looking in, Wellington notices above the coffin a roundel painted upon the ceiling's stucco. Unlike the walls however, this is clearly animated and shows a person dying in various horrible ways. However something looks very familiar about this person...why, it is Wellington himself!

Yes, right now the fey-being sees himself being pierced by a score of crossbow bolts, blood trickling from countless wounds. Then the scene changes, this time to him falling, endlessly, his face pale with fright, mouth open with wordless screams, before impacting on something solid, skeleton visibly shattering beneath the flesh. The next image has the image of wellington floating and gasping underneath some large pool of water, as forms undefined seem to dart past, biting pasts of him off bit by bit, his water mixing with the water until it covers the entire roundel, only for a more gruesome scene to start showing.

((Let me just say that I've been waiting for this point. Welcome, to Evinrood's tomb, the Dungeon of Doom.))

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-09, 10:18 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

Chuckling to himself, Wellington shakes his head and comments to Gunnar, "Well I'll be. He certinely has a vivid imagination. Mage though he be, he's a bit deluded if he thought he could make a breathless being, such as myself, belive that entering his tomb would lead to suffocation. Want to see if he can do any better with you?"

Quxelopqr
2008-05-10, 12:38 AM
Cory Tarren

Coming into the tomb from the outside is a smaller man in bright armor. He looks a bit older then most adventurers, and his black hair is starting to show a tinge of gray from excess worry and studying. Looking inside the entrance, which was already open, he shouts "Hello in there, is someone there?" Immediatly closing his mouth, his face turns red for a moment. I probably shouldn't have shouted... I hope I didn't interupt anything. He draws his cloak around him and starts to walk in.

Slashy Mc Slash
2008-05-10, 02:35 AM
Celebel

[[No d in the name, sorry for that MArukov put it in myself by accident]]

Accepting the ring from the homunculus she puts it on her left hand. Seeing that the homunculus seems to want her to jump down the pit, she stores her weapons readies herself then just throws herself down the pit.

Landing at the bottom she strides over to Gunnar and Wellington and offers Gunnar the ring back

"Well its about time." She says with her tounge just stuck out a little.

Kesnit
2008-05-10, 07:08 AM
Theresa

Theresa grins as her companions finally open the last door. She flips over in mid-air, then dives toward the ground. Cannonball! she whispered to herself. She has no idea what that means, but a dwawf she once knew told her he screamed that every time he had to jmp into something.

Stopping her dive about 10' above the Gunnar, she flips over again and lands behind the dwarf.

Pink
2008-05-10, 11:31 AM
OOC: Just to sort've help referee what's happening here, but Cory, the priest, just walked up to the tomb entrance. Celebel and Theresa should probably acknowledge him before jumping into the depthes.

Kesnit
2008-05-10, 12:29 PM
OOC: Just to sort've help referee what's happening here, but Cory, the priest, just walked up to the tomb entrance. Celebel and Theresa should probably acknowledge him before jumping into the depthes.

Actually, Theresa probably didn't see Cory since she is still in the pit. She flew in to check on Wellington and Gunner and never flew out.

Pink
2008-05-10, 01:09 PM
OOC: Oops, i was under the impression the homonculour pre-empted your flight. Anyway, Celebel and the humonculous then.

Maurkov
2008-05-10, 02:10 PM
((If Celebel and Theresa are already in, then I guess the homunculus can greet him.))

Homuculus

The homunculus watches Cory with unblinking eyes. It points at Cory, flies up five feet in the air, then shrugs a question.

Next it gestures for Cory to follow it. It flies over the tomb and points down. 300' below one can just make out a glowing sunrod.

Slashy Mc Slash
2008-05-10, 05:36 PM
Celebel

{{Ill assume this is before i took the ring from the Homonculus sorry for any flow interruption here.}}

Cooling regarding Cory Tarren with her eyes not looking quite at him she knocks an arrow and walks over to him.

"And who would you be? And what are you doing here then, sir?"

The sarcasm rolling in the last word is plain so that even the most dim witted kobold could understand it.

Maurkov
2008-05-11, 12:33 PM
((*grumble* I lost a good post in last night's outage. This is a poor facsimile.))

Gunnar

"Want to see if he can do any better with you?"

"Not really. I am subject to all the mortal frailties."

Gunnar greets the others as they arrive.

"This would be the first false tomb. I'd rather not disturb the bier until we've made the room safe and found the exit. I would rather leave it entirely, but it may contain a key we will need further in."

Gunnar searches beyond the doors, then walks the perimeter of the room, taking extra care near the pedestal*.

Gunnar will rely on his auto-search for most of the room.

Search checks per 5'. Let me know if the map needs a legend.
########
#111112#
#1....2#
#1....3#
'2...%3#
'2...%3#
#1....3#
#1....2#
#111112#
########
By my reckoning, only as many as three search checks count before Gunnar notices something or blunders. These rolls assume the trap or secret door is based on unusual stonework. Otherwise, subtract one from the number of search rolls and subtract 2 from each roll.
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
Elapsed time: ~16 rounds

Quxelopqr
2008-05-11, 06:41 PM
Cory

"Me? I am but a servant of Boccob, sent here to investigate the mysteries of this tomb. The followers of the God of Magic have great interest in the secrets of this great mage."

He looks down the hole the homuculus pointed at and whistles. "Long way down."

Pink
2008-05-12, 02:06 PM
ooc: Hmm...what was that one trope called...where the internet eats your posts...Happened in Lucky Star...

More OOC: Anyway, unless otherwise stated, I'm guessing the humonculous will pass the ring onto Cory as well?

As Gunnar steps into the room, the art on the ceiling changes, this time the person in agony is the dwarf. Currently he seems to be pumping those short legs, running up an endless flight of stairs. At the same time the ceiling seems to be closing in on him and as his legs tire, it seems something it biting at the back of his heels, eating through his boots and then beginning to draw blood. Eventually it seems the trap is to much and the dwarf is quickly ground up by whatever it was that was chasing him right as the ceiling hits the ground and crushing his remains. Then the next scene starts...

Ignoring the ghastly images of the horrors happening to his likeness, Gunnar's search of the perimeter of the room reveals that the stucco is all very good quality, and still in relatively good condition, only a the corner left of the far wall has a part where the stucco has come off, showing the stone some centimeters below the stucco. However, he imagines that it would be relatively simple and easy to chip and break off, like all stucco.

All those experience in the use of magic, arcane or divine, feel the uncomfortable background magic from the tomb.

((also, cause I forgot it))

Wellington (and anyone else with a detect magic or similar vision active) Notices that looking into the room, something seems odd to his magical detecting vision about the coffin and the area five feet around it. ((spellcraft checks))

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-12, 07:14 PM
Spellcraft [roll0]

Will post actions after info is givin, hopefully. :)

Pink
2008-05-12, 07:17 PM
Wellington just knows that there's something odd about that area but doesn't know exactly what.

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-12, 07:35 PM
((OOC: Damn Roll! :smalltongue: At least there are other ways to skin a cat, even if they are more messy.))

Wellington 'de Luc

As Gunnar starts to step into the room, the small fey reaches out and grabs his shoulder. "Hold up a moment, there's something strange around the coffin area, Give me a second to work a few tests."

Gathering up his power and steadying his hovering form, Wellington extends his left hand, palm outward, and twists his wrist in the direction of the wall directly opposite the coffin. With a burst of energy, an emerald bolt flies from his hand and sings through the air straight over the coffin.

Using an Elderitch Blast, shot so it flies through the weird magical area, just above the coffin.

Pink
2008-05-12, 07:43 PM
*A moment while the DM recovers from laughter*
OOC: Gunnar has already searched the room with no negative consequences that he knows of.

The blast of fey energy shoots through the air as normal, and as it hits the wall it causes stucco to fly everywhere. As the dust settles, it can be seen that the blast of energy has created a hole in the stucco roughly six inches in diameter, showing the stone wall beneath.

((Gunnar, provided he is still roughly close, can get a stone cunning search on that newly revealed bit of wall))

Kesnit
2008-05-12, 07:55 PM
Theresa

Theresa jerks in surprise as the bolt of magic energy flies across the room. What are you doing? With a wave of her hand, she causes her eyes to unfocus and then refocus.

Casting "See the Unseen," thinking Wellington saw something and attacked.

Pink
2008-05-12, 08:00 PM
While Theresa does not see any invisible items or opponents, she also somehow feels as though there's something odd with her arcane sight regarding the coffin and the area five feet around it, even her sight to find the unseen. ((Spellcraft check))

Maurkov
2008-05-13, 05:27 PM
Gunnar

When Cory arrives, Gunnar nods to him and accepts the ring. "I recognize you. From the temple, where they sell the scrolls. I'm Gunnar."

Gunnar flinches when Wellington blasts the wall. After seeing that no traps have been triggered nor attacks are in progress, he excuses himself, "Just me a minute." To the warlocks, "Good idea. Can you remove all the stucco so I can get a better look at the walls?" He smiles and turns back to Cory.

Kesnit
2008-05-13, 07:52 PM
Theresa

Theresa gives a jerk of surprise as the unknown human(?) lands next to her. Where did you come from?

At Gunnar's request, Theresa wiggles her fingers. A bolt of white energy flies from her right hand and hits the wall about 15 feet from the dwarf. Another wiggle, and more energy flies from her left hand and hits an unattended wall. She grins at Gunnar, then turns back to her study of the tomb.

Spellcraft: [roll0]

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-13, 08:03 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

"Humph! As I said, I was conducting a test. There's some sort of weird magical field around the plinth there. So we should discover more about it before we continue. Now we know it doesn't suppress magical energy, or my Emerald Flames wouldn't have passed through it to damage the wall."

Turning away from Gunnar, Wellington blinks at the arrival of the others. "When'd you get here? Any trouble on the way down?" he asks. As his gaze lingers upon the newcomer, he smiles a slow, sly smile. "Wellington 'de Luc at your service," he says with a nod of his head. Fluttering up a few feet he hovers in a bit closer and asks, "So you're from the magic temple, huh? What's your interest here, strictly professional? Or is it more along the line of worldy possessions?"

Pink
2008-05-14, 11:21 AM
Theresa:
You squint your eyes and feel the arcane reach of your spell and then you realize something. Your arcane methods of divination are null and void within this area. It seems that something is preventing the use of divination effects on the coffin and the area five feet around it.

More stucco blasts of the walls revealing the smooth stone walls beneath. ((Can I assume you warlocks generally keep blasting stucco off?))

Slashy Mc Slash
2008-05-14, 11:22 AM
Celebel

"This is Cory, he presumed to assume that he is going to be extra arcane support.

So whats going on around here, or are we still testing something out? Has anyone even tried to see if the coffin opens or looks like it could?"

Regardless of the answer she'll walk over to within 5 - 10 feet so as she can see without actually touching and have a look around for any obvious mechanism to open it or any traps that may exist.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Maurkov
2008-05-14, 12:13 PM
Gunnar

"Excuse me again."

"Careful, Celebel, the center of the room hasn't been checked yet."

He turns back again, "Cory, is it? You're pretty quiet for a wizard. Or a priest?"

Quxelopqr
2008-05-15, 11:25 AM
Cory

"Priest actually, thank you for allowing me to stay. I remember you as well Gunnar. No trouble on the way down, I was sent from the temple to investigate the contents of this one. I mean, I'll be as professional as I need, but I'm very interested in the magical objects in here as well."

Cory waits while they blast the stucko off.

Maurkov
2008-05-15, 06:07 PM
Gunnar

"Equal shares," he says to Cory. Once the stucco is blasted, he does another circuit of the room, looking out for unusual stonework. If that all looks normal, he'll take a third circuit up the wall, 5' from the ceiling.

[roll0]

Pink
2008-05-16, 09:14 PM
ooc: Sorry for the wait, been slightly busy :P Also, assuming stucco is all blasted off even though it hasn't been stated, but seems to be assumed thus far by others. Also, before I give results of searches by certain people who can't see in the dark, what light source are you guys using? I think i missed it.

With the stucco blasted off, two doors are revealed in the middle of the left and right walls, both consisting of a set of double doors, each door five feet wide and seeming to open into the room thought they have no handle, only three finger holes in each door.

Doors:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/DoDDoor.jpg

Gunnar however, also sees the outline of a secret door in the wall opposite of the entrance.

Maurkov
2008-05-16, 09:58 PM
((Gunnar lit a sunrod (reading back, he didn't actually light it, but he meant to, and later the homuculus pointed out the glowing thing to Cory). Gunnar had left it at the bottom of the shaft, but if of the less naturally or magically endowed need it, they're welcome to it.

Did Gunnar also locate the trigger for the secret door or just its presence?))

Gunnar

"What have we here and here? And over here? Those holes don't look healthful."

Pink
2008-05-16, 10:03 PM
OOC: Slightly unsure where Gunnar is standing and what he's looking at right now. At the moment I assumed he's back at the entrance looking at the walls. In theory You probably shoulda been closer to stonecunning that but meh.

Maurkov
2008-05-16, 10:51 PM
((Gunnar made another perimeter search here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4327577&postcount=100), which I figure is when he noticed the secret door. My last post was to make it clear he shared that discovery with the others. He's standing near it, but vacating the spot (moving to the entry) whenever the others wish to experiment with the bier.))

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-16, 11:16 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

"What's that you found?," inquires Wellington as he flies through the air and hovers near the doors Gunnar points out. "Let's see what they might be about, shall we."

Search Door 1 [roll0], [roll1], [roll2]

Search Door 2 [roll3], [roll4], [roll5]

Search Secret Door [roll6], [roll7], [roll8]

Kesnit
2008-05-17, 04:41 AM
Theresa

Theresa makes a motion with her hand. Again, her eyes unfocus and then refocus. One at a time, she looks at the three doors with her arcane senses.

Activating at-will Detect Magic.

Maurkov
2008-05-17, 10:24 AM
Gunnar

When Wellington arrives at the secret door, Gunnar gives him room. He moves over to the northern* door to examine the holes. "Has everyone finished analyzing the bier? What was discovered?"

*On the left as we entered.

After passing a solid object (axe blade) in front of the holes, Gunnar will get close and peak in (w/darkvision) [roll0] +2 if there's unusual stonework.

Quxelopqr
2008-05-18, 07:15 PM
Cory

Seeing the others using their powers to see what's up, Cory leaves this job to them. I'll save my abilities for when stuff heats up. He picks up the sunrod if no one else has yet.

Pink
2008-05-19, 07:37 PM
As Gunnar inspects the secret door, a part of the coffin catches his eye. Looking at the back of it, He's able to spot that a very small part of it seems to be designed to be pushed in.

Celebel's Search of the front of the coffin reveals that, amidst the geometric designs is cleverly hidden a thin slit along the middle of the coffin that runs seven feet in length. Peering in She's able to see that something glints faintly from the light of the sunrod, a blade three and a half feet in length that currently rests on the left of the coffin. On the other side she's able to spot some large looking springs inside the coffin that connect to the lid, as well as connecting to some contraption of gears that connect to the blade.

Theresa is able to detect no magic on the left and right doors, and she notices that the secret door falls into that area around the coffin that eats up divination magic and is unable to tell whether there is magic upon the door or not. Besides the magical possessions of her allies nothing glows with magic.

Gunnar's examination of the apparent doors shows that there is indeed unusual stonework inside the holes. The stone at the end of each hole is capable of being pushed back. With a clever angle he's also able to see that at the end of each hole, something metal glints from thin slits in the holes that run the width of them.

OOC: I think I got everything. Sorry, been a little busy with stuffs.

Maurkov
2008-05-20, 12:21 PM
((You've got Gunnar listed twice. I think Wellington finds the button?))

Gunnar

Gunnar studies the door holes for another minute. "I'd wager that sticking fingers in certain holes will open this portal. I'd further wager that sticking fingers in the wrong holes will get them punctured or lopped off. Lacking enough sets of fingers (or the means to regrow them), I say we leave these closed for now. We might find codes further in. Maybe through there," he points at the hidden door. "Once we've got that door opened, I'll crack the coffin."

Pink
2008-05-21, 08:19 PM
OOC: Oops, here, let me rectify a bit. I actually forgot something too.

Wellington is able to confirm Gunnar's theory on the right(1) and left (2) doors. Furthermore, on the left door, he's able to spot that it has very small hinges connecting the doubledoors and that the visible hinges are not actually attached to the door. He's also able to see by a very slight angling that, unlike the other door (1), this door seems to have some sort've force or held tension pressing against it. All three doors are locked, that is there seems to be something preventing them from moving as opposed to an actual lock.

Maurkov
2008-05-22, 12:12 PM
Gunnar

"Hmm. Anyone have a Mage Hand prepared?"

So for (2), the doors are hinged together and under tension. Could they conceivably swing together, crushing a person standing before them, like this?

(1 sq = 1')
#####-----'-----#####
.........GGG.........
.........GGG.........
.........GGG.........

#####..../'\....#####
......../...\........
......./.GGG.\.......
....../..GGG..\......

#####....|'|....#####
.........|.|.........
.........|G|.........
.........|G|.........
.........|G|.........

Pink
2008-05-22, 12:18 PM
OOC: That could conceivably be the trap. It is worth mentioning that each door is five feet wide, ten feet tall.

Quxelopqr
2008-05-22, 05:31 PM
OOC- I can't access my character sheet, I'm not sure why the tangled web isn't working right now. I'll try to get it to work again and post when it's back up.

Pink
2008-05-22, 06:24 PM
OOC: I personally recommend these days for character profilers, myth-weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php) or the gothmoor profiler (http://www.gothmoor.shonuffstudios.com/profiler/). Also, I have to say I've dropped the ball. I've been forgetting to mention that as each person enters the room the roundel on the ceiling begins to show images of their death by some horrific manner. Now that you've all entered it's moving from party member to party member. Currently It has Theresa being attached by some swarm of small flying things, and wherever they touch a huge swelling bulge appears, until she's horrible disfigured and blood begins to ooze from each sting.

Maurkov
2008-05-27, 12:22 AM
Gunnar

"Anyone...?" Gunnar chuffs. "My homunculus* is livelier than you guys."

"Alright. I'm going to try the button on the coffin to see if that opens the hidden door. You may want to stand back."

Gunnar stands away from the door and coffin, reaches, and presses the button.*Now that the homunculus has finished ferrying the ring around, it will stay ~200 feet behind us (it lacks evasion), so for now hovering in the entry shaft.

If Gunnar can reach it from there:

###++###
#......#
#.....G#
'...%%.+
'...%%.#
#......#
#......#
###++###

Quxelopqr
2008-05-28, 12:33 PM
Cory backs about 25 feet away from Gunnar as he pushes the button, avoiding the trapdoors.

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-28, 10:45 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

If there's time before Gunnar presses the button, Wellington will flee the room!

He may be able to disarm traps, but if they blow up in his face he's not as able to dodge them!

Pink
2008-05-28, 10:46 PM
OOC: Really you shouldn't be reaching it from there. Oh well, doesn't make a difference where you stand.

The 'secret' Doors are ten feet wide ten feet tall, same dimensions as the other doors found so far.

IC: As Gunnar pushes the button there is a simple clicking sound. Next comes some grinding mechanical sounds from within the coffin, and the finally the louder sound of stone grinding across stone as the secret stone doors, hidden to be part of the wall, swing open. Revealed from behind them is a third pair of doors that are identical to the sets on the left and right.

Maurkov
2008-05-28, 11:30 PM
Gunnar

Gunnar nods in satisfaction. "Next up, I'll disarm the blade trap, and we can see about opening the coffin. It might contain clues as to the safe operation of the doors." He checks the top of the coffin for pressure plates, then climbs up and attempts to disarm the trap from above.

[roll0]

He'll try three times, if necessary, then give someone else a shot.
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Pink
2008-05-28, 11:32 PM
After his first try, the artificer feels that he's done the job of disconnecting the lid of the coffin from the trigger that would set off the blade.

Maurkov
2008-05-29, 12:55 PM
Gunnar

Gunnar spares a glance at the moving picture horror show playing above his head. "Another success. By now, usually something goes *BOOM*."

He leaps down from the coffin (floating the last six inches to the floor). "Cory, you seem a strapping lad. Will you help me with this lid?"

Is Gunnar's +4 and Cory's +3 enough to move the lid?

Beren One-Hand
2008-05-29, 01:21 PM
Wellington 'de Luc

While the others are working on the coffin, Wellington flies over to examine the newly exposed doors. Before he enters the opened secret door, however he looks over their hinges and using a combination of his magic and tools he attempts to wreck the hinges so they won't be able to move the doors back.

Disable Device Door 1 [roll0] plus a shatter spell used if it is less or equal to nine pounds.
Disable Device Door 2 [roll1] plus a shatter spell used if it is less or equal to nine pounds.

Search the new doors [roll2], [roll3], [roll4]

Quxelopqr
2008-05-31, 12:21 AM
Cory

"Sure thing." He walks to the other side of the coffin and assists lifting it up.

Pink
2008-05-31, 11:50 AM
As Cory and Gunnar lift the coffin up from the front they only hear a clicking sound as they raise the lid of the coffin about two inches, then a three and a half foot long blade sweeps out from the hidden crevice in the middle of the coffin's front, slicing harmlessly across the b top of Gunnar's breastplate but hitting waist level on Cory and cutting through a weak point in the armor. (Cory 14 damage).

As the blade reaches and goes into the other side of the coffin, there is another clicking sound.

((Just for clarification, what the button pressing did was move away a secret door, revealing a easily recognizable door behind it. There is still no open passageway as of yet. Each has a set of double doors with the three finger holes at waist level on the right door.))

With his tools and some shattering of rock Wellington removes the doors that were disguised at part of the stone wall from their hinges, having them drop on the floor and crash to the ground with no small amount of noise. He finds no other doors than the ones to the left and right of the room and the one behind the coffin.

Maurkov
2008-06-01, 08:41 PM
Gunnar

Gunnar flinches as the blade sparks against his armor. He looks across the coffin lid. "You okay? I thought I disabled that one." He's concerned about Cory, but can't help but glance at the mechanism that outsmarted him.

I thought (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4386346&postcount=121) I did....

Can Gunnar figure out where he went wrong? Were there redundant blade traps? Or was the 31 DD (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4386339&postcount=120) insufficient?

Pink
2008-06-01, 10:09 PM
OOC: When/if you examine the insides all will be clear.

Quxelopqr
2008-06-03, 08:00 PM
Putting a hand to his side, Cory looks into the coffin so see where the blade came from.

Maurkov
2008-06-04, 04:29 PM
Gunnar

"Toes!," he says as he pushes the coffin lid over to Cory's side so that the priest can use it as a shield (in case that clicking sound was the trap resetting). Then he moves to the head* of the coffin to likewise examine the mechanism.

*head or foot, which ever side the blade didn't pass through.[roll0]

Pink
2008-06-05, 09:27 PM
Details: The top of the coffin is hinged like you would take for granted in modern coffins. Heavy stone but hinged.

Looking into the coffin even the untrained eye can see a mechanism operated by two giant springs with a large, sharp three and a half foot blade. To Gunnar's eyes however, he sees two mechanisms, one the trap, and the second the accompanying gears that the button on the back of the coffin must've activated to open the door.

The trap is an ingenious design, the blade to slice from the front gap first when the lid is opened, and then back after a small amount of time, automatically reseting to go off again when the lid was lifted. However, the lack of the returning swing shows that Gunnar indeed did disable the trap, just not the initial trap as he first had thought.

Maurkov
2008-06-09, 01:19 PM
Gunnar

Gunnar shakes his head muttering about rookie mistakes. Gunnar calls over to Wellington, "Anything different about those doors compared to the others?"

Anything in there besides the trap mechanism? Is the coffin made of wood or stone?

OOC, did you randomly determine whether Gunnar had disabled the trap vs. the reset mechanism? If it was deterministic, would a better search have helped? Would additional searching after the disarm have revealed the error?

Also, will you let us know when we beat the DD DC by 10 so we can choose whether to break or bypass?

Pink
2008-06-09, 11:29 PM
The coffin is made of stone.

For the first part, that for the DM to know and the players to worry about I'm afraid :P

For the second, Well, I did mention that apart of this was trying to get away from just the dice rolling and such. Heck, a creative solution without a dice roll that would work will work in disarming traps. However, yes, when it's betten by 10 and is reasonable I'll tell you.

Also...Are you my only player left? I've only 3 in the other game and could toss you in if there's no response from anyone else and you're willing.

Maurkov
2008-06-09, 11:46 PM
I know Beren became busy irl. Not sure what happened to Mxyzptlk or Kesnit.

Yes, please, I'd rather have people to talk to.

Pink
2008-06-09, 11:48 PM
OOC: Just going to wait till I get back from work tomorrow before I do spur of a moment thing here. BTW, you have some wands and such on you right? The other party lacks healing capability.

Maurkov
2008-06-09, 11:54 PM
Yes, Gunnar has a fully charged wand of CLW.

Kesnit
2008-06-10, 04:05 PM
I'm here and reading. However, since the latest posts have been about searching for and disarming traps, Theresa is a little out of her depth.

Pink
2008-06-10, 07:35 PM
There's always roleplaying, however I did warn that this is a trap dungeon.

I'll wait another day for any others to possibly show up. If there's three of you still we'll continue, if not, I'll merge.

That is, assuming you guys still want to continue as is. Maurkov? Kesnit?

Maurkov
2008-06-10, 10:50 PM
Gunnar

"No hints on the doors, then. Hmm." Gunnar takes a few moments to search the inside of the coffin. Another idea strikes him. He climbs up to the ceiling to examine the roundel above the coffin. If that reveals nothing of interest, he'll go and check the revealed doors where Wellington stands paralyzed.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

-2 if the traps aren't stone related.

I'm in no rush to decide. I'll be out of town Thursday through Sunday.

Quxelopqr
2008-06-10, 10:53 PM
My free time has been compromised with the addition of a summer job and I feel I should pull out of this game so I don't hold the party back. Sorry, I really enjoyed playing while I did. You can npc Cory if you'd like.

Pink
2008-06-11, 10:49 PM
OOC: Alright, It's time for action. I'm terribly sorry to any other players who return to see this message, but with one person admitting they don't have the time on their hands and after nearly a week with only two players showing they're still here, I am closing this game. Kesnit and Maurkov, you will now have the option to be transported to the other game via the details below. If the other players return to see this, Pm me and we'll see if something can be worked out, however there may just be a chance that you simply won't be able to play this game anymore.

Anyway, without further ado.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Gunnar peers up at the roundel, seeing it's mocking images of the death of himself and his companions, he suddenly hears a clicking from inside the coffin and spots from inside it a tiny mirror suddenly being revealed from a hidden compartment. Before anyone can react the mechanism, supported by a stone rod, shoots up and the light of the sunrod is reflected by the angle of the mirror straight up into the roundel. At first nothing seems to happen, and then suddenly everything goes white.

When you can see again you're standing in the same room. Or so it seems at a first glance, however quickly you spot differences. The mirror from the coffin and the stone rod that supported it have now disappeared. The stucco has not been completely removed in this room though all the doors are revealed. The doors to the left and right of the coffin seem to have been opened, though the pair behind the coffin are closed. There also seem to be steel spikes embedded into the back of the coffin. And, most importantly, many of your group seem to be missing and instead in this room is a halfling, a Elf in the robes of a scholar, and a humanoid that seems of a similar build to a dwarf, however with exotic features.

((Feel free to move over to the other IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4451566#post4451566) and OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78200) thread, and post in the IC thread an introductionary/desciptive post of your character suddenly appearing in their room. I believe I've given the necessary descriptions of the room.))

((Maur: You humoncolous notices nothing within the shaft of the entrance and you can still do that sensing thing. If it comes to the room it has also merged though. ))