PDA

View Full Version : racial ajustment

Jayngfet
2008-04-17, 11:53 PM
I was planning out my world when I had an idea on gnomes, spider charmers, I already have a backstory on it and an important npc and I was wondering

racial animal companion or base class?

The spiders cast weak spells and have their own template.

sonofzeal
2008-04-18, 12:13 AM
Gnomes and spiders? I'm really not seeing it, but okay. Animal companions (as Druid) are incredably powerful, and far out of line with an LA +0 race, especially one with a number of other good trinkets like Gnomes have. Giving the animal spellcasting on top of it only makes it worse. I'm not seeing a logical way to pull this off as a racial traight for anything less than LA+2. I could see it as a variant Druid though, maybe 3/4 casting progression but the spider gets 1/4 wiz progression. That may sound weaker than a straight Druid, but you're getting twice the spells per turn. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

RTGoodman
2008-04-18, 12:23 AM
Here's what I would suggest doing:

-Remove the Craft (Alchemy) and Listen skill bonuses and add in +2 racial bonus to two of the following: Ride, Knowledge (Nature), or Handle Animal.
-Change Speak with Burrowing Mammal to Speak with Spider (or something)
-Favored Class: Ranger (or maybe Druid)

Then, if you need something more specific, make it a Druid- or Ranger-based Prestige Class that eventually gets an awakened spider or at least magical beast spider companion with some minor spell-like and supernatural abilities..

Jayngfet
2008-04-18, 12:44 AM
thanks for the suggestions, think I'll add to the LA +1 take away spells, and make a base class that adds spells and concentrates on the companion...

what do you think?

Kizara
2008-04-18, 12:47 AM
Here's what I would suggest doing:

-Remove the Craft (Alchemy) and Listen skill bonuses and add in +2 racial bonus to two of the following: Ride, Knowledge (Nature), or Handle Animal.
-Change Speak with Burrowing Mammal to Speak with Spider (or something)
-Favored Class: Ranger (or maybe Druid)

Then, if you need something more specific, make it a Druid- or Ranger-based Prestige Class that eventually gets an awakened spider or at least magical beast spider companion with some minor spell-like and supernatural abilities..

Good suggestions and starting points. This is what I would do if I wanted to make spider gnomes.

Jayngfet
2008-04-18, 12:56 AM
Good suggestions and starting points. This is what I would do if I wanted to make spider gnomes.

spider gnome, spider gnome, does whatever a spider gnome does, can he cast, color spray, no he can't, he's a gnome...

Person_Man
2008-04-18, 08:41 AM
You're the DM. You don't need to use the same physics/game mechanics as your players. You just need to have appropriate stats written down for Skills and combat. If you want gnomes with spellcasting spider pets/mounts, then you just get them. You don't need to give the gnomes class levels of Druid or Ranger or Vermin Keeper or whatever. You're the DM.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-18, 08:49 AM
You're the DM. You don't need to use the same physics/game mechanics as your players. You just need to have appropriate stats written down for Skills and combat. If you want gnomes with spellcasting spider pets/mounts, then you just get them. You don't need to give the gnomes class levels of Druid or Ranger or Vermin Keeper or whatever. You're the DM.

Sure, but if he's customizing a race, it should have some sort of built-in mechanical balance, especially since it's a core race and likely available for PCs to use.