PDA

View Full Version : DMing a Solo Star Wars D20 campaign..ishthing (any ideas or tips?)

Xero Kunai
2008-04-18, 12:07 AM
I recently came into possession of (digital versions) of a few of the Star Wars D20 rulebooks and me and a friend (the only one who would actually play) decided to try it. I decided to be DM, since he seemed a tad sketchy about it (I did too, never had done it before) And sometimes I find it hard to find mission ideas for his character.
His character was an Imperial Mercenary (Soldier) Until he was trained by.. some darksider within the Empire.. either Vader or some other big baddy. And is now a Darkside JG. Eitherway, It's hard to make missions for him because he is Solo, and either it's too easy or he gets horribly overwhelmed.
In one mission I introduced two extremely powerful npcs, merely an introduction (And a Darkside escape should he repent some time later) but his arrogance, and that of one of the npcs, caused it to become a fight. This fight left him screwed.. (Lost both his lightsabers, but not before criting once and getting close to victory, I was suprised) and later his left forearm...
Either way, what are good Imperial Darkside missions for a Solo 2 Sol, 3 JG?.. Any tips on how to do this?
Currently I believe, last time he was here, his character has crashlanded on Kashyyyk and is being hunted by old foes he angered in the past.. (Kashyyyk floor... sucky I know)...
Also, I dunno if this is the right section to post this.. it seemed right..

Xero Kunai
2008-04-18, 12:12 AM
I didn't mean to capitalize solo, it makes it seem strange.

Kizara
2008-04-18, 12:21 AM
What version of SW RPG are you playing? Revised core or SAGA?

Xero Kunai
2008-04-18, 05:04 PM
Revised Core, Saga seems way too simple

SilverSheriff
2008-04-18, 10:33 PM
Revised Core, Saga seems way too simple

Revised Core is broken, hope you've done your part to fix it...or are playing all jedi or none...

Xero Kunai
2008-04-19, 02:11 PM
What do you mean broken? And as I said, only one character and he's a Jedi O_o...

turkishproverb
2008-04-20, 01:00 AM
Revised Core is broken, hope you've done your part to fix it...or are playing all jedi or none...

And saga edition's Skill system is worthless. Frankly, he Jedi problem can be about as easy to fix.

TehJhu
2008-04-20, 01:03 AM
And saga edition's Skill system is worthless. Frankly, he Jedi problem can be about as easy to fix.

You think? I like Saga skills.

Kizara
2008-04-20, 02:47 AM

I was thinking about running a revised core game for my next campaign for my DnD group.

Personally, the jedi seemed strong at fighting in melee and were fairly versitile, but not really overpowering. I mean, with the greater importance on skills and accomplishing goals through means aside from hacking things with lighsabers in that system, the ability to do that isn't that fantastic.

I mean, I think that the noble's favor abilities and leadership skills can be just as campaign-pivoting as Enhance Ability or Move Object.

Ossian
2008-04-20, 07:51 AM
I know your feelings bro! My group just disappeared, abducted by a CR 200 monster called Life, and I was left with but one player, who deos solo missions too on his way to whatever life has in store for him. He actually just got frozen by the rebellion as he screwed up too much in a couple of missions and they won't trust him with more, but hesitate to slam him into cannon fodder infantry (AT ATs please stomp me!) or combat instructor.
Roleplay wise, the world of solos is as challenging as it is frustrating. I do allow him to break the rules a bit. In order to break monotony and keep him entertained the missions have to change in tone quite often. Thus he gets "solo of fortune missions" with bangbangs and whamwhams, and investigation missions where you face uber corporations that can fry you in no time if you make single mistake (you can be a level 20 jedi, you still want to tread lightly when spying on the Tapani Sector financial scams), and more explorative scenarioses. I try to throw in from time to time a scenario that helps develop his background and reveals parts of it.
This leads us to the numbers: a solo needs to be able to count on his strength alone. Moreover, the PLAYER is alone. You don't know how much some group brainstorming can ease things for you until you are alone VS the galaxy. He needs a broad range of skills and good equipment.
Thus, he developed this Force Adept (Uban/Hero's Guide) - Jedi Guardian who has just hit level 8 (1/7) and got his knighthood (but he is of course not a knight per se, since the campaignis set in 1 ABY).

In solo missions you have the advantage of the JEDI ONLY or NO JEDI AT ALL rule respected 100%. RCR seems to be regarded as a broken system, but I do have to say I always enjoyed it very much, and without a single fix that did not come from the Jedi Counselling on the WOTC website, most of which augmented the jedis' powers!
He is a scouter, and an explorer, thus he has good technical skills, more than decent combat ability and invested in some more "social" skills. As a matter of fact, when I GM him, a failed sense motive check in a sedy cantina can get you killed just like a failed bluff when you are delivering 200 fake printed circuits to the rival hutt gang.

Thus, he needs force skills to get a barely sufficient edge over the baddies, boosting his awareness of the surroundings, influencing oither people's attitude towards him, and boosting dexterity for defense, acrobatics and stealth.

THE HOOKS :smallwink:

A good series of hook for your SOL2/JG3 (next level is gonna be awesome) could be to find him a potentially lucrative job for some shady NPC of questionable morality and infinite means of retaliation, and catch him in a series of hits on the rival boss. I'm talking high-end criminal minds, a couple of leagues above Jabba since they also get the coating of legality. Stuff like (making up) "Core Defense Initiative - C.D.I." the company that won the tender made by the Empire for the surveillance and military security of the Galaxy Core Perimeter. Stuff like "Coruscant Genetics", collecting DNA samples from all over the galaxy, stealing alien samples (vegetal, animal) and industrial secrets from fortress laboratories. Guys like the "Priory of Dathomir", a bunch of sycophants who take after the witches of Dathomir while having never even been there, maybe with some slight force sensitivity, immense wealth, and loads of delusions of grandeur (I can see the bored nobleman who wells into magic and sorcery just to kill time).

I mean, the possibilities are endless!

O.