PDA

View Full Version : my name is drozzit do-BAM

Jayngfet
2008-04-18, 01:09 AM
quick question, whats so great about drizzt do'urden and why the do'urden are there so many clones?

Reinboom
2008-04-18, 01:11 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drizzt
He's a pretty interesting character, er, alone.
The thing is, fanboys love trying to remake him for some reason. Over and over again. I believe it's an "I get to be the good suppressed person that I am in real life!" style of 'emo' movement that occurs a lot, or something.

Personally, I have never seen a Drizzt clone yet (other than in the comics here)

Khanderas
2008-04-18, 01:12 AM
I would imagine its the Marty Stu effect.
Basically, everyone want to be, smart, agile, successful, SPECIAL with a unique backstory. What makes it annoying is the sheer number of unique people who are all the same.

Person_Man
2008-04-18, 08:50 AM
I'm an old gamer (30). Back in the day when we were playing 1st and 2nd ed, Drizzt was the first D&D character to burst into semi-mainstream through his many books. Many first time players came to D&D specifically to play a character styled after Drizzit, Wulfgar, Regis, Artemis, etc. In fact, the Ranger's class abilities arguably are what they are (TWF, animal companion, Skills, spells) specifically to mirror Drizzit's abilities in the novels.

Of course, this has lead to a backlash. Many people who don't like Drizzit (or are sick of seeing people play against type - how many Chaotic Good Drow are there anyway? Aren't they supposed to be 99% Lawful Evil?) dislike Drizzit clones in their games.

Charity
2008-04-18, 09:00 AM
I'm an old gamer (30). Back in the day when we were playing 1st and 2nd ed, Drizzt was the first D&D character to burst into semi-mainstream through his many books..
Pah, call that old, bleedin wippersnapper.

...how many Chaotic Good Drow are there anyway? Aren't they supposed to be 99% Lawful Evil?) dislike Drizzit clones in their games.

PM I'm suprised at you! Drow were always CE surely, (and yet have a complex and strangely ordered society, ok so they should be LE, but famously wern't)

Fighteer
2008-04-18, 09:03 AM
You also see this "popularity" effect in MMOs. If I had a gold piece for every Elf Hunter named Drizzt or some variant thereof, I could buy myself a nice castle in a swamp.

If I added to that every Legolas, Gimli, and Sephiroth wannabe, I could move that castle to a scenic hilltop overlooking the ocean.

I've DM'ed groups where nearly every single character was a clone of some fantasy novel hero. The problem with this is when the players start wanting their characters to do the things that their alter egos did in whatever stories they came from. Either these concepts are completely at odds with your planned campaign, or they are extremely cheesy/OP.

Trog
2008-04-18, 09:18 AM
Well, back in 2.0 drow elves could wield a long sword in each hand without penalties, got innate magical powers, 90' darkvision, etc. So many people played drow for the innate advantage they gave in the game. Having no other drow to fashion themselves after, when The Crystal Shard came out many people fell back on the Do'Urden model.

Now that's as exciting and as original as, say, a dwarf who drinks. :smallannoyed:

Drizzt Do'Urden, much like the term "bling bling" is dead.

Person_Man
2008-04-18, 09:31 AM
PM I'm suprised at you! Drow were always CE surely, (and yet have a complex and strangely ordered society, ok so they should be LE, but famously wern't)

Gah, you're right! I had forgotten. It's crazy, really, because according to every book, they had one of the most structured societies in the realms. A powerful matriarchy/theocracy, strict rituals, a disciplined military, organized slavery, etc.

They're listed as NE now, at least. Which still doesn't make any sense.

Jayngfet
2008-04-18, 12:59 PM
Gah, you're right! I had forgotten. It's crazy, really, because according to every book, they had one of the most structured societies in the realms. A powerful matriarchy/theocracy, strict rituals, a disciplined military, organized slavery, etc.

they had to take into account drazzit, drozzt, droozit, drezzit, ddizzt, dreazzt, and sue.

Fawsto
2008-04-18, 02:13 PM
The character was well developed. But is, somehow, a character made to an RPG scnario that does only work well alone. It is strange, I admit, but I still like him. I just won't try and remake him, you know, I prefer original characters.

Sup, do you have any spare time? If you could do me a favor and take a look at the thread linked in my sig I'd be grateful. Remember to give your opinion. Have a nice reading.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-18, 02:19 PM
The books bored me, the character was bland, and nobody has ever tried to play a clone of him. Jaraxl (sp) on the other hand, THAT is a character I could clone a million times and never get sick of.

horseboy
2008-04-21, 01:16 PM
they had to take into account drazzit, drozzt, droozit, drezzit, ddizzt, dreazzt, and sue.
You left out Legozit and Drizolas.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-21, 01:38 PM
You left out Legozit and Drizolas.

Drizziroth. He dual-wields fifty-foot long katanas.

Eldariel
2008-04-21, 01:43 PM
Without penalties.

And yea, I'll second Jarlaxle being so much cooler as a concept. On top of the sitiuation, extremely cunning, creative and ruthless without really being evil.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-21, 02:05 PM

To be fair, the society is based around tricking their chaotic natures in to serving the whole. I mean, killing and fighting rival houses occurs all the time. Yes it has a hierarchy, but can you really call any civilization in which one house attacks another in the middle of the city, just invades and butchers, not even an attempt at subtlety, Lawful?

Of course, Neutral evil makes no sense by any criteria.

hamishspence
2008-04-21, 02:12 PM
Fail to destroy enemy house entirely, thus leaving nobles alive to accuse, and full wrath of drow society comes down on the offending house.

Number one commandment of Drow society: Thou Shalt Not Get Caught!

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-21, 02:23 PM
Fail to destroy enemy house entirely, thus leaving nobles alive to accuse, and full wrath of drow society comes down on the offending house.

Number one commandment of Drow society: Thou Shalt Not Get Caught!

Exactly my point, that's not exactly lawful. It doesn't matter if everyone knows you did something, no one will try to find proof. It's only when proof is forced upon them that anyone is punished for anything by the Law.

Moff Chumley
2008-04-21, 04:38 PM
Sup, do you have any spare time? If you could do me a favor and take a look at the thread linked in my sig I'd be grateful. Remember to give your opinion. Have a nice reading.
Shameless self promotion is annoying. :mad:

Drizzt Do'Urden, much like the term "bling bling" is dead.

Sigged.

DrizztFan24
2008-04-21, 05:08 PM
*Looks at name and cries in a corner*

Yes I am living proof of the issue presented.:smallbiggrin: There are sooooo many clones it is ridiculous. Sadly though, I have seen people channel their hate towards the literary character because: the way that someone played a clone in their game, they meet so many clones in MMORPGs, the way that the clone was played by some 13 year old with the annoying voice.

I think it is kind of sad personally that people attack Drizzt and Mr. Salvatore for the effects of the literature. Hate the player (points to self), don't hate the game.

{/CRYINGINCORNER} :smalltongue:

UglyPanda
2008-04-21, 05:11 PM
I've seen one R.A. Salvatore fan and one person who was into Drow because of the Male-Domination undertones the race possessed. The Fan created a Drizz't clone (It was obvious, but we didn't care at the time), the Wannabe-Dominatrix had her character attempt to make a society of evil and spent five minutes discussing with the other what color the robes should have been.

After that I underwent a good deal of Elf-hatred for a little bit.