View Full Version : Earthquake in IL/IN

wxdruid
2008-04-18, 08:27 AM
Earthquake (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/18/illinois.earthquake/index.html) in Illinois and Indiana

I woke up shortly before it and then wondered why my house was shaking...catlover (my daughter) slept right through it.

It was quite interesting. People have reported feeling it all the way down to GA.

Shishnarfne
2008-04-18, 08:33 AM
I thought that the articles reference to the New Madrid quakes of ~1811 as "huge tremors" a little bit of an understatement, but while I understand that quakes have happened in that part of the country on occaision, we don't usually expect them...
At least it sounds like there wasn't much real damage, skimming the article... So that's probably fairly good for there being an earthquake in the region for the first time in decades.

(However, the New Madrid quake was said to have been felt all the way to DC, and even changed the flow of the Mississippi... I think it was pretty big one...)

Trog
2008-04-18, 08:39 AM
Didn't feel a thing. Then again I sleep like a log most of the time.

*falls asleep, rolls downstairs, and over the neighbor's dog*

BRC
2008-04-18, 08:58 AM
All my friends are talking about it, but I slept through it.

Midnighter1021
2008-04-18, 09:16 AM
I'm in Milwaukee Wi and I felt the quakes...well to clarify, my dog felt the shakes and I felt my dog standing on my head as I was sleeping as she looked out the window.

wxdruid
2008-04-18, 10:10 AM
I just felt another tremor. Everything shook for a moment. The first one was a 5.2, the second one was a 4.6

Kyrian
2008-04-18, 11:19 AM
Thankfully I don't think we caught the second.

The first one scared the crap out of me last night.

5:45am + Red Bull + maybe 5hours of sleep the last night + seeing commercials for Cloverfield and other such movies = NOT A VERY GOOD COMBINATION TO EXPERIENCE YOUR FIRST EARTHQUAKE.

streakster
2008-04-18, 11:21 AM
Slept right through it.

WalkingTarget
2008-04-18, 11:52 AM
I woke up during the main one, was already awake for the second one, and have been feeling other much smaller tremors all morning. It's kind of disconcerting simply given that we don't get them here very often.

Shishnarfne
2008-04-18, 11:53 AM
Thankfully I don't think we caught the second.

The first one scared the crap out of me last night.

5:45am + Red Bull + maybe 5hours of sleep the last night + seeing commercials for Cloverfield and other such movies = NOT A VERY GOOD COMBINATION TO EXPERIENCE YOUR FIRST EARTHQUAKE.

We felt the 10:15am one here in class, which prompted the professor to tell a story similar to this...

He recounted that they'd last had one that he felt in about 1968, and he said that at the time smoked oysters were a relatively popular appetizer, and that the combination of oysters and alcohol made him a bit sick...

He said that he woke up, thought that he must be quite sick, then felt better when he saw a book fall off of a shelf.
Spoiler for those who don't appreciate mild college humor involving hangovers.

Mando Knight
2008-04-18, 12:09 PM
Felt 'em both. The only reason why I didn't sleep through the first was that I pulled an all-nighter to do homework... again. The aftershock didn't surprise me nearly as much as the main shock, since I had read that aftershocks frequently occur after earthquakes...

How many of y'all just experienced their first earthquake? *raises hand*

Grogah
2008-04-18, 12:23 PM
First one shook me awake, but I figured it was my floor fan getting ready to die, couldn't figure out why it didn't sound funny though, so I went over to see what was wrong, and then everything was normal so I said "screw it" and went back to sleep figuring I'd fix the fan in the morning.

First earthquake for me (which I felt, ostensibly we had a 3.0 something out east once, but I didn't even notice it).

RTGoodman
2008-04-18, 12:26 PM
Man, I miss all the fun stuff.

All we had was a giant warehouse fire downtown yesterday that produced a column of black smoke so tall people could see it more than 30 miles away...

:smalltongue:

The Valiant Turtle
2008-04-18, 04:14 PM
The first one woke me up due to the tree outside my window scraping against the house, even though it was really the house scraping against the tree.

I just barely felt the aftershock.

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-18, 08:54 PM
I live south of St. Louis. My mother was woken up by the quake, and several times by aftershocks. I, on the other hand, am ashamed to admit I slept through it all.

Dorizzit
2008-04-18, 08:57 PM
I slept through it, but I was really far from the epicenter.

Syka
2008-04-18, 09:44 PM
I completely missed the, like, one earthquake we had in Florida since I've been alive. I'm not complaining. :)

Glad everyone is alright, that's always good to hear.

Cheers,
Syka

Vaynor
2008-04-18, 10:02 PM
Try living in California. :smallamused:

sktarq
2008-04-19, 12:23 PM

Funny I've been thinking just that since it happened. We had a 4.8 about 4 miles from my apartment last week. It was worth about two inches in the local paper. *Snore* But then again it does give up incredible building codes.

Flying Elephant
2008-04-19, 01:14 PM
I'm in the NE corner of Illinois, and I (unfortunately) managed to sleep right through my first earthquake.

WalkingTarget
2008-04-19, 01:57 PM

No. :smalltongue:

See, not having to deal with earthquakes is usually a plus of being in the midwest. I also don't have to deal with hurricanes or flooding (in my particular location). :smallwink:

Shadow
2008-04-19, 02:00 PM
I'm in the NE corner of Illinois, and I (unfortunately) managed to sleep right through my first earthquake.

Same here.
I guess my Mom was right all those years ago.
I can sleep right through an earthquake. :smallamused:
No. :smalltongue:

See, not having to deal with earthquakes is usually a plus of being in the midwest. I also don't have to deal with hurricanes or flooding (in my particular location). :smallwink:Tornado alley dude.
We've got tornadoes.

The big one that hit in '90? If you find the news footage you'll see me (and the rest of my family) digging through the debris of what was my grandparent's place.
My grandma decided to bring my cousins over to our place to go swimming that day. She never did that. But that day she decided to.
They lived on the second story of the three story Crest Lake apartments. My Aunt was home at the time with her boyfriend and their 140 pound dog. When it hit, she thought she fell through the floor.
What actually happened was: She was sucked out the window and thrown into a different window four buildings down the street. But it happened so fast that she thought she fell through the floor.
I said that they lived on the second story of a three story building? That's important because the didn't have a roof anymore. Third story was completely gone.
The 140 pound dog?
Never found.
So what would have happened if the kids were there instead of swimming at our house?

Cut to the scene at our house.
A three bedroom ranch that now houses Myself
My mom
My dad
My sister
My sister's two cats
My grandmother
My grandfather
My aunt
My four year old cousin
My two year old cousin
Their puppy (that came over swimming that day/not good with the cats)
My aunt's boyfriend
And all with NO POWER FOR SIX SAYS!
That my not sound like a big deal, but we lived in unincorporated Joliet at the time. Which means we had a well. No power means no water either.
No fun.

Say what you want about the wonders of the Midwest, but tornadoes SUCK!

WalkingTarget
2008-04-20, 07:32 AM
Say what you want about the wonders of the Midwest, but tornadoes SUCK!

Yup, they sure do. I'm sorry that you were affected by one so much. :smalleek:

Illinois isn't as bad as, say, Oklahoma though. They're also much more localized than hurricanes, earthquakes, or large-scale flooding like back in '93.

bosssmiley
2008-04-20, 09:45 AM
Earthquake (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/18/illinois.earthquake/index.html) in Illinois and Indiana

Ah, that would be Dethklok awakening Mustakrakish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Blmy6l0R6M) then...

RtBT
2008-04-20, 10:01 AM
I read that there would be a major earthquake in california within the next 30 years =S

wxdruid
2008-04-21, 02:59 PM
There was another earthquake (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/04/21/illinois.quake/index.html?iref=mpstoryview) recorded early this morning.

I slept through this one.

wojonatior
2008-04-21, 03:49 PM
i slept through it (no surprise i Have woken up on my hardwood floor in the morning)plus im in michigan metro detroit area

Szilard
2008-04-21, 08:21 PM

I moved to California after the one in '94, I think I was born right before it, halfway around the world.

Raiser Blade
2008-04-21, 09:18 PM
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9113/1204076141297zy2.png

I think this sums it up. :smalltongue:

Khanderas
2008-04-22, 06:28 AM
Didn't feel a thing. Then again I sleep like a log most of the time.

*falls asleep, rolls downstairs, and over the neighbor's dog*
Good for a snack ? :smallwink:

Bassikpoet
2008-04-22, 07:12 AM
I cant believe it. I move to Japan and expect to have an earthquake every month (haven't had one since I've been here). And then TWO earthquakes happen near where I lived back in the States. (Where there hasnt been a substantial earthquake as long as I've been alive). I guess I'm human earthquake repellent.

wojonatior
2008-04-22, 02:08 PM
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9113/1204076141297zy2.png

I think this sums it up. :smalltongue:

sadly thats true:smallwink:

wxdruid
2008-04-26, 08:57 AM
Well, the tremors continue, there was a 3.7 yesterday at 12:31pm, but I was in my car and didn't feel it.

Last night, we were in bed and catlover asked what was happening, and we had another earthquake around 9:31pm. She finally felt one of these earthquakes.