PDA

View Full Version : new book

Jayngfet
2008-04-18, 01:07 PM
so I'm buying a new book today, and have enough for only one book and was wondering what books would best benifit a DM about to start a campane with lots of homebrew and undead, templates would be cool, but not too many whole new races since I just finished working the ones I have into my world, base classes and PrC's would be nice, any reccomendations?

SamTheCleric
2008-04-18, 01:09 PM
What books do you have already?

Jayngfet
2008-04-18, 01:10 PM
What books do you have already?

not many, core and cityscape, I mostly use homebrew...

kamikasei
2008-04-18, 01:14 PM
Libris Mortis is the obvious one if you're using undead. Also a possibility is Heroes of Horror.

Then there are the generally good books overall: PHBII, ToB, Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium...

Lord Tataraus
2008-04-18, 01:15 PM
so I'm buying a new book today, and have enough for only one book and was wondering what books would best benifit a DM about to start a campane with lots of homebrew and undead, templates would be cool, but not too many whole new races since I just finished working the ones I have into my world, base classes and PrC's would be nice, any reccomendations?

Well, for undead there is Libris Mortis. For good classes: Tome of Battle. I find Dungeonscape to be good for a lot of things if you have dungeon crawls for both players and the DM.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-18, 01:17 PM
Each of the first completes (Warrior, Arcane, Divine and Adventurer) add 3 base classes and like 10+ prestige classes, some new spells, some new equipment.

Player's Handbook 2 adds 4 new base classes and new options for all the other base classes, a ton of new feats... and good tips for creating the personality side of a character.

The Rules, Magic Item and Spell compendiums are just good to have as volumes of stuff.

If you're into Undead... I'd say either Heroes of Horror, Libris Mortis or Monster Manual 3 (has some good undead in there... :) )

AKA_Bait
2008-04-18, 01:20 PM
I agree with pretty much all the above (PHBII, Dungeonscape, LM, and the RC particularly) and also suggest MM II and MMV depending upon if you need critters.

Jayngfet
2008-04-19, 12:28 AM
well, it was a bust, the nearest bookstore had exactly two non setting specific books and a 4th edition thingy, guess they're saving up for 4th edition...

EvilElitest
2008-04-19, 12:29 AM
Libris Mortis is the obvious one if you're using undead. Also a possibility is Heroes of Horror.

Then there are the generally good books overall: PHBII, ToB, Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium...

Take Heros of Horror, better quality than Libris Mortis
from
EE

Lord Tataraus
2008-04-19, 12:51 AM
well, it was a bust, the nearest bookstore had exactly two non setting specific books and a 4th edition thingy, guess they're saving up for 4th edition...

Well there is always online and depending on the bookstore you might be able to ask them to order the book for you (around me Books-A-Million will do that, you don't have to pay for shipping that way).

Hawriel
2008-04-19, 01:23 AM
I recomend Unearthed Arcana or the complete adventurer. If you like the Adventurer book check out other books of that series.