PDA

View Full Version : SW Saga - Miraluka race

Talya
2008-04-18, 01:10 PM
Okay, I know that one of the Saga Edition book writers (I think it was Christopher Perkins, but I can't remember) posted an "official" stat-block for the Miraluka race in Saga edition, sometime...somewhere...someplace...on this vast series of tubes called teh intarweb.

I can't find it for the life of me. (I don't actually need it to remember what they were, I have them memorized, but damned if I can find the link that would convince any DM in the universe to let me play one.)

Miraluka
Ability Modifiers: -2 dex, +2 int
Medium Size
Speed: 6 squares
Intuitive Initiative: A Miraluka may choose to reroll any initiative check, but the result of the reroll must be accepted even if it is worse.
Impairment: Miraluka do not have functional eyes. If they have eyes at all, they are vestigial white orbs. They are physically blind, giving everything concealment against them.
Bonus Feat: Force Sensitive
Bonus Force Technique: Improved Sense Surroundings - Miraluka actually see through the force. They may use Sense Surroundings (which allows a force user to ignore concealment) as a free action rather than as a swift action. (which essentially negates their blindness.)

Person_Man
2008-04-18, 01:28 PM
Their rules are in the Power of the Jedi Sourcebook.

These links should help you with their racial abilities:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050616a
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20030508counseling

Talya
2008-04-18, 01:36 PM
Yeah, they're in UAA too, but those are not Saga Edition. This was about a conversion from d20 to SWSaga.

Attilargh
2008-04-18, 01:51 PM
I'm afraid Improved Sense Surroundings doesn't work that way (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20080313jc109). Also, the Miraluka would still be flat-footed (erm, is that still a rule?) against attacks, as she would not be able to take that Free Action on the opponents' turn.

Talya
2008-04-18, 02:01 PM
I'm afraid Improved Sense Surroundings doesn't work that way (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20080313jc109). Also, the Miraluka would still be flat-footed (erm, is that still a rule?) against attacks, as she would not be able to take that Free Action on the opponents' turn.

What you linked just talks about rerolling improved sense surroundings (and other free actions), nothing more.

Those were the statistics provided by one of the game designers. I'm just trying to find it.

Anyway, someone's copied it here: http://saga-edition.com/?s=miraluka

I just can't find the source anymore.

Maerok
2008-04-18, 02:10 PM
I'm actually playing a level 7 Soldier (or Soldier 6/Jedi 1, still contemplating until next session) Miraluka and it's been pretty cool. I'm the weapon buff, and as the Miraluka variant without eyes but just eyesockets, I plan to hide small grenades or something behind the blindfold I've got. I took the race on a whim, this being my first Saga adventure and the -2 Dex hasn't really impeded my shootin' skills because I've done as much as I can between feats and the Soldier class to max out attack and damage for rifles.

But I've been captured by a Sith lord (I think), along with a fellow Jedi, who preceded to make us fight each other. The only thing that saved me was that this Jedi is a Kel Dor and I snatched his mask off (spending two destiny points in the process, and I would have used a third to sunder the thing if I could; my character is deeply anti-traitor, on any level.). Yet I'm worried because he could wreak me now that my stuff has been taken away, and he's using Force Lightning, which seems to become his favorite as he talks OOC of joining the Sith... Dumb Force Lightning... It's just the two of us locked in the detention center of a Star Destroyer... So for level 7 I might be a Jedi just to get a leg up, but I don't have Force Training as I was a focusing on being a gunner (Jedi are so passe) nor will I be able to grab Use the Force as a trained skill until 9th level (my Int is 12, so I can't up my modifier to train another skill until 12th). The adventure is coming to an end in a few weeks with the end of classes for the semester so I might as well jump on the Jedi train (either way I don't get a feat, and the BAB is still +1).

Aaaanyywho, I don't see why we can't just say, "Miraluka see via the Force. End of story." You can't really build up a civilization when you have to worry about seeing what the frick you're doing... A planet of people just stumbling around? We've been playing so that it doesn't really matter. Except it's New Republic and the Vong are only a year or two away, in which case the Miraluka are effectively screwed. I asked if I could see the negative impression of the Vong (like sensing that the Force isn't there), but things don't 'look' good.

One thing that is a part of my character that I thought was thematically interesting is that my character is a racist, calling our Quarren "squid face" and the Mon Calamari "fish face", and is an arms dealer selling weapons to have everyone else wipe each other out. The imagery of wearing that headband and being 'physically' blind contrasts interestingly enough with his ignorance.

Attilargh
2008-04-18, 02:18 PM
What you linked just talks about rerolling improved sense surroundings (and other free actions), nothing more.
I just meant that ISS doesn't in fact negate a Miraluka's blindness. It might alleviate it, but as written, the generic Miraluka still has trouble getting dressed in the morning because she has to roll the UtF check when she wants to find her pants.

Maerok
2008-04-18, 02:23 PM
And yet they fly ships!?!?! Can you take 10 on those checks?
We've just been treating it kind of like darkvision more or less (though there hasn't been any combat in the dark or anything like that yet).

Talya
2008-04-18, 02:43 PM
I suppose if you want to be anal about it and force checks for everything, a Miralukan with 18 charisma and Skill Focus - Use the Force cannot fail that sense surroundings check at level 1. A Miralukan with 16 charisma and skill focus cannot fail that check at level 2. 14 charisma, level 4. Etc.

Attilargh
2008-04-18, 02:46 PM
(Gah, ninja'd.)

Yes, yes. I'm actually advocating rolling for something as commonplace as finding one's trousers in the dark. But as you're clearly one of this silly non-rollplaying crowd, let's consider the following encounter that addresses a different part of the problem:

A Miraluka farmer is trying to protect her homestead from a wild Nerf. She calls upon her natural connection to the Force to pinpoint the location of the beast, raises her blaster and gets promptly gored to ribbons because she spent her standard action on searching for the hidden bovine instead of aiming and pulling the trigger.

Hokey religions and mystical powers are no match for a good pair of eyes.

Ędit: But if you insist on playing that version, WizO_Tao has made a conversion, and from his avatar and the url of the unworking link I'd guess this is his.
ĘditII: Alternatively, this thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=954649) cites Gary Sarli as the source of the rules, as printed in RavingDork's .pdf.