PDA

View Full Version : Fire based alchemist

Vikazc
2008-04-18, 07:50 PM
Okay so first thread for me, Im looking for some help.

In the campaign Im currently in, my character has died and I'm rerolling. I want to make a character based around alchemy. Using alchemist fire and acid as primary attacks, with a hefty dose of fire and acid based spell casting. My initial thought was a cleric, but I didn't really like the spellcasting direction. So now Im thinking druid for more fire based goodness.

My question is, avoiding the normal druid Overpowered stuff, natural spellcasting and so on. What can I do to make an effective fire based PC? Ive got the backstory to go with it, and a party that can support a pure damage druid. I don't want to over optimize, but I want to be decent.

Im rolling up a 3rd level charecter, what can I do to make him decent basically? I can provide any other relevant information if its needed. I hope this wasnt too confusing or pointless.

hylian chozo
2008-04-18, 08:44 PM
Be a Gnome and take skill focus: Craft (Alchemy). +5 on your check right there.
Druids do get good fire spells, but don't forget that fire is the most commonly protected against type of energy.

Also, an alchemist druid?:smallconfused: The fluff doesn't really seem to match too well. I'd like to hear the backstory on that one.

Vikazc
2008-04-18, 08:56 PM
Well so far my backstory is, the world being greyhawk, during the most recent war, forget the name, but was particuarly bloody, my druid was the defender of his grove. Caught in the middle of it, his grove was set ablaze by both sides in a large battle. Despite his best efforts it burned to ground. As the war moved on, he remained at his grove, nearly insane with grief. Over the following year, he noted the fertilization of the earth by the ashes, and the regrowth coming up, stronger then ever. Mobilized by the strength of the land to overcome adversity, hes seeking now to travel and preserve nature where he can, and bring the cleansing powers of fire to all who would harm it.

Hal
2008-04-18, 09:21 PM
Well, as much as I love alchemy, it's going to be overshadowed by your spellcasting very quickly. You'll probably abandon it rather quickly just as a practical matter.

That being said, some feats (PHB2) for maximizing your alchemical skills: Grenadier gives you bonuses to attack and damage with splash weapons (alchemist's fire) and Mad Alchemist gives you three tactical abilities, the one you'll be interested in allows you to hit someone with alchemist's fire, then hit them with a fire spell in the next round to set them alight.

I think there's another one that doubles damage done with alchemical items, but I'm not recalling it at the moment.

Nebo_
2008-04-18, 09:32 PM
Alchemy sucks. You're better off reflavouring spells to look like Alchemy.

Rogue 7
2008-04-18, 09:57 PM
At the very least, name him Roy Mustang or something similar.

Vikazc
2008-04-18, 09:58 PM
I have eventual plans with my DM to progress alchemical items as we level up, so Im not worried about that. Im just not sure what feats and items might be helpful to acquire as i go.