PDA

View Full Version : Magic Arrows

Shinton
2008-04-18, 08:39 PM
So I was thinking...

Arcane archer gets imbue arrow... +1-+5...

For some reason, I don't see this as imbue.

I was thinking something along the lines of...

Imbue Arrow
The Archer before you draws an arrow and holds it before him. As he holds it, it begins to glow a bright orange color. He then knocks it and lets fly. As it hits the wall he was aiming at "Boom!": A fireball.

As an arcane archer you have learned to channel your spells through your arrows as you launch them at your enemies.

As a standard action you may apply a spell with a level less than or equal to 1/2 of your level (min 1). This spell must be "offensive", it must do damage to the target. Healing spells may also be applied (if applicable... dunno if it should be arcane only.) as long as the arrow strikes an undead creature. If it hits a living creature, they take standard arrow damamge.

-------------------

So what do you think?

Would this be considered Craft Magic Arms and Armor?

dman11235
2008-04-18, 08:52 PM
What?

AAs get Enhance Arrow, which grants every arrow fired from their bows an enhancement bonus, and then Imbue Arrow which allows them to place an area effect spell on an arrow and then lets them fire the arrow, the AoE originating from the arrow. As the same action, btw.

Shinton
2008-04-18, 10:06 PM
oh... hehe

guess thats what i get for (not)researching first. >.<

Sorry.

NecroRebel
2008-04-18, 10:25 PM
It might not be a bad idea for an archer-gish feat, actually... The Arcane Archer class is considered pretty abysmally bad due to the fact that it A) does not advance spellcasting, B) has extremely limited uses for its abilities as all but Enchant Arrow and Imbue Arrow are 1/day, and C) a bad capstone ability as DC20 Fort or die is low (compare to a scroll-cast Finger of Death with DC20, which is attainable much more easily at level 13 to the AA's 17 earliest for Arrow of Death; a weaker-end Wizard's FoD will be DC~24 at 17).

Let's see...

Arcane Shot (General)
Prerequisite: BAB +5, ability to cast 1st level spells

Benefit: As a full-round action, the character may fire a projectile with an area spell placed upon it. When the projectile is fired, the spell’s area is centered on where the projectile lands, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. This ability allows the character to use the launcher's range rather than the spell’s range.

Special: A Fighter or Wizard may select Arcane Shot as one of their bonus feats.

Something like that, maybe? The wording would have to be redone a bit, but it should be reasonably balanced. I made it work with any projectile, not just arrows, and as is it can be acquired as early as... I think level 6 is earliest for it.

It does have a problem that the AA's Imbue Arrow does, though, in that arguably a spell with a cone or line area extends from the caster to the edge of its range and the range is now several hundred, or even thousand, feet due to the launcher's possible range, but that reading is... Questionable. At best.