PDA

View Full Version : DMG and MM

The Cats
2008-04-19, 02:30 AM
Worth it to get them even if I don't plan on DMing anytime soon? Any information in there that would be good to know?

Rutee
2008-04-19, 02:34 AM
If you have to ask, probably not. The DMG's only real uses for certified players are PrCs and loot, almost all of which are in the SRD.

JaxGaret
2008-04-19, 02:45 AM
The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm) has the lion's share of the crunchy information from the DMG and MM, and also from UA, the PHB, the XPH, D+D, and the ELH. Also some handy links on the right-hand side.

The Cats
2008-04-19, 02:47 AM
OK, thanks. Now how about if I want a good, heavy batch of books to smack someone in the head with? PHB+DMG+MM a good choice? Or should I just go with the good ol' dictionary/War and Peace? (Though finding those in hardcover might be a challenge)

JaxGaret
2008-04-19, 02:49 AM
I'd go with The Book of Five Rings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Five_Rings).

Mordokai
2008-04-19, 02:51 AM
I bought both of DMG and MM since I have intention to start DMing in near future and because I enjoy reading books much more than reading monitor. So it's really a matter of personal preference.

As for smacking people with books, the three core books will make a find candidate on that field, me thinks :smallsmile:

Chronos
2008-04-19, 11:43 AM
OK, thanks. Now how about if I want a good, heavy batch of books to smack someone in the head with?For that, you want the 2nd edition Monstrous Compendium. It comes in a big fat binder about three inches thick.

drengnikrafe
2008-04-19, 11:58 AM
If you were planning on DMing something in person anytime soon, I'd say definantly. Not a whole lot of things are quite as annoying as having your DM walk back and forth to the computer to check on the stats of his monster, over and over...
If you want the information only while you're at a computer, then yeah, SRD is perfect. However, buying a DMG and/or a MM is great because then you can use it as bedtime stories, and on the bus, and whatnot.

As for smacking people, a lot of books will go good for that. Just make sure you're enthusiastic about it. If they're being stupid, pick up the Complete Idiot (sadly, it doesn't exist), and whack them yelling "SMITE IDIOT!" If they're being a jerk to the other players, you pick up the Book of Vile Darkness, and yell "SMITE EVIL!"...
Or, maybe that's personal preference. I'm not sure.