PDA

View Full Version : is this possible

Jayngfet
2008-04-19, 03:30 AM
imagine an insanely difficult dungeon, at the end there is the placantary made of solid gold with jewels lined along the side, the lich is out, unsure of it's exact location the party splits, the rogue finds it, he grabs it and runs, falling prey to a combination of deadly metal and magic, killing him and teleporting his prize back to it's pedestal, he arises as a sepulcher thief, his animated body barely escaping the mad wizards corpse as it returns...

it it viable, just idle thinking on my part.

dman11235
2008-04-19, 08:32 AM
A trap that casts finger of death from an object and then after the casting greater teleports or dimension doors the item back the the starting place and resets? Sure. Get creative, I just did most of the work for you, figuring out the spells.

AKA_Bait
2008-04-19, 08:44 AM
Certianly it is. If you are the DM, you don't even need to worry about how it was accomplished, mechanically. A lich has had plenty of time to come up with his own custom trap. Go for it, sounds interesting.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-19, 08:56 AM
... what the heck is a placantary?

AKA_Bait
2008-04-19, 08:57 AM
I think we can assume he meant Phylactery.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-19, 09:36 AM
I think I'll assume it's something to do with placentas. The Tom Cruise Lich.

Danzaver
2008-04-19, 12:19 PM
I think I'll assume it's something to do with placentas. The Tom Cruise Lich.

Urgh... That conjures up some interesting imagery involving Oprah's couch...

Pirate_King
2008-04-19, 12:41 PM
I'm calling it the placentary in any silly campaign I run from now on.

JaxGaret
2008-04-19, 01:05 PM
The placentary the OP mentioned is obviously the offal from a Gold Dragon who gave birth.

Duh.

Jayngfet
2008-04-19, 05:05 PM
I was reffering to the lich and sepulchure thief, not the trap.

AKA_Bait
2008-04-19, 05:13 PM
I was reffering to the lich and sepulchure thief, not the trap.

You mean that you are concerned if the two can exist in the same place? Why not? The lich can be unaware of the theif or use it to further its own plans, like switching out the phylactery.

Jayngfet
2008-04-19, 05:17 PM
You mean that you are concerned if the two can exist in the same place? Why not? The lich can be unaware of the theif or use it to further its own plans, like switching out the phylactery.

it could also generate some sort of mad competition to see who can keep it the longest, potentially crippeling the local area thanks to the lich's spells and a cleptomaniac zombie running around

this could make an interesting campane.

Mewtarthio
2008-04-19, 05:38 PM
What's a Sepulcher Thief? Google only points me back to this topic.

Jayngfet
2008-04-19, 09:34 PM
What's a Sepulcher Thief? Google only points me back to this topic.

it's an undead template from cityscape, if a high enough level thief(fifth level I think) dies when planning, executing, or shortly after a huge job his soul becomes imprisoned in that object, like a lich, he begins stealing again, valuing a poor families last coin as much as the prized possession of a noble family, he hides them in a lair, he gets double standard treasure when fought in this lair, if killed he regenerates until the object storing his soul is destroyed.

Jack Mann
2008-04-19, 11:25 PM
Okay, but just to be absolutely clear here, you do in fact mean phylactery, yes? That is the word you were attempting to spell?

In that case, there's no problem with it by the rules. There's nothing to say that two souls can't coexist in the same place. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Wooter
2008-04-19, 11:35 PM
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Six.
Well, if you want to be precise, 6.027, but it's close enough.

Jayngfet
2008-04-19, 11:40 PM
Six.
Well, if you want to be precise, 6.027, but it's close enough.

seven if you only use astral devas