PDA

View Full Version : nale and xykons familiers?

Gamerlord
2008-04-19, 07:42 AM
if i remember correctly,sorceres get familiers like wizards,so where are nale and xykon's familiers?

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-19, 07:53 AM
Probably playing Texas Hold-Em with Vaarsuvius' familiar... :smallwink:

SoD Spoiler
Although I'm wiling to admit, I've always wondered what ever happened to Barky...

Ecalsneerg
2008-04-19, 08:31 AM
if i remember correctly,sorceres get familiers like wizards,so where are nale and xykon's familiers?

Either:
1. largely forgotten, like V's familiar
2. they didn't spend 100 gp and a day having a ritual to get one

Deslan
2008-04-19, 09:04 AM
possibly alternate class features, not everyone takes a familiar.

Although, they would be the only ones that come to mind with an alternate class feature.

monty
2008-04-19, 11:47 AM
Also, familiars can be a significant liability, since they're not particularly strong (half the master's already low hit points) and if they die:

If the familiar dies or is dismissed by the sorcerer, the sorcerer must attempt a DC 15 Fortitude saving throw. Failure means he loses 200 experience points per sorcerer level; success reduces the loss to one-half that amount.

Not a huge loss, but if you're constantly getting attacked by adventurers, it might be easier to just not have one (or keep it somewhere safe).

Zordrath
2008-04-19, 12:22 PM
Especially Xykon strikes me as the guy who doesn't even know he could get one, and if he knew, he wouldn't bother. He's already got a quite huge army of much more competent followers, anyway.

Beholder1995
2008-04-20, 08:04 AM
(WARNING: Waaaay off topic)

Lord Zordrath, that is one SICK avatar. Who made it?

Ghastly Epigram
2008-04-20, 08:25 AM
Yeah, familiars can be more bother than they are worth, especially when you are at Xykon's level and position. The idea probably just never occurred to him anyway. Though I admit it could be kinda cool if Nale had one.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-20, 02:06 PM
Xykon may have the instant metamagic class feature. He walks and then attacks here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0459.html) Not conclusive, but it looks like that is both more than 5 feet (though I can't be sure of that) and the same round as he launches a metamagic'd spell (Soon doesn't attack him until after he both moves and attacks). Not certain, though.