PDA

View Full Version : Sculpt Spell Feat and the Warmage

Questioner
2008-04-19, 10:13 AM
Hi All,

I've read in other posts that this is a pretty good feat for the Warmage to take. I guess my question is what kind of spells does this feat affect. Does it work with ray spells? If so, do you make a seperate attack roll at all creatures affected by the rays? I can think of a bunch of other kinds spells which I'm not sure this feat would work with. Is Energy Substitution a better choice? My Warmage is 6th level right now and about to hit 7th, so I'm kind of low-level at this point. Any tips or hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

Artanis
2008-04-19, 11:04 AM
IIRC, I think Sculpt Spell only works on spells with an area of effect, because it lets you manipulate that area of effect. If that's the case, it would have no effect on rays since rays only have one target (like a glowing arrow or something). However, it'd still probably come in pretty handy because the Warmage has so d*** many OTHER AoE spells :smallwink:

Energy Substitution wouldn't do you much good at this point because you have more ways to get around energy resistances/immunities than you can shake a stick at. It's handy if you plan to take Energy Admixture (which can get really, REALLY nasty with Sudden Maximize), but Energy Admixture won't be usable for quite some time anyways.

Unfortunately, Sculpt Spell is about the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that actually would be better than Energy Substitution. Maybe Empower Spell, but I'll let somebody else who's more familiar with this stuff make suggestions.

Edit: As an almost entirely unrelated aside, one of the coolest (not necessarily most effective, but coolest) combos I've come up with is using Admixture and a Recaster to spray a fire hose of electrified acid at enemies by casting Fireball

SilverClawShift
2008-04-19, 11:05 AM
Ray spells aren't area spells.

Any spell that Sculpt Spell can be applied to will have an "Area" in the spells description. Compare Lightning Bolt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/lightningBolt.htm) with Ray of Frost (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rayOfFrost.htm).

The Lightning Bolt has an area of a 120 foot line. Normally, a lightning bolt will just tear through everything in a single direction for 120 feet. With sculpt spell, you can turn that into, say, a ball with a radius of 20 feet (aka, pick a point on the map, and that point gets hit with the lightning bolt). instead
The Ray of Frost has no area, it's just a ray. Point and shoot.